IGNORED

Groove Sharpener

Note:Β This thread is 2473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Any advice on groove sharpeners? Β I see some online for $10-15, but do they work and how difficult are they to use? Β Is there one that somebody would recommend.Β 

Not looking to do all my clubs but want to get my wedges back in shape.Β 

I would just purchase new wedges.

First, I don't trust myself not to damage the club. Second, I can't guarantee that the groove sharpening will conform to USGA rules.

Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have one. Forget the name, but I think I paid something like $7. It has two ends designed for V or Square Grooves. If used just to clean score lines, fine, but if you get too aggressive, it will tear your balls up.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,Β  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge:Β ExoticsΒ EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge:Β Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Β shaft, /Β Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge:Β Exotics EXi 6 -PWΒ  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:Β  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I would just purchase new wedges.

First, I don't trust myself not to damage the club. Second, I can't guarantee that the groove sharpening will conform to USGA rules.

Β 

MyΒ wedges cost between $450-600 new. I'm notΒ going to go purchase new wedges when I already really like my current ones that I have had for over a decade but they just need some tender love and care. That would be a ridiculous move.Β 

I used to be able to just take them to a golf shop and have somebody sharpen the grooves for me, but nobody where I live does that.Β 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, TropicalSandTrap said:

MyΒ wedges cost between $450-600 new. I'm notΒ going to go purchase new wedges when I already really like my current ones that I have had for over a decade but they just need some tender love and care. That would be a ridiculous move.

Your wedges are over a decade old?

They're long past dueΒ for replacement. Particularly if you want to make sure they're legal for use (groove sharpeners often render wedges illegal).

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Bleh..those things are useless. You're better off sending your wedgesΒ to be reconditioned or simply replacing them with ones with less wear.Β 

Depending on how much i play or practice, i usually replace my 52 and 58 once every 12-18 months.Β 

No way do they need replacing. Nice wedges are like putters, they can last forever. Just need to get the grooves sharpened every couple of years. (And mine might be closer to 20 years old than 10 years old)

Β 

26 minutes ago, TropicalSandTrap said:

MyΒ wedges cost between $450-600 new. I'm notΒ going to go purchase new wedges when I already really like my current ones that I have had for over a decade but they just need some tender love and care. That would be a ridiculous move.Β 

I used to be able to just take them to a golf shop and have somebody sharpen the grooves for me, but nobody where I live does that.Β 

What brand/model of wedges do you have that cost $450-600 new!!??

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

(edited)

Why would a groove sharpener make the clubs "illegal"? Β I know there are restrictions on the groove depth but the ones I see online say they have a restrictor so that they don't go below usga regulations.Β 

I used to just get them done professionally by a guy near my club, but I don't have anybody where I live now to do that (can't even find someone to regrip clubs) and I'm not shipping the clubs off.Β 

I also have never heard of anybody being disqualified from the local member or accused of cheating because they use older clubs but just get the grooves freshened up once a year.Β 

Edited by TropicalSandTrap

My Vokeys cost $120 each. Β If you paid more than that, you got robbed, so I'm guessing you meant that you paid that for at least 4 wedges.

I replace mineΒ about every other year. Β That's about 200Β rounds.

Β I agreeΒ with the others. Β Groove sharpeners are at best a waste, at worst they can render your clubs non-conforming.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, TropicalSandTrap said:

Why would a groove sharpener make the clubs "illegal"? Β I know there are restrictions on the groove depth but the ones I see online say they have a restrictor so that they don't go below usga regulations.

The corners of the groove have restrictions too.

I also have never heard of anybody being disqualified from the local member or accused of cheating because they use older clubs but just get the grooves freshened up once a year.Β 

Because nobody really checks. But if your clubs are illegal, they're illegal whether someone calls you out on it or not.

At your level, it's a matter of your conscience more than anything.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

The corners of the groove have restrictions too.

Because nobody really checks. But if your clubs are illegal, they're illegal whether someone calls you out on it or not.

At your level, it's a matter of your conscience more than anything.

