IGNORED

What do you consider the most stupid rule in golf?

rstyle
Note: This thread is 3562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes divots should be GUR. I believe a player gets relief from bare ground that a burrowing animal causes and I have seen plenty of animals on the golf course burrowing a metal object on a long stick into the fairways on my course, yes it was caused by a burrowing animal.

Having to play fr a divot doesn't really bother me. Rub of the green. Not being able to tamp down a spike mark is just silly though!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me it's having to remove the flagstick when putting - well, the penalty for not doing so it the stupid part...

No penalty at all for putting with the flagstick in... ....you just can't hit it.:-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
None

You can't use the line defining out of bounds as a reference point as the line itself is out of bounds.

Talk about a distinction without a difference!  The line itself is out of bounds?!?!  Yea, well 1 mm inside the line is in bounds.  And how often are the OB stakes about 10 feet outside the cart path.  With all the courses going up in sub-divisions, there are OB stakes everywhere.  So it doesn't take that bad a shot to go OB.  You shouldn't be allowed to play the ball if it went OB, but it should be a drop and one stroke penalty.

The rule I think is stupid is pulling out the flag after a holed chip and the ball comes with it.  You're not longer in the hole and have to tap it back in.

Also, there should be a two stoke penalty for iron covers, a ball retreiver should count as a club, and every practice swing after one should count as a stroke..

Occam's razor

ITT: High cappers who want the game made easier for them. The rules are the same for everyone, good and bad bounces for all.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiginKSA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
None

You can't use the line defining out of bounds as a reference point as the line itself is out of bounds.

Talk about a distinction without a difference!  The line itself is out of bounds?!?!  Yea, well 1 mm inside the line is in bounds.  And how often are the OB stakes about 10 feet outside the cart path.  With all the courses going up in sub-divisions, there are OB stakes everywhere.  So it doesn't take that bad a shot to go OB.  You shouldn't be allowed to play the ball if it went OB, but it should be a drop and one stroke penalty.

The rule I think is stupid is pulling out the flag after a holed chip and the ball comes with it.  You're not longer in the hole and have to tap it back in.

Also, there should be a two stoke penalty for iron covers, a ball retreiver should count as a club, and every practice swing after one should count as a stroke..

I've never heard that "rule" (bolded).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

So, does anyone know why spike marks are not fixable but ball marks are, or what the rational is for this rule? Never did understand that one. Also, are shoe scrapes or other foot-induced marks fixable?

dak4n6

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I've never heard that "rule" (bolded).

Because it isn't one...

But if it was, it would be the dumbest one.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I may be repeating something already on here, but I think that the dumbest rule (mainly at the PGA tour level) is the 'signing an incorrect scorecard' rule.  This usually comes into play where some "Annoying Samaritan" sitting on his couch at home calls in to say that he saw a ball move in super slo-mo that nobody could see with their naked eye at the time.  If the information gets in before the player finishes he gets to change his score and play on.  But if that information comes in later that evening, he gets DQ'd?  Lame.

IIRC that rule was changed such that now, if a viewer calls in something that the competitor could not have been aware of, he would not be DQd for an incorrect card - he would only be penalized the appropriate strokes. I could be wrong, maybe someone can correct me if so...

Originally Posted by dak4n6

So, does anyone know why spike marks are not fixable but ball marks are, or what the rational is for this rule? Never did understand that one. Also, are shoe scrapes or other foot-induced marks fixable?

I believe the rationale is that ball marks are easily identifiable as such, whereas spike marks are not. Not sure I agree with that rationale though.

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I may be repeating something already on here, but I think that the dumbest rule (mainly at the PGA tour level) is the 'signing an incorrect scorecard' rule.  This usually comes into play where some "Annoying Samaritan" sitting on his couch at home calls in to say that he saw a ball move in super slo-mo that nobody could see with their naked eye at the time.  If the information gets in before the player finishes he gets to change his score and play on.  But if that information comes in later that evening, he gets DQ'd?  Lame.

IIRC that rule was changed such that now, if a viewer calls in something that the competitor could not have been aware of, he would not be DQd for an incorrect card - he would only be penalized the appropriate strokes. I could be wrong, maybe someone can correct me if so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak4n6

I believe the rationale is that ball marks are easily identifiable as such, whereas spike marks are not. Not sure I agree with that rationale though.

I thought the rationale was that tapping down anything that's seen as a spike mark quickly becomes tap down every blade of grass between my ball and the hole.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Because it isn't one...

But if it was, it would be the dumbest one.

Oh but it IS a rule!

17-4 . Ball Resting Against Flagstick

When a player’s ball rests against the flagstick in the hole and the ball is not holed , the player or another person authorized by him may move or remove the flagstick , and if the ball falls into the hole , the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke ; otherwise, the ball, if moved , must be placed on the lip of the hole , without penalty.

Originally Posted by reedf

Oh but it IS a rule!

17-4. Ball Resting Against Flagstick

When a player’s ball rests against the flagstick in the hole and the ball is not holed, the player or another person authorized by him may move or remove the flagstick, and if the ball falls into the hole, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke; otherwise, the ball, ifmoved, must be placed on the lip of the hole, without penalty.

I think you may be misinterpreting this one.  If I am not mistaken, once a ball touches the bottom of the hole, that is when it's considered "holed."  I believe that rule is referring to when it's basically in the hole but because of a leaning flagstick, it is "trapped" against the side of the hole but its not at the bottom.  That's why, when you see pro's hole out with the stick in, they sort of jiggle the flagstick around to make sure its at the bottom, then they retreive it.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by celticstanger

Sorry - divot = clod of dirt and grass.  My use refers to the hole left behind by the removal of said divot.

