IGNORED

Easiest Way to Learn the Rules of Golf?

Golf Grouch
Note: This thread is 2492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know some beginner golfers that barely know the rules of golf.  What's the easiest way for them to learn the rules?  The official rules book is just too difficult to digest to recommend, right?

1 minute ago, Golf Grouch said:

I know some beginner golfers that barely know the rules of golf.  What's the easiest way for them to learn the rules?  The official rules book is just too difficult to digest to recommend, right?

There are a lot of other books that you can get that simplify them.  Mostly, though, I'd just give him the quick run down on water hazard, lost ball, OB, GUR, and etiquette.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The USGA has videos, quizzes, learning platform, etc. to make leaning easier. 

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/education.html

Edit: FREE! Can't beat that price.

Edited by Missouri Swede
  • Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I just searched the internet a bit for the book "The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf".  That would be a great place to start but it looks to be out of print.

1. Play the course as you find it.

2. Play the ball as it lies.

3. If you can't follow the first two rules, play fair.

Pretty simple, except for #3.  There is quite a lot of rules and explanation needed to deal with # 3 above.

Edited by No Mulligans

get the paper back Usga book. You will find the bulk of the book primarily concerned with the nuances of various competitions, equip rules, amateur status etc. these are important for competitions. The actual rules, how to legally go from tee to hole out, is quite short and could probably be printed on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper front and back

Edited by chilepepper

50 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I just searched the internet a bit for the book "The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf".  That would be a great place to start but it looks to be out of print.

Two comments:

First, you can get "The Principles...." from the USGA at

https://www.usgapublications.com/products/principles-behind-the-rules-of-golf-paperback-2016-edition?variant=25702107654

Second, although I think its a great resource, I think that to go very far beyond the little bit you quoted would just confuse a lot of people.  I felt like reading and understanding "The Principles...." required a reasonable knowledge of the rules to start with.  I think something like this:

https://www.usgapublications.com/products/a-quick-guide-to-the-rules-of-golf?variant=25702056198

might be a great thing for a beginning golfer to have with him (or her).  To me, learning the rules in a vacuum, sitting at a computer or reading on a "device",  would be difficult.  To have a very simplified reference to use on the course, as situations arise, is probably the best way to learn.  Even better is playing with knowledgeable players, who can help point out rules as the apply to specific situations.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

Two comments:

First, you can get "The Principles...." from the USGA at

https://www.usgapublications.com/products/principles-behind-the-rules-of-golf-paperback-2016-edition?variant=25702107654

Second, although I think its a great resource, I think that to go very far beyond the little bit you quoted would just confuse a lot of people.  I felt like reading and understanding "The Principles...." required a reasonable knowledge of the rules to start with.  I think something like this:

https://www.usgapublications.com/products/a-quick-guide-to-the-rules-of-golf?variant=25702056198

might be a great thing for a beginning golfer to have with him (or her).  To me, learning the rules in a vacuum, sitting at a computer or reading on a "device",  would be difficult.  To have a very simplified reference to use on the course, as situations arise, is probably the best way to learn.  Even better is playing with knowledgeable players, who can help point out rules as the apply to specific situations.

Thanks, I'm going to get that quick guide... $0.75, what a bargain, I think I'll buy 8 of them for my wife and friends

Note: This thread is 2492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!