IGNORED

Different Putters have sweet spots in different places, what?

Note: This thread is 2489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I watched Seve's video on the short game on YouTube. (His English was a little rusty, but you can understand him).

When he got to the portion of the video on putting, he did a little demonstration on the sweet spot of his putter, (I believe it was a Ping Anser with the slot in the bottom). And he showed that the sweet spot was on the heel side of center with a golf ball and tapping it on the face until there was balanced movement, I guess.

So I tested this theory on 8 of my 9 putters. All of my toe hang putters were slightly toward the heel, my face balanced putters are hard to figure out, but possibly the center.

So my question is do different types of putters have different sweet spot locations?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Probably. The weight of the golf shaft and the hosel will shift the CG towards the heel. 

This is true with irons as well. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I also imagine that it has to do with the optimal type of putting stroke for which the putter was designed.  Those with more toe hang are designed with more of an open-to-square-to-closed arc type stroke and I expect that moving the sweet spot a bit towards the heel aids in that type of swing.

The bigger question though, is 9 FREAKING PUTTERS?!  :bugout:

:-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

I also imagine that it has to do with the optimal type of putting stroke for which the putter was designed.  Those with more toe hang are designed with more of an open-to-square-to-closed arc type stroke and I expect that moving the sweet spot a bit towards the heel aids in that type of swing.

The bigger question though, is 9 FREAKING PUTTERS?!  :bugout:

:-) 

I have about 7 of them I paid between $15-$50 for, my RX2 was $80, and my Exotics was $270... I can name them if you like.

1. Tour Edge Exotics David Glod Tour Series v1.3- toward the heel sweet spot

2. Cure RX2 about center

3. Boccieri Heavy Putter C2-DF about center

4. Boccieri Heavy Putter L3 Mid-weight about center

5. Ping ZIng 2- toward the heel

6. Taylormade Ghost Tour Daytona- toward the heel

7. Tour Edge Bazooka GeoMax 05- about center

8. Tour Edge Backdraft GT-2- toward heel

9. Wilson Augusta- near hosel

I wanted to get a Wilson 8802 but I'm not good enough for that.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

• Administrator
12 hours ago, David in FL said:

Myth.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Myth.

Agree. I'm not exactly sure why putters have different sweet spots. But my hypothesis is that different putters heads have weight distributed differently. Toe hang putters have more weight toward the toe. Face balanced putters have weight distributed more evenly.

Just a theory: So a face-balanced putter would be toward the center of the face, and a toe-hang putter would be more toward the heel to counteract the weight. 

Edited by onthehunt526
Forgot my scientfic theory

What's in Shane's Bag?     

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Myth.

Interesting.  Then why?  Both with respect to the sweet spot, and to the differences between face-balanced and varying degrees of toe hang.

In David's bag....

Good for you, onthehunt! As I've said before, never give away or sell an old putter! At some time in your life the putter you are currently using will so sour! If you have a bunch of old ones in your closet, odds are you will find something that works there! No reason to run out and spend outrageous money just so you can putt comfortably. You've probably already tried it!

18 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Good for you, onthehunt! As I've said before, never give away or sell an old putter! At some time in your life the putter you are currently using will so sour! If you have a bunch of old ones in your closet, odds are you will find something that works there! No reason to run out and spend outrageous money just so you can putt comfortably. You've probably already tried it!

Off Topic:

I only bought the 3 Tour Edge putters new... The others were either off of eBay or the second hand sporting goods store called Instant Replay Sports for between $10 and $40... The Zing 2 I bought there and the grip was in sad shape, so I spent the money to get a new Super Stroke on it. Not bad for a putter from 1984.

@iacas with your scientific background, could you possibly explain the original question?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

13 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Off Topic:

I only bought the 3 Tour Edge putters new... The others were either off of eBay or the second hand sporting goods store called Instant Replay Sports for between $10 and $40... The Zing 2 I bought there and the grip was in sad shape, so I spent the money to get a new Super Stroke on it. Not bad for a putter from 1984.

@iacas with your scientific background, could you possibly explain the original question?

I would say not off topic! My point was is that if you keep all of your old putters, no matter their cost, that when the one that you are now using doesn't work any more, you will have something in hand that will work! You don't have to go shopping, looking for the latest, hottest putter.

• Administrator
14 hours ago, David in FL said:

Interesting.  Then why?  Both with respect to the sweet spot, and to the differences between face-balanced and varying degrees of toe hang.

The toe hang = It's just a matter of how far away from the axis of the shaft the CG is. The more it is out toward the toe, the more toe hang you get. It doesn't matter where into the head the shaft actually connects - it's about the projection. Some shafts project through the CG even if they're heel-shafted, and you can have a center-shafted putter with a little toe hang, too (though that's uncommon).

Different sweet spots = that's just where the CG projects through the face. Impact toward the toe or heel results in twisting, so not the sweet spot. Project the CG location through the face and that's your "sweet spot." Both vertically and horizontally, though most people don't "thin" their putters or hit them too high on the face.

