IGNORED

Why am I not hitting my driver proportional to my irons and woods?

Note: This thread is 2547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a Callaway Big Bertha Alpha with a stiff shaft (my irons are super stiff, my woods are stiff) and I can't hit it very far. I can hit my 7 iron 145-155 using a typically relaxed swing (i'm not trying to hit it very hard), I can hit my 3 hybrid 200-210 and a 3 wood as far as 225 yards off the tee, however I can only hit my driver an average of 230ish. My longest drive was 290, 250 yard drives are somewhat uncommon and 200 yard drives are relatively common. I can post a video if needed but as of now I'm curious about anything people have done when they were in a similar situation. I should also point out its 9 degrees and set on -1 loft and on a draw setting, I usually hit it relatively low, but I can shape my shot to go higher/lower if needed. 

Possibly too much spin?

It could be any number of things. I would go to a store or place with a launch monitor then find out what shaft works best for you.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, TripleEagle said:

I should also point out its 9 degrees and set on -1 loft and on a draw setting,

It's this, I'm sure.   given your distances, it doesn't sound like you are generating a ton of clubhead speed.   

It's a 9 degree diver, you have it lowered another degree, so down to 8 degrees.  and the draw setting closes the face, which brings to down even further to like 7 or 7.5.   

You're not getting nearly enough carry.  If you are hitting it flush, the loft is killing you.  and if you feel like you are getting plenty of loft on your drives, then you are popping it up a bit.   If your 7 iron is only going abut 150, I bet your club-head speed with your driver is between 95-100.    

change those settings on that driver.   +2 loft, and straight setting.   learn to hit a slight draw with those settings and you'll see a lot more drives around 260 or so..   
with your clubhead speed, you want to get your launch angle up around 15 degrees.   which would be +2 loft on the driver plus about 4 degrees of upward attack angle.  

Edited by lastings
  • Upvote 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I have to agree with the above. Get thee to a launch monitor and get your launch angle and spin rate numbers. I was hitting a 9.5* Driver and recently bought a new one adjustable to 12*. Currently I'm hitting it at 11.5* and getting much better distance on my drives. Finally getting some carry!

I am a big believer that when we find lack of consistency on distance with the same club (driver), in your case 200 to 290...is usually the Indian more than the arrow. 

At my handicap level, I can be all over the pace with distance specially with the driver. I worked on my driver swing quite a bit because I feel should be able to hit it 250+ consistently for a guy my size 210lbs, 5'11 who can now hit an 8 iron 150 more times than not. 

I found a flow in my driver swing mechanics related to not truly following thru and standing too close to the ball.

One day at the range i committed to work on these points  :   1) stand further away while still staying connected  2) make a bigger better back turn without sliding 3) WAITING for the club to set on the top of the back swing  4) Start the swing with my legs and clear my hips 5) Slow the transition down and finally 6) put the speed more on the bottom of the swing and beyond with a softer grip...  Out of 30 swings I noticed I was really hitting most of them further than I ever have. It felt great. The ball fly had a little fade and sometimes it went perfectly straight. All this came with the thought of swinging up..

If you suspect that it could be your swing, you might be getting stuck somewhere or putting the speed in the right place of the swing. Clearing, commitment to the swing and better tempo has helped me a lot. 

Were you fit for the driver and shaft? If not go get fit. Then post a my swing thread if you haven't already and work on your swing.

Note: This thread is 2547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!