IGNORED

Point of sight at address

Note: This thread is 2504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What are you guys focusing on when at address?  I remember being shown a drill for learning ball first contact where you focus on a point about an 1" or so in front of the ball and I have tried that in the past and it works.  Over the weekend while doing some range work, I noticed that I tend to really focus on my club head at address. Taking into consideration that you can focus on a point 1" in front of the ball and it promotes a more forward bottom of the swing arc, would that not be the same in reverse? If I'm focusing on my club head (which is an 1" back, give or take), would that not trick me into mentally having a more rearward bottom of the swing arc? It's just a thought that went through my head while on the range as one possible cause of fat shots...

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, TN94z said:

What are you guys focusing on when at address?  I remember being shown a drill for learning ball first contact where you focus on a point about an 1" or so in front of the ball and I have tried that in the past and it works.  Over the weekend while doing some range work, I noticed that I tend to really focus on my club head at address. Taking into consideration that you can focus on a point 1" in front of the ball and it promotes a more forward bottom of the swing arc, would that not be the same in reverse? If I'm focusing on my club head (which is an 1" back, give or take), would that not trick me into mentally having a more rearward bottom of the swing arc? It's just a thought that went through my head while on the range as one possible cause of fat shots...

I know that when I watch my putterhead during my putting stroke, my head tends to follow its motion, which in turn leads to my body moving just a bit.  Not a good thing, really.  I'd be concerned that focusing on your clubhead during a full swing could have the same effect, your eyes might follow the motion of the clubhead, leading to unwanted movement of your head or body.  You might consider putting your attention on the back of the ball instead, which could accomplish the effect you're looking for.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I know that when I watch my putterhead during my putting stroke, my head tends to follow its motion, which in turn leads to my body moving just a bit.  Not a good thing, really.  I'd be concerned that focusing on your clubhead during a full swing could have the same effect, your eyes might follow the motion of the clubhead, leading to unwanted movement of your head or body.  You might consider putting your attention on the back of the ball instead, which could accomplish the effect you're looking for.

Exactly. What I started doing (once it hit me where my focal point was) was focusing on the middle portion of the ball instead. I found that this was a VERY odd feeling and I really had to force myself to change that point. Those feelings assure me that I have been focusing on the club head this entire time. Otherwise, it would not feel so strange to focus on the ball. It is something that I am going to work on going forward. I'm honestly not sure why I have never noticed this before...

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

I like to use the brand logo or any marking on the ball.
When I tee it up, I like to center the logo mark. When I putt, I rotate the ball perpendicular to the mark.
I find my focus is better when viewing the markings as opposed to just seeing a balls plain surface.
It also benefits fairway play or other lies. Such as a ball in deep rough with only the top visible or a plug ball in the sand.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

8 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I like to use the brand logo or any marking on the ball.
When I tee it up, I like to center the logo mark. When I putt, I rotate the ball perpendicular to the mark.
I find my focus is better when viewing the markings as opposed to just seeing a balls plain surface.
It also benefits fairway play or other lies. Such as a ball in deep rough with only the top visible or a plug ball in the sand.

Very good suggestion. I will try that in my next range session and see if that makes it easier.

Bryan A

My mental focus is on the target.  Specifically, the imaginary line from the ball to my intermediate point such that I swing on that line and to the target (the flag, middle of the green, tree in the distance...).  I look at the ground between the ball and the club head with the intent to swing through the ball catching ball first, grass and ground second.  If I focus on a part of the ball, I then make the ball the target and all sorts of bad things happen.   

For everything except the putter, I focus on a distinct part of the golf ball (a letter in the logo, the number, a dimple).  However, mentally I am always focusing on "throwing my club" at the target.  This helps me to drive the ball at my target instead of simply swinging to hit the ball.

With the putter, my number 1 rule is to never look at the putter head--if I do that, I get caught up worrying about the path of the club and lose focus on putting the ball to a target.  Instead, I kind of focus on the path I want the ball to travel on and don't really focus down on any details.  I am looking at the ball, but it isn't my focus.

Randal

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

The area where the ball is, but nothing specifically

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It sounds to me like you are talking about iron swings. I've heard all kinds of ideas, Look at the front of the ball, look at the top of the ball, look at the back of the ball. Like iacas said above, even Ben Hogan said he "lost sight" of his ball at some point during his swing.

Note: This thread is 2504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!