IGNORED

"Tiger Woods" by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian (March 2018)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1458 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Ha!

Doesn't seem like you read the really long post in the other topic. Please feel free. You'll find there's not a shred of actual evidence.

Dont have time to read every post on every thread.  But not a shred of actual evidence of what? I just said there has to be a reason for Tiger's miracle recovery. I know some think he walks on water but actually human bodies are all similar.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

Don't have time to read every post on every thread.

It's one post, and it's on a topic about which you are interested enough to comment.

But not a shred of actual evidence of what? I just said there has to be a reason for Tiger's miracle recovery.

What are you hinting at? What do you think is "the reason"?

I know some think he walks on water but actually human bodies are all similar.

With a very wide definition of "similar."

And… his recovery wasn't that "miraculous." It was about a year ago. After six months the bone is pretty much fused.

And where in the book is this part of the recovery discussed? This is, after all, the topic to discuss what's covered in the book.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He's recovered because it was an operation. Operations give immediate changes, but of course need a time to fully recover to where he can play golf again, which he did. The operation he had is common and was expected to fix his back.

What was miraculous about his recovery? Or rather, what evidence supports a theory where he shouldn't be able to recover in that timeframe? He had the surgery in April and didn't play events until Hero in December.

It isn’t a surprise that Tiger and his doctor decided to go with an ALIF procedure. A patient with back spasms and sciatic pain in his or her legs can benefit greatly from a fusion surgery, especially if all other treatments have been exhausted. Minimally invasive ALIF procedures provide great results with minimal scarring because the spine is approached through the front of the body, leaving the back muscles and nerves untouched. The recovery time is also shorter due to smaller incisions and less interference with surrounding muscles and tissue.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Calls Wally Goodwin "Wally Goodman" and proceeded to make the error numerous. I like how Tiger's "letter" that they got their hands on that is supposedly addressed to Coach Goodman.

Pretty egregious error.

• Administrator
22 hours ago, Fidelio said:

Calls Wally Goodwin "Wally Goodman" and proceeded to make the error numerous. I like how Tiger's "letter" that they got their hands on that is supposedly addressed to Coach Goodman.

Pretty egregious error.

There are a lot of them. Tom Watson being the Ryder Cup captain in 2016 being among them.

A lot of them are pretty basic things, too. Things that they should have easily caught.

Makes the rest of what they have to say suspect, too.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

So, I finished the book.

It's disappointing. It contains nothing new, and it gets some of the basic facts wrong, which really casts doubt on the actual quality of their other reporting.

Plus then you have the Clinton aide disputing one of the more negative stories in the book… and… well… I don't really think this book is worth a purchase or a read if you've kept up with Tiger Woods throughout the years.

• 1 month later...

No way Tiger could be 100 per cent without the use of drugs but being who he is and what he brings to the PGA it will never be investigated.

Another concern to me is it seems he gets the best tee times and the top playing partners. I know it’s for TV rating.😕

Edited by Gerald ladig
Miss word

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Gerald ladig said:

No way Tiger could be 100 per cent without the use of drugs

🤣 Sounds an awfully lot like an opinion you've got there, @Gerald ladig.

but being who he is and what he brings to the PGA it will never be investigated.

It was investigated by the guys who wrote this book, and they found almost nothing.

Another concern to me is it seems he gets the best tee times and the top playing partners. I know it’s for TV rating.😕

1. PGA Tour players are all grouped into categories. Rookies and lower ranked players get early morning and late afternoon tee times.
  2. Of course they try to maximize tee times and the audience. What kind of business would they be running if they stuck Tiger, Phil, Rory, Jordan, etc. in non-TV times. Does the NFL regularly pit two 2-8 teams on Monday Night Football? Of course not - not if they can help it.

6 hours ago, Gerald ladig said:

No way Tiger could be 100 per cent without the use of drugs but being who he is and what he brings to the PGA it will never be investigated.

I, too, am certain he has taken drugs to help him get back to 100% - legally prescribed drugs from his orthopedic surgeon that he was recommended to take to aid in his recovery such as painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs. 

6 hours ago, Gerald ladig said:

Another concern to me is it seems he gets the best tee times and the top playing partners. I know it’s for TV rating.

Generally speaking the "best" tee times for scoring aren't the tee times that Tiger plays. Almost always scoring will favor those who tee off at the crack of dawn if there are weather troubles. The number of times I've heard, "If I had only teed off a little later that wind wouldn't have been a problem for me" is precisely zero, but I can't count how many times I've heard people wish they had an earlier tee time to beat the weather.

Tiger gets the "cushy" tee times with high quality playing partners because the PGA puts groups together of the top players for TV and places them at the best time for TV (not too early, not too late) so that the people watching at home can see the most of their favorite players.

