IGNORED

How to explain the "whoosh"?

Note: This thread is 2540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played with a newbie this past Saturday. Generally enthusiastic and friendly. Right off the bat he said he wasn't very good and was only playing for about a year or so. that means nothing to me, we all start somewhere. He was built like the new tour model, 6 ft tall, maybe 185 dripping wet. He had a very nice swing but it was almost in slow motion. He also seemed to be thinking about everything while over the ball. A kind of paralysis by analysis thing. I said nothing about it, but we chatted away about other things- he was originally from Germany, living here about 5 years, just bought a house nearby and hopes to play the course more often. A typical new player- some okay hits, and some real stinkers. Nobody behind us, so a few mulligans on his part was not a problem. And I kind of told him that. He didn't get mad or upset, because he said he kind of new he wasn't "good enough" to get really angry at it. But even his 'good' strikes went nowhere-ish. Sounded good, but just no pop. 

After we tee'd off at 8, he asked about his swing... after seemingly taking forever to set up and thinning one just past the red box. Not that I'm an expert but I told him:

"You're German, your analytical brain is not doing you any favors". he chuckled and said- Yeah, I tend to think too much... "Well, too much, and too long..."

"But the main thing I see is no "whoosh" at the bottom. You need to swing the clubhead 'faster', not harder. Especially at the bottom. Loosen up a bit on the downswing"

He couldn't quite grasp the concept of "whoosh". And I couldn't explain it, at least to him. So I had him swing at the next tee and listen. then had him look away while I was up and told him to just listen.

There was quite a difference in the sound, but trying to explain to him on how to get it was the tricky bit. He should be bombing them with his athletic build and good mechanics (in general), but after he gets to parallel at the top, it kind of goes into slow motion. His best drive went maybe 165-175 (but not straight). Almost no lag in the swing at all, so it seemed it was all shoulders. He never played baseball or hockey, so it was hard to get a picture in his head of what to think of while swinging when he went to the range. On the back 9, I asked him to just walk up, line up, setup and swing without all the brain activity. That seemed to help with fewer stinkers, but still no "whoosh". So how do you (or would you) explain the concept of "whoosh"?

7 minutes ago, RayG said:

So how do you (or would you) explain the concept of "whoosh"?

A simple demo would be to use a long iron or hybrid and grab the club head with just one hand.
Have him swing the club like a baseball swing or tennis backhand.
The grip will make the swoosh sound loader and also he will recognize the increase in shaft speed.

Next have him swing the club in the same manner hold it still by the club head end with both hands as he would hitting a golf shot.

You could also use a line-up stick, just be sure to keep a good grip on it.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't, for 2 reasons.

The first being, I generally avoid giving any kind of instruction.  I simply don't have the ability and knowledge necessary to determine what's really going on in someone else's swing and recognize that My ignorance could easily do more harm than good.

The second, is that I've seen a couple of people chasing that "whoosh", that found that the easiest way to get it is with a big ole flip.  They got the "whoosh", and were left with a weak, poorly controlled floppy swing as a result.

But, when all else fails, I still always revert back to reason number one. :-) 

• Upvote 4

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

+1 to what @David in FL said, plus… just because he's tall and/or of an "appropriate" weight doesn't mean he's built for SPEED. Some people have more speed than others.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

recognize that My ignorance could easily do more harm than good.

The second, is that I've seen a couple of people chasing that "whoosh", that found that the easiest way to get it is with a big ole flip.  They got the "whoosh", and were left with a weak, poorly controlled floppy swing as a result.

But, when all else fails, I still always revert back to reason number one. :-) 

Read more  

Bro, I told you before, stop talking about me man. :-D

Colin P.

On 5/1/2017 at 5:14 PM, iacas said:

+1 to what @David in FL said, plus… just because he's tall and/or of an "appropriate" weight doesn't mean he's built for SPEED. Some people have more speed than others.

Good point. The first pro tourney I ever attended was the 1973 US Open at Oakmont CC. I'm at the first tee when up walk Sam Snead and Chi Chi Rodriguez. Sam was my idol, and he bombed one out there! Then Chi Chi, all of 5'7" and maybe a buck 40 soaking wet, sticks a peg in the ground and just kills one out past Slammin' Sammy!

Let's face it.  It's hard to grasp what a swing is.

An analytical type imo as a newbie is less likely to discover it as opposed to a more athletic type.

Imo it's a dynamic deal. 

Edited by Jack Watson

Note: This thread is 2540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!