IGNORED

LPGA To Enforce more Strict Dress Code

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Also I don't think the majority of the viewers are watching or not watching the LPGA based on what the players are wearing. If I want to look at girls not wearing a lot of clothes (or less) that's pretty easy to do.

The Internet, surprisingly, has fewer commercials than golf telecasts… And very little Tom Abbott. :-)

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, iacas said:
11 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Part of the impetus involves older country club wives not wanting younger women to "distract" their husbands.

Says who? Where did you unearth this nugget about the LPGA Tour dress code? Or is it just pure speculation?

It's a literary device known as an analogy. I was comparing the situation with young women who work at country clubs with those who play on the LPGA tour. The rest of the paragraph (not included in your quote of me) tells the story.

Cutting to the chase, I was addressing a larger golfdom social issue, which encompasses the LPGA dress code debate (see below).

11 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Therefore, women in golfdom appear to pay a price for too much attractiveness, whether they tend bar or play on the pro tour.

Another comment you made brings up an interesting point.

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Supposedly the rule may be targeted more at the Symetra Tour and the things they're wearing, as well as at players wearing inappropriate (ripped jeans, etc.) clothing to sponsor parties.

Regarding the Symetra Tour, I caddied in the Decatur-Forsyth Classic in June. Talking among themselves, the women golfers compared notes on appropriate attire. Evidently some of them got attire warnings related to a meet-and-greet event I missed. 

Generation gap aside, an aggravating factor could be the tight money on Symetra. If you're two years out of college, short on $$ and still have clubbing attire from your campus days, this might pop up on course or at the receptions. The ladies who struggle just to make the cut each week may forego wardrobe enhancement if they're struggling to make next week's tournament entry fee.

Also, a handful of the women carried their own bag during play in 100-degree heat. More abbreviated (and also sexy) clothing would enhance cooling in high heat. 

It would be interesting to survey Symetra and LPGA players, and see what they say. 

Edited by WUTiger
Delete secondary discussion comments.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

It's a literary device known as an analogy. I was comparing the situation with young women who work at country clubs with those who play on the LPGA tour. The rest of the paragraph (not included in your quote of me) tells the story.

John, with all due respect, no, that's not at all what you did or said.

The topic is the LPGA's dress code, and you effectively said that "Part of the impetus" for the new LPGA dress code "involves older country club wives not wanting younger women to "distract" their husbands."

15 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Regarding the Symetra Tour, I caddied in the Decatur-Forsyth Classic in June. Talking among themselves, the women golfers compared notes on appropriate attire. Evidently some of them got attire warnings related to a meet-and-greet event I missed.

Sponsor parties, right.

20 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Generation gap aside, an aggravating factor could be the tight money on Symetra. If you're two years out of college, short on $$ and still have clubbing attire from your campus days, this might pop up on course or at the receptions. The ladies who struggle just to make the cut each week may forego wardrobe enhancement if they're struggling to make next week's tournament entry fee.

John, virtually every college student I know has a few suitable outfits for a sponsor party. A college student has more than "clubbing attire."

25 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Also, a handful of the women carried their own bag during play in 100-degree heat. More abbreviated (and also sexy) clothing would enhance cooling in high heat.

I don't think an extra two inches on a skirt to cover a gal's "bottom area" or a bit more to cover up some extreme cleavage is going to make a player warmer.

<sarcasm>Hey, let's just let 'em play in thongs… eh? But only the attractive ones, right? :-P</sarcasm>

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Bikini Golf.  :-D

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 1-9-2017 at 7:52 AM, mvmac said:

Gotta disagree.

Sponsors don't want to "risk" being associated with anything that is potentially controversial. They want to protect their brand.

Also I don't think the majority of the viewers are watching or not watching the LPGA based on what the players are wearing. If I want to look at girls not wearing a lot of clothes (or less) that's pretty easy to do.

Got to disagree too :-)

I still see cheerleaders on baseball, american football, baketball and Formula 1 racing. All those sponsors take that risk. Did you see Sharapova's black outfit at the US open? 

I like to watch lpga golf, and I don't need them wearing deep cleavages or let their butts hang out to keep watching. But for the rest, let them wear what they want.

Edited by MacDutch
Sharapova

• Administrator
4 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Got to disagree too :-)

You can disagree all you want. The fact is that sponsors asked for this, it seems.

Sharapova's outfit wasn't that bad. And tennis involves, you know, running.

Cheerleaders are not why you're watching the game. They're not playing.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Sharapova's outfit wasn't that bad. And tennis involves, you know, running.

Sharapova's outfit was stunning. I am not sure, but I think that such an outfit is not okay within the new lpga dresscode? If it's not I am against that new code.

Yes, tennis involves running, what is your point?

• Administrator
3 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Yes, tennis involves running, what is your point?

Golf doesn't. Thus the dress code can be different.

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

Golf doesn't. Thus the dress code can be different.

Sharapova's black outfit at the us open is stunning and sexy. To me it would be also proper attire for golf. Might be a nice poll here.

2 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Sharapova's black outfit at the us open is stunning and sexy. To me it would be also proper attire for golf. Might be a nice poll here.

Well, Sharapova is stunning. I can think of many women on the LPGA that may not wear it quite as well....

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
20 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Again, if the sponsors are asking for it, a poll among people - many of whom haven't watched half an hour of LPGA Tour golf this year - wouldn't mean squat.

We also, as has been said a few times now, have no idea what the women the Symetra Tour were wearing. Or what the sponsors found inappropriate about the attire worn to some "sponsor parties."

On 9/2/2017 at 0:06 AM, MacDutch said:

All those sponsors take that risk.

All risk isn't the same and sponsors can choose who/what they want to be associated with.

On 9/2/2017 at 0:06 AM, MacDutch said:

I like to watch lpga golf, and I don't need them wearing deep cleavages or let their butts hang out to keep watching.

That's what I'm saying what, the majority of golf viewers aren't watching the LPGA for their outfits, just like the majority of football fans aren't watching the game to look at the cheerleaders. 

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Some other things consider…

At the Symetra Tour event where I caddied, the sponsors’ party that supposedly generated the attire warnings happened the day before I arrived. So, I didn’t see anything first-hand.

As far as on-course attire during the Symetra rounds, I don’t recall any outfits that were overly suggestive, or whatever we want to call it.

As far as Symetra Tour culture goes, I’m not sure how much socialization training goes on at the start of the season. Each tournament starts about 140 players.  A Symetra priority list puts eligible players into different categories. Priority A through D list takes in 117 players, and Priority E takes in Nos. 118-179; If you go all the way to Priority M, there’s more than 500 players who could get into a tournament in a given year.

At the Decatur-Forsyth Classic, there was no tour equipment van on site, and many of the players said they did not have a specific sponsor for golf clubs – most bags had a mix of different manufacturer’s equipment.  Whereas the Symetra staff operated out of two small house trailers, the operations zone for PGA staffers mirrors a corporate headquarters. So, I suspect the Symetra events are much more a come-as-you-are party than the major PGA and LPGA tour events. 

Two questions emerge, and I don’t know the answer to either:

• Do mostly newbies and occasional drop-ins get the attire warnings?
  • How much does the Symetra Tour do to foster a specific culture among its players? Given that it's a low-budget operation, Symetra is understandably less formal than the PGA or LPGA.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On 9/1/2017 at 9:56 AM, jsgolfer said:

Bikini Golf.  :-D

O:)I'm guilty of clicking (and googling), but honestly hopes this doesn't take off.  Couldn't help but notice what course they played.

Note: This thread is 2421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!