IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge July 2017

Note: This thread is 2458 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

July 19 - Mirror work at the gym. Worked on body turn at transition with slower swings using a 6 iron and 3W.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7/19 - still at lake; centered turns with 8i with focus on steady head

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

7/19

Spent 15 mins practicing lag putts from 20 feet indoors in my hallway.  Trying new Vice Pro Soft golf balls tomorrow and trying to get a feel for them beforehand....and improve my putting which has be horrible.

Edited by socialputts

Sincerely, Art

595fdffb1cd64_logoforTST.jpg.9637d0539d0818684c1ee7c2f23bfb3a.jpg

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

July 19

Temperature 101*F today, with heat index of 106.

Went to Golf Galaxy and tested counterbalanced putters for 15 minutes.

Tried two Odyssey: Toe Up 1 w/ SuperSoft Fatso 1.0 grip containing CounterCore insert, and Tank 1 w/SS MidSlim 2.0 grip and CC insert.

Also tried Ping Kinlock CB (counterbalance) putter w/special Ping grip.

These had an interesting feel, and all seemed to have a set-up with the hands slightly in front of the clubface.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

After a very encouraging small bucket and some time on the putting green, I played nine holes at a short regulation nine near me.  I learned that I'm not yet comfortable putting when it matters with the new grip and stance and shoulders.  I will have to do drills that involve scorekeeping for a bit.

I'll post the GG round tomorrow. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

July 18:  busy day and an after work event.  Worked with the orange whip in my front yard.  Slow swings to feel the club head weight building to full speed fast swings.  

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

7/20 - still at lake for 3 more days; centered turns with 8i with focus on steady head

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

July 20 - Working on new piece from my Evolvr lesson. Positions look pretty good per Stephan. Now I am working on getting the hips to be a bit more open at impact. The drill is from P5.5 to feel like my left hip is going back. I worked on it in front of the mirror at the gym.

Scott

My Swing Thread

7/20

Practiced putting for 15 mins and will be playing 9 holes (maybe more!) at 4pm.  Need to focus on lag putting and keeping my drives in play.  Has 2 punch outs on my last 9, need to eliminate those wasted shots.

Interested to see how the VICE Pro Soft balls perform.  Using them for the first time today.

Sincerely, Art

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

July 20. Okay, I have no idea what happened yesterday.  25 putts on the ruler to the other end of the room.  21 went off the end of the ruler, 3 left, 1 right.  So either bead isn't a problem or there's a big difference at home versus even outside.  And it isn't like I'm running the A/C at home or anything.  

Either way, 20 for 20 so far this month.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

July 20

Another 100°+ day outdoors.

Practiced 3, 5 and 10-foot putts indoors for 10 minutes. Laid down an alignment stock along the line, helped me visualize the path.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

July 20:  played 9 holes in my Thursday night league.  I felt pretty good but gave to many strokes away.  I was 2 over par with 3 to play and was 4 over the last 3 holes with three 3-putts.  We clinched a spot in the playoffs with a 4th place finish.  

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

7/21

Practiced putting for 15 mins this morning.  Mostly short putts indoors, focusing on clean contact and proper speed.

Played 12 holes yesterday.  Well, I still need to focus on lag putting and keeping my drives in play.  Hit my first drive in the trees, punched it out under another tree, etc.  On #3 hit a great drive but caught the bunker.  Had a bad lie, clipped the lip coming out and landed in another bunker with another lie I couldn't advance.

Had a bunch of punch outs, bad luck and 4 3-putts on the first 9 holes, but managed to par 3 of the last 4 holes to shoot a 46.

Tried the VICE Pro Soft balls fr the first time and really likes them.  The bright yellow made them easy to see in the trees.  :cry:

Sincerely, Art

July 21 - 20 minutes pitching and chipping in the yard. Also did some full swings working on feels from my lesson.  Followed with a golf specific workout and 4 mile walk. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

7/21/17:

Played 36 holes today. Walked a soaked course today. Shot 41-42-48(ouch)-43=174... I was/am really tired after today... I will probably just putt or do posture drills tomorrow. I will post though them be the rules.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

July 21

Got a blue TaylorMade 5.0 stand bag on clearance for $99. Since I tested the SLDR irons in 2014, I have located several TM clubs at low or no cost, and decided to create a back-up bag (and, as my wife says, free up domestic wall space).
------------------------------------------------------------
Practiced chipping with 7i for 10 minutes. Have decided to go with stance adjustment with both feet angled forward. Am getting a lower take away and follow-through, helps with consistency of roll out.

Edited by WUTiger

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:47 PM, WUTiger said:

July 17

Practiced putting off the fringe for 20 minutes. I missed two 8i chip shots last week off of shaggy, spongy fringe... want other options.

4 hybrid (22*) seemed to work well. Smooth sole rides over turf better than putter, or certainly an 8i.

Basically, a putter works OK if you have a short run to the actual green. It you have a couple of feet of soggy fringe, the 4H gives ball a little bloop lift to get it running past the fluff.

I used this a couple of years back in wet summer when low-lying greens has moon-crater turf around the sides.

@WUTiger how do you control the 4 hybrid doing this?  I tried this earlier in the season and chocked down on the 4 hybrid set up just like I was putting and I found it very hard to control distance.  Tendency was to come out so hot and long.  I went back to using my putter and actually keeping my hands back for some extra loft to pop the ball up before rolling.  Overall I feel that the 4 hybrid would be the better way to go with this type of shot for the long term. So any input would be appreciated, thanks.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

42 minutes ago, djake said:

@WUTiger how do you control the 4 hybrid doing this?  I tried this earlier in the season and chocked down on the 4 hybrid set up just like I was putting and I found it very hard to control distance

DJ, a couple of things to consider:

• You are trying a finesse greenside shot with a long-shafted club. Even if you choke down, it's a long shaft - probably 5" longer than your putter. One thing you can do is stand a little more upright - like for a putt - this will smooth out your stroke and give you better control.
  • Some people find it helpful to bend the left and right elbows slightly at address to increase the pendulum motion. Caution: not everyone likes this adjustment.
  • Realize that you need a bit of green to work with on this shot. If you have small greens, or a short-sided shot where you only have 10 feet to go from fringe to cup, you may have trouble with too hot a shot.

Remember to use both hands to sweep the shot motion back and forth. Also, you need to use it a few times to get used to it. To practice a semi-odd shot like this, go out on a slow day and play three or four holes. At each green, hit about dozen 4H chips from different spots to get used to various looks for the shot.

Let us know how things work out on the 4H chip.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2458 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!