Different toe hangs favor different strokes = bogus myth. The forces and torques present in a putting stroke are really, really small. Find a putter you can aim. Find a putter with the overall weight profile that fits your distance control tendencies. The end. There's no physics reason why the really really small torques and forces present in a putting stroke should have any bearing on the type of stroke you use relative to the putter you use. Every iron we swing is toe-down… and we swing those at faster speeds with significantly more forces involved.

It just doesn't make any sense at all from a physics perspective. Your hands would have to be so finely attuned to the smallest amounts of rotational torque (redundant) that, well, you'd be superhuman.

13 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Did I above well enough?

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

59 minutes ago, iacas said:

The toe hang = It's just a matter of how far away from the axis of the shaft the CG is. The more it is out toward the toe, the more toe hang you get. It doesn't matter where into the head the shaft actually connects - it's about the projection. Some shafts project through the CG even if they're heel-shafted, and you can have a center-shafted putter with a little toe hang, too (though that's uncommon).

Different sweet spots = that's just where the CG projects through the face. Impact toward the toe or heel results in twisting, so not the sweet spot. Project the CG location through the face and that's your "sweet spot." Both vertically and horizontally, though most people don't "thin" their putters or hit them too high on the face.

Different toe hangs favor different strokes = bogus myth. The forces and torques present in a putting stroke are really, really small. Find a putter you can aim. Find a putter with the overall weight profile that fits your distance control tendencies. The end. There's no physics reason why the really really small torques and forces present in a putting stroke should have any bearing on the type of stroke you use relative to the putter you use. Every iron we swing is toe-down… and we swing those at faster speeds with significantly more forces involved.

It just doesn't make any sense at all from a physics perspective. Your hands would have to be so finely attuned to the smallest amounts of rotational torque (redundant) that, well, you'd be superhuman.

Did I above well enough?

Thanks, then I guess the question is, why do the manufactures vary toe hang and sweet spot placement.  I can't imagine it's accidental.  Are they just feeding the myth rather than trying to educate the public? 

In David's bag....

46 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Thanks, then I guess the question is, why do the manufactures vary toe hang and sweet spot placement.  I can't imagine it's accidental.  Are they just feeding the myth rather than trying to educate the public? 

I think it has a lot to do with looks as much as engineering. Certain putters fit people's eye more and help them aim better. If you aim better, you putt better. 

As for feeding the myth, maybe they just haven't really studied it as much as we think in terms of toe hang. Ping spent a lot of time on sound early on. SC, Ping and Callaway spend a lot of time on how the ball feels off the face.  We know sound and feel are important factors too.

Whenever I go to a golf store, I putt a bit. It doesn't seem to matter too much which putter I use as long as the shaft length is close and I can aim it. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I think it has a lot to do with looks as much as engineering. Certain putters fit people's eye more and help them aim better. If you aim better, you putt better. 

As for feeding the myth, maybe they just haven't really studied it as much as we think in terms of toe hang. Ping spent a lot of time on sound early on. SC, Ping and Callaway spend a lot of time on how the ball feels off the face.  We know sound and feel are important factors too.

Whenever I go to a golf store, I putt a bit. It doesn't seem to matter too much which putter I use as long as the shaft length is close and I can aim it. 

You can't "see" the sweet spot though, nor can you necessarily tell whether a putter is face balanced or what degree of toe hang it has just by looking at it.

Why do they intentionally produce putters that are visually very similar, but with those very different characteristics.  There has to be a reason in someone's mind.  

In David's bag....

• Administrator
1 hour ago, David in FL said:

They make a putter that looks good and then mess around to put the sweet spot near where they want to draw their alignment line or something. They don't over-think this, and the last thing they want to try to do is "educate" people that any putter is fine for them. They want to sell them on why their putter is good for them… for at least a year until their next putters come out.

They vary it because they want to design a putter to look a certain way.

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

You can't "see" the sweet spot though, nor can you necessarily tell whether a putter is face balanced or what degree of toe hang it has just by looking at it.

You can by dangling it from your finger. Pretty easy to "see" then.

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Why do they intentionally produce putters that are visually very similar, but with those very different characteristics.  There has to be a reason in someone's mind.  

Because the myth exists.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Because the myth exists.

That's what I was wondering, and kind of suspected.

In David's bag....

the putter i have now they made the heel and toe hotter then the center and dampen the center to make it more softer. if u catch it off the toe it still comes off the face of the putter like it did if it were hit off the center. toe/heel stay straight and still has the roll to get the ball to the hole on distance putts. 

other companies out there they have the same same type of technology and some  are jus inserts. you should figure out what style of putter ur like and what kind of face ur wanting. do u want a insert or solid face putter.  i have to have milled putter that is real soft feeling and has the most true roll that u can get out of a putter. 

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

Note: This thread is 2489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!