IGNORED

Grass Re-Growth Rate

Note: This thread is 2509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure, if i put this in the right section. I couldnt find anything related to grass turf management.

So i am looking to set up a grass area in my yard for backyard net practice. I will create a big rectangle and plant new grass but wanted to see if someone can give me some more info.

How fast can grass really regrow? (I want to be able to practice 4-5 times a week with real grass and also have enough sections for it to regrow in time)

What type of grass is best?

What type of grass mix is best for refilling divots?

I also have a real feel mat hitting strip that i will be putting down as the main practice area, but want some real grass too.

Thanks!

Edited by hack2scratch

WITB: Titleist 975D, Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 5i,7i,9i, Mizuno Black Ox Raw 56* SW, Ping Anser 3 lives in a TourTrek Sunday Carry Bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not an expert or a landscaper, but if I were doing this, I'd consider regular re-sodding instead.  Grass takes time to grow, and takes a lot of care.  Call local landscape companies and tell them you'd like to buy a certain amount of sod every month.

- John

• iacas changed the title to Grass Re-Growth Rate
  • 1 month later...

That's an idea. Another one is to ask some greenkeepers in your area. They'll know what grows how in your area. At it's most basic that is their job, growing grass and cutting it!

I debated doing this in my yard as well. Took a lot of time to research and talked to my course superintendent. A lot of upkeep after you get the right soil composition and finally realized I can just go to the range 2 miles down the road. However I did opt to make a artificial green and chipping area for short game practice when. The kids go to bed.

A tip from my dad on maintaining a yard is to make sure you sharpen the blades on your lawn mower at least once a year. This way you are not tearing up the grass instead of cutting it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Heck, I put an edge on mine after every couple of cuts! And clean under the deck. I have it down to a science so it doesn't take all that much time. I do mine and my next door neighbor's. She's on disability with a blown out back. Sure makes the job easier.

And yes, trying to maintain "golf course quality" turf is going to be a job. A buddy of mine wanted to build a putting green, natural grass, in his back yard. Never mind how much it would cost to establish even a modest sized green, I just asked him what he was going to cut it with!

From what I understand, the reason courses' practice areas are wanting you to place your ball about 1/2" back each stroke and to make a rectangle or sorts when you're done practicing is that they go in and fill your rectangle with sod. If you're one of the hack-a-moles that wants a full, clean strip of grass for you to hit an incredibly inconsistent shot... the employees are looking at you like :pound: because they can't fill each of your completely separated divots with sod.

Municipal courses though I think do more of just moving tees up and back on a regular rotation. They also close the grass areas often, to allow regrowth. Picking the correct grass is critical. Courses in my area are mostly bermuda fairways and rough but the tee boxes (and practice areas... err, actually just the driving range) are a different grass that does grow faster for sure.

I would just go with re-sodding. Probably not that big of a deal for just one person's practice interval. Probably not even that expensive. Hope you have a truck, though!

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

On 3/21/2017 at 4:39 PM, hack2scratch said:

Not sure, if i put this in the right section. I couldnt find anything related to grass turf management.

So i am looking to set up a grass area in my yard for backyard net practice. I will create a big rectangle and plant new grass but wanted to see if someone can give me some more info.

How fast can grass really regrow? (I want to be able to practice 4-5 times a week with real grass and also have enough sections for it to regrow in time)

What type of grass mix is best for refilling divots?

Use what ever native grass is in your area.  You'll use a sand/seed mix like you see in golf carts.  Get a rake or something that will keep the surface smooth (if you have a dog, good luck!).  Most grass will regrow on its own so long as the divots you take aren't deep.  Using the sand/seed mix to re-seed will definitely speed up growth, but to get back to hitting conditions, it'll take 2-3 weeks maybe.  It'll depend on weather, how much you water, if you want to use fertilizer, etc.  You'll want to have a reel mower to have better/lower cuts too.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:39 PM, hack2scratch said:

In your area typically a "Cool Weather" grass would be used. If you want the real deal, grow "Bent grass" which is a small blade grass.
There are various strains use for different climates. I suggest you speak with a local Green Keeper and they would steer you in the right direction. I think a native grass may be Kentucky Blue Grass which would give you options. 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2017 at 10:36 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Heck, I put an edge on mine after every couple of cuts! And clean under the deck. I have it down to a science so it doesn't take all that much time. I do mine and my next door neighbor's. She's on disability with a blown out back. Sure makes the job easier.

And yes, trying to maintain "golf course quality" turf is going to be a job. A buddy of mine wanted to build a putting green, natural grass, in his back yard. Never mind how much it would cost to establish even a modest sized green, I just asked him what he was going to cut it with!

This is what I used when I built a grass putting green in my yard.....

mower.jpg

Edited by RickK

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Note: This thread is 2509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!