IGNORED

Let's say you are making your way on to the PGA Tour...

tigerrag
Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lets say you are just getting your career off the ground and heading onto the tour.  You are given 5 sponsors exemptions to non-major tournaments (and not including The Players).

What 5 events would you want to play in?

Also, who would you want as your equipment and clothing sponsors?

I've always found it fun to think about these things.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1.  The 5 events with the weakest fields.  They'd give me the best opportunity for the highest finish, thus earning the most money, and improving my chances to retain my card.

2.   Whoever paid me the most.  

Early in my career I'd be the biggest cash wh*re out there.  :-D

• Upvote 3

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

1.  The 5 events with the weakest fields.  They'd give me the best opportunity for the highest finish, thus earning the most money, and improving my chances to retain my card.

Early in my career I'd be the biggest cash ***** out there.  :-D

Haha...this!! Play in the comps the big boys dont care for and play anything anyone was willing to pay me for! 

Events- RSM Classic Sea Island, WM Phoenix Open, RBC Heritage, Wells Fargo, Wyndham Championship

Clubs- Titleist woods, Mizuno irons, Vokey wedges, SeeMore Putter (My current bag)

Ball- Pro V1

Polo apparel 

Nike shoes

Sponsors- Natural Light, Grizzly, Net Jets

Titleist 913 D3 project x 7c3
Trident Golf 3w, 5w Apollo stepless steel stiff+
Mizuno MP-60 (4-6) Mizuno MP-32 (7-9) S300
Titleist SM 5 46/50/54/58
SeeMore FGP Original SuperStroke fatso 5.0
Pro V1

If I were good enough to work my way on tour, Id try and go the old school way of qualifying for the US Open, so that would be 6 tourneys including my Top 5 favorite (for a rookie) Sanderson Farms, Harbour Town, Phoenix Open, Sony, and the Puerto Rico Open.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I'd play 5 events in the early part of the season (Safeway, CIMB, Shriners, OHL, RSM).  The fields for those events are less strong.  If by some miracle I won, that gets me into the Masters. Plus doing well early possibly raises my world ranking and/or money standing sufficiently to get into some of the other majors and/or limited field events.

As far as sponsors, I would take whomever was willing to sponsor me - within reason.  Titleist would be #1 but any of the recognized OEM's would be fine.  The truth is, my bag would likely have "Ballpark Franks" or something like that on it. 

• Upvote 2

Brian Kuehn

22 minutes ago, anker0071 said:

Events- RSM Classic Sea Island, WM Phoenix Open, RBC Heritage, Wells Fargo, Wyndham Championship

Clubs- Titleist woods, Mizuno irons, Vokey wedges, SeeMore Putter (My current bag)

Ball- Pro V1

Polo apparel 

Nike shoes

Sponsors- Natural Light, Grizzly, Net Jets

Whoa, a fellow lefty in Charlotte!?

I think my 5 events (not taking into account the rest of the field, just ones I'd enjoy most) would be:

Waste Management Open in Phoenix: it's the most fun atmosphere on tour

Wells Fargo Championship: closest to home, could have a lot of friends and family there

RBC Heritage: same as the Wells Fargo, plus Harbour Town is awesome

Arnold Palmer Invitational: always one of my favorite tournaments, is going to be extra special this year

Zurich Classic: Nawlins!

For sponsors, my pipe dream choices would be:

Apparel: Polo

Shoes: Foot Joy

Equipment: PXG with a Snell ball

1 hour ago, tigerrag said:

Whoa, a fellow lefty in Charlotte!?

yeah man, love it here

Titleist 913 D3 project x 7c3
Trident Golf 3w, 5w Apollo stepless steel stiff+
Mizuno MP-60 (4-6) Mizuno MP-32 (7-9) S300
Titleist SM 5 46/50/54/58
SeeMore FGP Original SuperStroke fatso 5.0
Pro V1

Clothing and equipment...whoever pays me the most!  This could end up with me wearing a spinning advertising arrow down the course, but so be it.

Tournaments would be....
1. Canadian Open, my national tournament
2. Whatever they're calling the L.A. Open these days, Riviera is such a lovely-looking course
3. Pebble Beach Pro-Am, as long as I could team up with celebrity partner Scarlett Johansson
4. Heritage Open, Hilton Head looks like a blast to play
5. Greater Hartford Open, since Hartford is America's most scenic city!

I would choose tournaments that are in close proximity to my friends and family so they could come watch and courses I would like to play. 