They used to check at theΒ USGAΒ qualifiers and the State OpenΒ going back a couple of years ago. Now nobody checks. I could show up with a set of ping eye 2's for a US Open quail and nobody would notice.Β 

Yeah, my conscience is clear. Right now my grooves are worn. If I get I groove sharpener I'm not going to go plowing them down to gain an advantage, im just going to try to freshen them up as they should be. In all likelihood they won't even come close to reaching the max level for depth sand width as I can barely sharpen a knife enough to cut a tomato.Β 

It seems like regrooving your clubs is something a golfer should be permitted to do with a clear conscious. Β I have watched a few youtube tutorials on it, doesn't seem too complex. Β Shouldn't have to invest in new wedges every other year or send the clubs to a professional (which I would do if one were nearby) to keep a clear conscious Β 

If I had a local guy who could do it like I used I would use that person, but I don't.Β 

Also, I have a few extra wedges hanging around that I would probably practice with first.Β 

Β 

How much golf have you played in the last decade that you have the same wedges?Β Vokeys are forged and therefore wear. I get a new set of wedges every other year and I play close to 200 rounds a year. Groove tools work for about 3 rounds tops. Wedges are not like putters. I don't hit into the ground aggressively with my putter like I do a wedge approach shot.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check outΒ Evolvr

:callaway:Β Rogue ST 10.5* |Β :callaway:Β Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade:Β P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist:Β 716Β AP2Β | Β :edel:Β Wedges 50/54/68 |Β :edel:Β Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67Β (18 holes),Β 32Β (9 holes)

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, TropicalSandTrap said:

Yeah, my conscience is clear. Right now my grooves are worn. If I get I groove sharpener I'm not going to go plowing them down to gain an advantage, im just going to try to freshen them up as they should be. In all likelihood they won't even come close to reaching the max level for depth sand width as I can barely sharpen a knife enough to cut a tomato.

As I said it's not just about depth, but the corners matter, too.

25 minutes ago, TropicalSandTrap said:

It seems like regrooving your clubs is something a golfer should be permitted to do with a clear conscious.

Why? It could make the club illegal.

I have not played much in the past five years but I have played hundreds of rounds with these wedges. I also frequently use them in the practice area.Β 

If you guys like to buy new wedges, fine. I have enjoyed the results from just using the wedges I have for a long period of time and having them freshened up. I disagree that I need to invest in new wedges every other year.Β 

And yes I have more than one wedge, that's why they add up in price. For vokeys I have a 48, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60 and 64 (with multiple 52 and 56 degrees). I have never seen the reason to have to go it and buy new ones because the grooves are worn, I am plenty comfortable with just having the grooves freshened up. I only have the 52, 56 and 60 in my bag now Β it the grooves are worn Β 

And like I said above I have always just had a professional club dude do it for me but don't have one available now, so I am asking for advice on groove sharpeners. I do know people who have been fine with doing it themselves so the response of "they are all bad, go buyΒ new clubs" is bogus.Β 

I understand some people like to buy new ones every other year. To each their own.Β 

I have not played much in the past five years but I have played hundreds of rounds with these wedges. I also frequently use them in the practice area.Β 

If you guys like to buy new wedges, fine. I have enjoyed the results from just using the wedges I have for a long period of time and having them freshened up. I disagree that I need to invest in new wedges every other year.Β 

And yes I have more than one wedge, that's why they add up in price. For vokeys I have a 48, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60 and 64 (with multiple 52 and 56 degrees). I have never seen the reason to have to go it and buy new ones because the grooves are worn, I am plenty comfortable with just having the grooves freshened up. I only have the 52, 56 and 60 in my bag now Β it the grooves are worn Β 

And like I said above I have always just had a professional club dude do it for me but don't have one available now, so I am asking for advice on groove sharpeners. I do know people who have been fine with doing it themselves so the response of "they are all bad, go buyΒ new clubs" is bogus.Β 

I understand some people like to buy new ones every other year. To each their own.Β 

If you ask for advice, you just might get advice you don't like. Β Just because you don't like the advice, doesn't make it "bogus" though.

You're certainly free to either take the advice, or not. Β Remember though, you asked...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note:Β This thread is 2473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!