15 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've tried G400 irons, really like them but $1250 for a set is... significant.  I understand retailers have to follow MAP requirements but that is an advertised price, not necessarily a selling price.  Has anyone ever heard of a retailer selling under MAP?  I am **NOT** ask what retailer or asking for names, don't want to know... rather, whether it happens or not.

Thanks,

55 minutes ago, altos said:

I've tried G400 irons, really like them but $1250 for a set is... significant.  I understand retailers have to follow MAP requirements but that is an advertised price, not necessarily a selling price.  Has anyone ever heard of a retailer selling under MAP?  I am **NOT** ask what retailer or asking for names, don't want to know... rather, whether it happens or not.

Thanks,

@altos, is that for 8 clubs? If so that is a lot. 

The answer is "occasionally". Sometimes retailers will sell PING irons for less than MSRP... But there is a catch to this. You cannot advertise that you are doing it. Most of the time, the manufacturer authorizes a retailer to offer a slight discount. So you may find a "deal" where you can purchase the G400's for say $1199 or something. Online retailers circumvent MAP by using the "Add To Cart For Price" function. 

So the short answer is yes, but there's a lot more to it, than a simple yes or no.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know but my experiences say no.  I have tried at times offering  I'll pay cash if you'll split the credit card fee with me, and that has never worked.  Also I don't know of anyone creditable who has managed to negotiate a lower price from a retail store.  Ebay, but then you might get counterfeits.

PING is a stickler for MAP and stuff.

But where are you paying $1299? Is that Canadian dollars (even though you're in California)? 4-UW is $899 in steel from TGW.

Yeah, $1299??  I haven't seen anything close to that.

4 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Sometimes retailers will sell PING irons for less than MSRP... But there is a catch to this. ...

Ping has a reputation for being the strictest of the big-name manufacturers for closely controlling discounts on their clubs.

Back about 2006, I ran across a small shop owner who had quit carrying Ping because of penalties for giving unauthorized discounts.

But that was a decade ago. I'm not sure how strict the other manufacturers are compared to Ping.

11 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Ping has a reputation for being the strictest of the big-name manufacturers for closely controlling discounts on their clubs.

Back about 2006, I ran across a small shop owner who had quit carrying Ping because of penalties for giving unauthorized discounts.

But that was a decade ago. I'm not sure how strict the other manufacturers are compared to Ping.

Like I stated above, you may be able to acquire "new" clubs from PING at a discount. Most of the time, the current line will be sold at MSRP. However, occasionally you will find an online retailer that is selling a current line for less. Most of the time, PING authorizes these discounts, and when they do happen, it's either at the end of a product cycle, or is a previous year's model. 

PING is strict though, you can't even use your Dick's $25 off $100 to purchase PING products. 

On 11/21/2017 at 2:40 PM, altos said:

I've tried G400 irons, really like them but $1250 for a set is... significant.  

I have G400 irons and paid under $700 for six of them (5-P).  I am debating going to go back in a few days and get the UW as well, and I don't expect that to cost much more than $125. 

Where are you that MAP is this much?  I bought mine at Roger Dunn and you can bet they follow Ping's rules to the letter.

On 11/22/2017 at 10:48 AM, onthehunt526 said:

Like I stated above, you may be able to acquire "new" clubs from PING at a discount. Most of the time, the current line will be sold at MSRP. However, occasionally you will find an online retailer that is selling a current line for less. Most of the time, PING authorizes these discounts, and when they do happen, it's either at the end of a product cycle, or is a previous year's model. 

PING is strict though, you can't even use your Dick's $25 off $100 to purchase PING products. 

You are correct...A couple years ago I was able to order a brand new set of G2 irons for my son from Ping.  They built them to his specs too after the fitting.  I'm not sure how many years back they will go. 

16 hours ago, altos said:

4-pw, $875, graphite

uw, sw, lw, $125 each, although there are now folks selling them for $112.50

Okay, that's dead nuts, $1250. That makes sense now. 

Just a suggestion, since PING uses serial numbers, you could just get 4-iron-UW for $1000 whatever you see fit and get the wedges later. Or get speciality wedges instead..

The $112.50 for an individual iron is probably for steel shafts. 

18 hours ago, altos said:

4-pw, $875, graphite

uw, sw, lw, $125 each, although there are now folks selling them for $112.50

I don't think most people count the UW, SW, LW in the set of irons. Hence the reaction to the $1250 price tag.

4-LW, though, is ten "irons" though, so $1250 is not bad.

4 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Just a suggestion, since PING uses serial numbers, you could just get 4-iron-UW for $1000 whatever you see fit and get the wedges later. Or get speciality wedges instead..

Vaguely off topic, but is this the case?  I bought 5-[P]W, and if I want the UW, I can get it to match serial wise?

32 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Vaguely off topic, but is this the case?  I bought 5-[P]W, and if I want the UW, I can get it to match serial wise?

Yes.  I did this for my s55 set of irons when I added 3 iron.  Just tell them the serial number and they'll add it on the club.

2 hours ago, phillyk said:

Yes.  I did this for my s55 set of irons when I added 3 iron.  Just tell them the serial number and they'll add it on the club.

Sweet, thanks!