1. The Greenbrier Classic. Old White is home to the WV Amateur 99% of the time. 

2. The Memorial. Only a couple hours from my house and it's Jack's tournament.  You don't turn down an invite from Jack.

3. The FedEx St Jude. Always liked the look of the course on TV.

4. The Genesis Open. Who doesn't want to take a walk down Hogan's Alley?

5. The Waste Management Open. Since we are talking sponsors exemptions,  it may be your only chance to get cheered or jeered by thousands on a golf course. 

Apparel: I really like my Izod shirts, pants, and shorts.

Shoes: Ecco, most comfortable golf shoe I've worn. I wear them now and they don't pay me.

Clubs: Whatever works best after hitting everything on a launch monitor. I like my hodge podge setup. 7 different manufacturers in my bag from Driver to Putter, 8 counting ball. I will not change putters.

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

On 3/10/2017 at 9:48 AM, bkuehn1952 said:

I'd play 5 events in the early part of the season (Safeway, CIMB, Shriners, OHL, RSM).  The fields for those events are less strong.  If by some miracle I won, that gets me into the Masters. Plus doing well early possibly raises my world ranking and/or money standing sufficiently to get into some of the other majors and/or limited field events.

As far as sponsors, I would take whomever was willing to sponsor me - within reason.  Titleist would be #1 but any of the recognized OEM's would be fine.  The truth is, my bag would likely have "Ballpark Franks" or something like that on it. 

Agree here. Spreading your events apart is going to kill any momentum. I would play a string of consecutive events so my game could get into "tournament shape" and hopefully pave the way for later opportunities in the season.

I don't really car much about who sponsors me. Any major reputable company is fine.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

The first 5 events of the season! That's when everyone's in their "winter" form, if pros even have that.

Id love to be sponsored by PXG for clubs, an Edel putter cause i've always wanted one, and volvik balls. The bright purple one is my favorite but it's pretty hard to find now. I found one on the course at ASU Karsten and the first hole I used it I made birdie so I put it away and never touched it again, finish on a high note they say.

As for apparel I like nike clothes but sometimes I don't like the no collar look they have their guys wear. I also don't like the new modern golf shoes, I prefer a more classic look. I'd probably want to look something like this, just hopeful not a walking billboard and preferably not orange it's my least favorite color. IMG_7213.thumb.JPG.f09f16cc3c63bf839aeebe1284cc7f91.JPG

1. Sony Open - dude it's Hawaii!!

2. Pebble Beach Pro Am - dude it's Pebble Beach!

3. Waste Mgmt - dude it's loud and insane!

4. Memorial - dude it's JACK!

5. RBC - dude there's a lighthouse!!

On 3/10/2017 at 8:21 AM, David in FL said:

Early in my career I'd be the biggest cash wh*re out there.  :-D

This pretty much sums up my opinion, as well.  That rookie season is all about getting tour experience and making money.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

I would be looking for the courses that suit my game the most. I don't hit the ball a mile so a place like Quail Hollow (Wells Fargo)? No chance.

1) OHL Classic at Mayakoba would be a good option. Course isn't super long. Plus Mexico is cool.

2) The RSM Classic at Seaside.

3) RBC Heritage for sure. Harbor Town is a great course.

4) AT&T at Pebble maybe?

and 5) probably the Travelers at TPC River Highlands.

Boom. All shorter courses that I would think are built for my game. Most of them also happen to be weaker events.

I would be sponsored by Taylormade for woods and irons, Edel for wedges and putter. Nike clothing.

Man, life would be good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2017 at 10:17 AM, SavvySwede said:

Agree here. Spreading your events apart is going to kill any momentum. I would play a string of consecutive events so my game could get into "tournament shape" and hopefully pave the way for later opportunities in the season.

Here's my plan: This is pure fantasy, so I'll do a Capt. Kirk, skirt the Kobayashi Maru, break the rules and play in six!

1. March 23-26  Puerto Rico Open (pre-season)
  2. June 8-11  FedEx St. Jude's Classic (Al Geiberger shot first ever PGA tour round of 59 here in 1977)
  3. June 22-24  Traveler's Champ (in CT, sweaters in June, may keep away faint-hearted)
  4. July 13-16  John Deere Classic (been as fan - it's friendly)
  5. July 20-23  Barbasol Championship (superstars at The Open)
  6. July 27-30  RBC Canadian Open (Canada is cool - weather and people!)

I would have a week off between the June events to reload, and then play three straight in July. I'm 66, so playing five straight weeks probably isn't a good idea.

If I didn't win and get more exemptions, I could still work as a fill-in caddie late in the season.

Sponsorships: Probably go with Callaway, as long as I could keep the Slotline putter.

Clothing? I'd just check with my playing partners to make sure we had on different colored shirts to cut down on confusion for TV fans.

Edited by WUTiger

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• iacas changed the title to Let's say you are making your way on to the PGA Tour...
Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!