IGNORED

Can't hit tee shots with the sun at my back

Hello all,

I have just joined the forum although have been reading posts here for quite some time. Β My HCP has gone from 28 to 9 since last June. Β I am in the driving range every morning, I play 9 holes after work and then I hit the gym. Β I want to get to scratch by the end of the year. Β I live in southern Portugal so I am lucky to play year round.

I have a unique problem that I haven't read posted before. Β When I started golfing, I was fighting slices and fades. Β After changing my grip and working on my swing 9/10 times I hit a draw, fighting hooks on bad shots.

However, for some reason when I step up to the tee to hit a drive with the sun directly at my back with my shadow being cast in front of me, I hit fades. Β Something is completely throwing me off. Β I lose distance as well.

Has anyone else dealt with this?Β  What is causing it? Β Any tips appreciated.

(edited)
32 minutes ago, ramstf said:

However, for some reason when I step up to the tee to hit a drive with the sun directly at my back with my shadow being cast in front of me, I hit fades. Β Something is completely throwing me off. Β I lose distance as well.

I'm sure lots of people have an occasional issue when their shadow is over the ball. Β What causes your fade? Β Somehow, your swing patch and/or face angle is different on these shots, as compared to your normal swing. Β How do you fix it? Β It becomes mind over matter, you have to find a way to make your normal swing all the time, no matter where your shadow is. Β My suggestion is to firstΒ recognize that your shadow could beΒ an issue, as you're getting set up for the shot. Β Then, concentrate even more than usual on making a regular normal swing. Β Look at your shadow, and then focus on the ball, put the shadow completely out of your mind. Β Its not easy at first, but you'll learn.

To me this is a little similar to dealing with a water hazard. Β When I'm getting ready for my shot, I'll look at the hazard, recognize that I do NOT want to be in the hazard, and then focus on the spot where I DO want to end up. Β I'm not thinking about what I DON'T want to do, I'm concentrating on what I DO want.

Edited by DaveP043

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 minutes ago, ramstf said:

The main thing that throws off my swing is my tempo and coming up too fast. Is it possible that seeing your own shadow changes your timing somehow?

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, ramstf said:

Hello all,

I have just joined the forum although have been reading posts here for quite some time. Β My HCP has gone from 28 to 9 since last June. Β I am in the driving range every morning, I play 9 holes after work and then I hit the gym. Β I want to get to scratch by the end of the year. Β I live in southern Portugal so I am lucky to play year round.

I have a unique problem that I haven't read posted before. Β When I started golfing, I was fighting slices and fades. Β After changing my grip and working on my swing 9/10 times I hit a draw, fighting hooks on bad shots.

If you can, practice with it. It used to bug me but then I started working on it at the range and at home into my net. I can set up my net so the sun is at my back in the afternoon.Β I use the shadow to make sure I'm not sliding back in my backswing.

Now it doesn't bother me for full swings or putting and it is almost like a swing aid.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Now it doesn't bother me for full swings or putting and it is almost like a swing aid.

This could possibly be a violation of the rules. . .luckily you wrote "almost".

Β 

Β 

:-D

Β 

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just now, Lihu said:

Β 

Β 

:-D

Β 

Words are important!Β :whistle:

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I'm pretty certain that the sun doesn't fit the definition of a "device".

Dave

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm pretty certain that the sun doesn't fit the definition of a "device".

Sunlight fits within the definition of "Elements", and brings up a point that might be good for another thread pertaining to 14-2a.

However, I wasn't being serious anyway. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

4 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Sunlight fits within the definition of "Elements", and brings up a point that might be good for another thread pertaining to 14-2a.

However, I wasn't being serious anyway. :-D

Please, please, no more 14-2a11 Β Although the sun IS part of the elements, and you're not allowed to

.... make aΒ strokeΒ while accepting physical assistance ...Β from the elements

Β On second thought, I agree, this can't be serious. :surrender:Β  Its Friday, lets go get a beer insteadΒ :beer:

Dave

Just now, DaveP043 said:

Please, please, no more 14-2a11 Β Although the sun IS part of the elements, and you're not allowed to

Β On second thought, I agree, this can't be serious. :surrender:Β  Its Friday, lets go get a beer insteadΒ :beer:

That's my plan! :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I can see why that would be an issue.Β  You're getting a lot of extra info that you just don't need.Β  Practice will fix it eventually.

I used to practice full swings with eyes closed and got pretty good.Β  That's an option.

or just pack a left handed driver so you have another option

Β 

.......................... or just aim a little more left and plan for a slightly shorter drive

Edited by rehmwa

Bill -Β 

5 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

This might be the weirdest thing I've ever heard off...

What, shadow troubles? Β I think it's not all that uncommon.

If you're talking about me and @LihuΒ acting like buffoons, that's not all that uncommon either. Β Weird, perhaps, but not uncommon.

Dave

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If you're talking about me and @LihuΒ acting like buffoons, that's not all that uncommon either. Β Weird, perhaps, but not uncommon.

hmmm...I see....

57 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Yup, not uncommon, at least on my end. . . :-D

Β 

Β 

54 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

hmmm...I see....

Apparently we posted in the wrong thread. We need your healing lounge. :whistle:

Β 

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

There are only 2 options I can think of:

• You subconsciously alter your swing to avoid looking into the sun (which ... I'm not sure how you'd look into the sun behind you).
  • It happened a few times and you ascribed blame to the sun even though it doesn't happen all that much.Β 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I can remember wearing bifocals and having them bother me in shadow areas. I quit wearing them, and went with a really dark shade of sunglasses. That seemed to help.Β 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer: