IGNORED

My Swing (adi2008)

adi2008
Note: This thread is 2191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

so this is my first year back in 15 years.  I have a high handicap and i have taken a couple lessons.  My be struggle is my driver.  I always seem to hit it out of bounce with a high push slice.  I thought i had that fixed for a while and it still creeps up during leauge.  I will occasionally get a hook and snap hook.  My instructor told my to start swinging from the inside and that seemed to help, but when i think i have figured it out after a few good drives it comes back.  Here is a couple videos i took in the back yard and these shots actually went pretty straight.  Please help me with this as i have a tournament this week.  thank you 

On 7/17/2017 at 3:44 PM, adi2008 said:

any help?

We need better videos to be able to see your swing. The face on should be directly perpendicular to the ball. The down-the-line should be aimed along your toe line so we can see the club head and shaft positions at different points in the swing. Please retake the videos.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 9 months later...

Hey guys, I am a high handicapper just got back to golf this year after 15 years off. I am getting better as the season went on. My problem is with my driver only.  I either pull or hook it bad left.  I cannot figure out why.  I will occasionally hit the toe of the club also. But what confuses me isn't a pull and a hook caused by 2 different things? I feel as if my body has to lift up as club comes through

I suggest starting a swing thread here, and use video of you actually hitting a ball. Most people make different motions doing dry swings vs. actually swinging to hit a ball.

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

and pulls and hooks are somewhat similar

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

On a straight pull, your club face is square to your path ( for a pull, the path is out to in)

On a hook, your club face is severely closed to that out to in path

Generally speaking, the ball starts where the club face is pointing, and curves away from the path. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 minute ago, klineka said:

I suggest starting a swing thread here, and use video of you actually hitting a ball. Most people make different motions doing dry swings vs. actually swinging to hit a ball.

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

and pulls and hooks are somewhat similar

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

On a straight pull, your club face is square to your path ( for a pull, the path is out to in)

Generally speaking, the ball starts where the club face is pointing, and curves away from the path. 

Thank you, it feels like my hands might be getting stuck, how does my backswing look? What are some of causes for pulls and hooks with driver? Is clubpath too much from inside or outside in?20180425_093912_1.gif.5bdc24ad14f241166476a31049d8a277.gif

@adi2008 this topic has been merged with your swing thread.

I suggest you update this with videos of you actually hitting a golf ball from good angles, then people will be able to help you better.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I will do that, can you tell anything from my dtl backswing, is it too flat?

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

@adi2008 this topic has been merged with your swing thread.

I suggest you update this with videos of you actually hitting a golf ball from good angles, then people will be able to help you better.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Thank you, does my backswing look bad or too flat

3 minutes ago, adi2008 said:

I will do that, can you tell anything from my dtl backswing, is it too flat?

From your GIF? The one where you're not hitting a ball? I can't tell anything about your real swing from a practice swing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, adi2008 said:

What are some of causes for pulls and hooks with driver? Is clubpath too much from inside or outside in?

Not trying to be a jerk, but did you read what I wrote earlier to you? I answered your questions already.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

To produce a hook all you need is a clubface that is "excessively closed" to a path (given solid strike).  The path can be any path.  It can be to the right, square, to the left- all that matters is that the face is closed to the path it is swung on.

Edited by ncates00

31 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

To produce a hook all you need is a clubface that is "excessively closed" to a path (given solid strike).  The path can be any path.  It can be to the right, square, to the left- all that matters is that the face is closed to the path it is swung on.

Yup. I guess I should have been more specific. For a pull hook/draw, your club face is severely closed to that out to in path.

Although I will say that the line the ball starts on greatly influences the shot shape most people use to classify it. A ball that starts out to the right and moves back to the left, not that many people would consider it a hook, they'd call it a draw, just like people are more likely to call something that starts left and moves even more left a "hook" when its actually a pull draw, even though both of those are caused by the clubface being closed to the path.

7 minutes ago, klineka said:

A ball that starts out to the right and moves back to the left, not that many people would consider it a hook, they'd call it a draw

Depends on the amount of curve.  It's subjective, but I'd call a draw that curves more than 20 yards a hook (or fades more than 20 yards a slice).  

Although I will say that the line the ball starts on greatly influences the shot shape most people use to classify it.

You had it right at the start of your reply.  Start line just refers to the push/pull description as you'd see on a gc2 for example.  That by itself doesn't classify it as a hook or a slice.  Say you started the ball -1* left but only curved the ball 5 yards- that's not a hook.  That's a pull draw. 

8 minutes ago, klineka said:

Yup. I guess I should have been more specific. For a pull hook/draw, your club face is severely closed to that out to in path.

Although I will say that the line the ball starts on greatly influences the shot shape most people use to classify it. A ball that starts out to the right and moves back to the left, not that many people would consider it a hook, they'd call it a draw, just like people are more likely to call something that starts left and moves even more left a "hook" when its actually a pull draw, even though both of those are caused by the clubface being closed to the path.

It probably feels like splitting hairs, but it's not.  You don't want to call a hook based on out to in path, when it doesn't have to be.  It's just a closed face to a path in excess.  You go down the wrong way of thinking and people can exacerbate a problem by swinging MORE in to out, when that could be the problem the whole time.

Edited by ncates00

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

Depends on the amount of curve.  It's subjective, but I'd call a draw that curves more than 20 yards a hook (or fades more than 20 yards a slice).  

You had it right at the start of your reply.  Start line just refers to the push/pull description as you'd see on a gc2 for example.  That by itself doesn't classify it as a hook or a slice.  Say you started the ball -1* left but only curved the ball 5 yards- that's not a hook.  That's a pull draw. 

It probably feels like splitting hairs, but it's not.  You don't want to call a hook based on out to in path, when it doesn't have to be.  It's just a closed face to a path in excess.  You go down the wrong way of thinking and people can exacerbate a problem by swinging MORE in to out, when that could be the problem the whole time.

So if all my misses with driver is either pull or hook, would I be better off trying to swing more left to see if I can get the ball back to the right?

18 minutes ago, adi2008 said:

So if all my misses with driver is either pull or hook, would I be better off trying to swing more left to see if I can get the ball back to the right?

It depends on your delivery and what you want.  Do you want to hit a fade or a draw?  If you want to hit a draw, then you should get your path a little out to the right of target and your face just inside your path (but still open to the target).  If you want a fade, you probably just need to get the face open to the path a little bit since you're pulling it a little already.  You don't want to be steep though.  Your angle of attack with driver should be no more than -1* down, but if distance is the priority then you can shoot for upwards of 3-5* up to get those low spin/higher launch boomers.  But you don't want your paths and faces to be excessive resulting in major sling balls.  

42 minutes ago, adi2008 said:

as I started playing most my drives were draws or hooks, I opened the face a little more and worked on making sure my shoulders were parallel with my feet and started hitting them a lot straighter. for me my alignment and club face at address were the culprit of that

Note: This thread is 2191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!