• 3 months later...

Well I just started reading this book and I'm only on Chapter 8 but so far I like the book. It's not a lot of information that I didn't expect but I have come to one conclusion...Earl Woods was a serious a-hole. The ultimate helicopter parent. I guess that's the price you pay for greatness.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

5 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

The ultimate helicopter parent. I guess that's the price you pay for greatness.

Either that or you become a depressed wreck incapable of functioning on your own, but hey! You've got a 1 in a billion shot at being one of the greatest athletes known to man so it's worth it.

There are better ways to help push your child to excel than being a helicopter parent, just because while a helicopter parent can often teach one thing really well (whether it be studying hard in school, etc.) it'll usually make the kid resent the thing the helicopter parent focuses on as well as the parent itself. It also results in a LOT of problems down the line when the person has to adjust to the real world, since they were never really exposed to that before being dumped out into it in a usually abrupt fashion.

17 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Either that or you become a depressed wreck incapable of functioning on your own, but hey! You've got a 1 in a billion shot at being one of the greatest athletes known to man so it's worth it.

There are better ways to help push your child to excel than being a helicopter parent, just because while a helicopter parent can often teach one thing really well (whether it be studying hard in school, etc.) it'll usually make the kid resent the thing the helicopter parent focuses on as well as the parent itself. It also results in a LOT of problems down the line when the person has to adjust to the real world, since they were never really exposed to that before being dumped out into it in a usually abrupt fashion.

Yea...I"m further along in the book now and I have to hand it to Tiger. He just really loved the game of golf so much he kinda overcame a strange childhood. It reminds me of the way Michael Jackson was raised. Neither one of them had what I would consider a normal childhood. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I could haven sworn I posted in this thread, but I guess not. I read the book a few months ago, and hold mixed feelings.

It messes up a good amount of basic facts, confuses dates, and contains some bizarre typos. That makes it more difficult to believe some of the more bombshell-ish revelations.

I also think from a big-picture standpoint the book just fails overall. All of the "bad" doesn't have any impact without also describing the "good." The 1997 Masters, the golf part, consisted of about 3 pages. The 2008 U.S. Open was even shorter. There's no tension to it. IMO if you really want to succeed with a book like this, you need to provide the contrast between the professional success and the personal failures. Otherwise all you have a hit piece (which this book comes close to reading as) or PR (which Tiger's book about the '97 Masters comes off as).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
10 hours ago, jamo said:

I could haven sworn I posted in this thread, but I guess not. I read the book a few months ago, and hold mixed feelings.

It messes up a good amount of basic facts, confuses dates, and contains some bizarre typos. That makes it more difficult to believe some of the more bombshell-ish revelations.

The book is, IMO and yours too, very difficult to read for someone who knows these basic facts and dates and names and things. You're right that they're constantly getting stuff wrong. Simple, easy stuff.

And yet Armen has, repeatedly and vociferously, defended their fact-checking. Dude, when you can't even get the year that some event was won in dramatic fashion or something, I doubt your fact-checking on other stuff is all that great. The dates for some things you can check on Wikipedia, for crying out loud. The authors' fact-checking crew should refund whatever they were paid.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the book. It seems Tiger had a different childhood that led to flawed adulthood. Either these guys have a personal agenda, or Tiger is a terrible person. As a marshal at Tiger's tournament in DC, my father has had several brief interactions with Tiger, and he said Tiger seemed friendly and courteous to him. 

17 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

Just finished the book. It seems Tiger had a different childhood that led to flawed adulthood.

Matter of opinion there. Everyone has a flawed adulthood. I don't get comments like this. To me, it speaks like someone has an opinion on how every human being should turn out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Matter of opinion there. Everyone has a flawed adulthood. I don't get comments like this. To me, it speaks like someone has an opinion on how every human being should turn out.

Mabye I should have said that the book implied that Tiger's childhood led to his shortcomings as an adult. I don't have any preconceptions on how humans should turn out, except to say I usually hold people in high regard, unless they give me a reason to do otherwise. If you quoted my entire post, it would have shown a reason for me to think well of Tiger regardless of the tone of the book.

Personally if a flawed adulthood meant I became the most successful golfer in history and made over $1,000,000,000 since the age of 20, my only question would be which dotted lines do I need to sign to have that kind of flawed adulthood.

I'm not necessarily sure that Tiger's childhood necessarily translated into his issues later in life, at least in terms of infidelity. It's possible that he was exposed to a lot of it since he grew up around the military, but there's certainly no indication that it was present in his father to set an example for him.

Note: This thread is 1458 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!