If I ever play golf where someone in the group in front of me erects a tree, and that tree saves an errant shot, I'll be sure to ask for a ruling - though I'm not sure about the likelihood of that happening.

A clod of dirt and grass, if unattached, is a loose impediment. If it's attached, well, that's not really a divot either. So you've failed to define "divot" in such a way that you could make a good rule.

And you missed the point of taking good breaks and bad breaks in stride. Sometimes your ball sits up in the rough. Sometimes a spike mark deflects your putt into the hole. Sometimes your ball bounces off a guy's putter or foot and goes into the hole on a par four for a hole in one.

Originally Posted by CraiginKSA

Originally Posted by reedf

Oh but it IS a rule!

Look up the definition of " holed ."

If the ball is not beneath the top of the hole, you just straighten out the flagstick to let it fall in. If you take the flagstick out and the ball was never at rest beneath the top of the hole, then you were stupid and you have to tap it in, yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by reedf

Oh but it IS a rule!

17-4. Ball Resting Against Flagstick

When a player’s ball rests against the flagstick in the hole and the ball is not holed, the player or another person authorized by him may move or remove the flagstick, and if the ball falls into the hole, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke; otherwise, the ball, ifmoved, must be placed on the lip of the hole, without penalty.

You need to read the definition of "holed".  The ball can be resting against the flagstick and still be holed as long as all of the ball is in the hole and below the level of the green.  It does not have to be all the way to the bottom of the hole.  Once the ball is holed , the play of the hole is finished, and any subsequent movement is irrelevant.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Well, the one that bugs me the most frequently is an unwritten rule that golfers from Illinois seem to think applies to them that they need not bother repairing ball marks on greens.  I think the rationale behind this is closely related to why Illinois golfers will hit into my group even though they can see that the reason we're sitting on the fairway waiting is because the group ahead is still on the green; that example is, of course, a corollary of why drivers with Illinois plates will be 4' behind my bumper on the highway when they can see that the lane is moving slowly for at least 20 cars ahead of me.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Almost every rule in golf is dumb. Really. It's the only sport I watch (or play) where I'm constantly saying, "WTF?" Hit the ball where it falls, take as many practice shots as needed, if something non environmental affects your shot then drop; and lastly, if you lose your ball, courses need a drop zone (like for water) where you always drop no matter the shot number, and then take an x number of penalty strokes from that spot (to be deemed by the dumbass people who write the rules of golf typically). Rules are relative because everyone adheres to them. Competition and scores are not.

Originally Posted by GatorCallaway

14 clubs in the bag. Damn I wish I could carry a 64* or a 5w.

Are people kidding me?  Why do you need so many clubs in the darn bag?  I rarely have rounds were I use every club in my bag.  What will you use a 5w for.  That one par 5 were you are 225 out and you would be better off laying up anyway?  And when do you need a 64*?  Just open up one of your wedges.  Instead of adding clubs to the bag add different kinds of shots to your clubs.  I use to play with 5 clubs when I started and was still able to shoot sub 50's.  People really get into that 3-pw,  4-pw mentality.  But I bet if you thought about it there is an iron in that series that you could take out and not be hurt for it.  For me its my 4 or 6 iron.  14 clubs is enough.

Originally Posted by tuffluck

Almost every rule in golf is dumb. Really. It's the only sport I watch (or play) where I'm constantly saying, "WTF?"

Hit the ball where it falls, take as many practice shots as needed, if something non environmental affects your shot then drop; and lastly, if you lose your ball, courses need a drop zone (like for water) where you always drop no matter the shot number, and then take an x number of penalty strokes from that spot (to be deemed by the dumbass people who write the rules of golf typically).

Rules are relative because everyone adheres to them. Competition and scores are not.

Why is hitting it where it falls dumb?  Do you want to be able to kick it forward another 20 yards?  Or maybe prop it back up on a tee?  SO you think that you should be penalized for some freak thing happening to your ball?  And I don't get your drop zone analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCallaway View Post

14 clubs in the bag. Damn I wish I could carry a 64* or a 5w.

Are people kidding me?  Why do you need so many clubs in the darn bag?  I rarely have rounds were I use every club in my bag.  What will you use a 5w for.  That one par 5 were you are 225 out and you would be better off laying up anyway?  And when do you need a 64*?  Just open up one of your wedges.  Instead of adding clubs to the bag add different kinds of shots to your clubs.  I use to play with 5 clubs when I started and was still able to shoot sub 50's.  People really get into that 3-pw,  4-pw mentality.  But I bet if you thought about it there is an iron in that series that you could take out and not be hurt for it.  For me its my 4 or 6 iron.  14 clubs is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Almost every rule in golf is dumb. Really. It's the only sport I watch (or play) where I'm constantly saying, "WTF?"
Hit the ball where it falls, take as many practice shots as needed, if something non environmental affects your shot then drop; and lastly, if you lose your ball, courses need a drop zone (like for water) where you always drop no matter the shot number, and then take an x number of penalty strokes from that spot (to be deemed by the dumbass people who write the rules of golf typically).
Rules are relative because everyone adheres to them. Competition and scores are not.

Why is hitting it where it falls dumb?  Do you want to be able to kick it forward another 20 yards?  Or maybe prop it back up on a tee?  SO you think that you should be penalized for some freak thing happening to your ball?  And I don't get your drop zone analysis.

Nope. Those were my revised rules, in case you couldn't tell by the made up ones...

Note: This thread is 3562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!