IGNORED

Do you believe that Repetitive Motion (even exercise) builds stress in the body ?

JCrane
Note: This thread is 2297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you believe that repetitive motion, that is doing the same motion over and over again will create stress in the body ? Lets hear your opinion . I will give you mine later  Thanks for sharing

20 minutes ago, JCrane said:

Do you believe that repetitive motion, that is doing the same motion over and over again will create stress in the body ? Lets hear your opinion . I will give you mine later  Thanks for sharing

The human body is not like a piece of machinery in the sense that your bodies heal. So, theoretically they should heal. Healing ability diminishes with age because of the reduced stem cell count, but in general your body should heal itself. Also, certain parts of the body heal extremely slowly.

The caveat is if you overexert for a prolonged period of time you can break things down before they are permitted to heal.

Edited by Lihu
  • Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

49 minutes ago, JCrane said:

First you must define your use of the word ‘Stress’. Second, what type of repetitive motion are you referring to?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

The human body is, in essence, a machine.  It is a combination of multiple systems that interconnect to create certain actions/movements that require an energy expenditure to produce a desired outcome.  Stress from repetitive activity to the system is inevitable, regardless if it is a human or, let's say a sport car.  Maintenance & conditioning is the key to whether the stress can be reduced to produce an environment of healing to the system. Providing the body not only proper nutrition to refuel itself and rebuild its needed stores as well as properly strengthening/stabilizing the proper areas of the body that will be required to perform the desired repetitive action once again tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Vinsk said:

First you must define your use of the word ‘Stress’. Second, what type of repetitive motion are you referring to?

stress referring to tensions, tightness in the body. Physical tightness

any type of repetitive motion. that is using the same muscle group over and over again. An example would be bikers, swimmers etc.

Sounds like how those cycleists (never bikers ;-) ) and swimmers build strength and endurance....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

48 minutes ago, JCrane said:

stress referring to tensions, tightness in the body. Physical tightness

any type of repetitive motion. that is using the same muscle group over and over again. An example would be bikers, swimmers etc.

Like breathing. 

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Sure it can. Isn't that how we strengthen muscles in the first place?

You overdo it and risk injury from the repetition. Your muscles aren't the only body parts that can be stressed. Joints don't heal the way muscles do.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

I don't understand the point of these topics, @JCrane. It's a vague question and then you're gonna drop some knowledge? Why start with the vague question to begin with?

And… do you play golf? Or ever talk about it?

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't understand the point of these topics, @JCrane. It's a vague question and then you're gonna drop some knowledge? Why start with the vague question to begin with?

And… do you play golf? Or ever talk about it?

My intent here is to get people to think about things they may not normally think about. Why is it important you ask. ? These issues are taken from the work I do with Athletes, people who work in factories, people who work in their gardens, carpet layers, weightlifters and golfers.

I have learned that many of us move through our day without a thought of what we are doing with or maybe to our bodies ( from a muscle point of view ) until something goes wrong. My intent is to get people to pay more attention to what is going on before they have a problem not after. This may lengthen their golf life or keep it from deteriorating. 

With  some of these topics It is I who has been educated from a technical point of view by people in this group that possess the background that I do not.

i certainly do not claim to have the answers because it is different for everyone, but I certainly can share what I have seen in others and what I have experienced.

I am sure there are those who think these topics do not relate to golf, but as I just finished listening to an interview with Tiger Woods who talked about his fused back and how it affected his round of golf, I would respectfully disagree. Here is a man who was on track to break Jack Nicholas's record and what happened ?

yes, I play golf and yes I talk about it, but I have to admit I do not possess the knowledge base that so many others in these forums have, so I go through the posts on golf and try to learn from what is being posted by the higher level golfers.I do spent time in the other forums, learning from others.  I just do not post there. I take notes  

• Administrator

Just share. These vague questions likely aren’t doing what you want.

I only speak for me but the ambiguous questions just annoy. Just say what you want.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, JCrane said:

Do you believe that repetitive motion, that is doing the same motion over and over again will create stress in the body ? 

Yes, but it has to be an extremely high volume. I do not think the typical average golfer suffers from this.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

8 hours ago, JCrane said:

I have learned that many of us move through our day without a thought of what we are doing with or maybe to our bodies ( from a muscle point of view ) until something goes wrong.

I agree with this to a certain extent.

Yes, I've done things without considering how it could damage my body. For example, I used to carry my tool bucket with my left hand. Did it for years until I developed a shoulder problem around this time last year, realized it was from carrying the tools. It took months to heal. I pull them on a cart now. Funny part is, I used to carry with my left hand thinking I would develop strength on my left side and balance my body because I'm right-handed.

There are other things I'm well aware I am doing is stressing my body, but there's nothing I can do about it. I'm probably going to develop arthritis because of how much I use my hands. I developed an issue with my left thumb a couple of years ago. I couldn't squeeze my thumb and my fingertips together with full strength. Couldn't play my bass for a year. I'm not even sure it's 100% healed, but I can't stop working so it is what it is.

I also tend to get minor back injuries throughout the year because of stuff I do at work.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

This seems like the type of question where there's an actual answer, so what I "believe" doesn't matter at all.

What's the answer, professor? Please cite your work.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Just share. These vague questions likely aren’t doing what you want.

I only speak for me but the ambiguous questions just annoy. Just say what you want.

ok, it is your site

5 hours ago, billchao said:

I agree with this to a certain extent.

Yes, I've done things without considering how it could damage my body. For example, I used to carry my tool bucket with my left hand. Did it for years until I developed a shoulder problem around this time last year, realized it was from carrying the tools. It took months to heal. I pull them on a cart now. Funny part is, I used to carry with my left hand thinking I would develop strength on my left side and balance my body because I'm right-handed.

There are other things I'm well aware I am doing is stressing my body, but there's nothing I can do about it. I'm probably going to develop arthritis because of how much I use my hands. I developed an issue with my left thumb a couple of years ago. I couldn't squeeze my thumb and my fingertips together with full strength. Couldn't play my bass for a year. I'm not even sure it's 100% healed, but I can't stop working so it is what it is.

I also tend to get minor back injuries throughout the year because of stuff I do at work.

great examples thanks for sharing I like the one about carrying the bucket, thinking it was building strength and it probably did, but caused other problems

3 hours ago, jamo said:

This seems like the type of question where there's an actual answer, so what I "believe" doesn't matter at all.

What's the answer, professor? Please cite your work.

Actually it is just the opposite. What you believe is what matters and what I believe may or not matter to you.

I have observed swimmers come into my class with very tight shoulders and hips from hours of swimming, and I have observed cyclists with tight backs, but I am not a doctor or do I have my PHD, so I was curious if others on this site had experienced this in their own life or have seen it in others.

Thanks for sharing

23 hours ago, Lihu said:

The human body is not like a piece of machinery in the sense that your bodies heal. So, theoretically they should heal. Healing ability diminishes with age because of the reduced stem cell count, but in general your body should heal itself. Also, certain parts of the body heal extremely slowly.

The caveat is if you overexert for a prolonged period of time you can break things down before they are permitted to heal.

That makes a lot of sense to me.   I do Yoga, play golf, play volleyball and swim, but when I started playing Pickle Ball, I broke down.

First I pulled a hamstring and I let that heal, then I went back and played Pickle ball two days in a row and my back muscles tightened up, so I backed off. I had the same problem with golf last year. I could not play two days in a row. I think it goes back to know thyself.  

thanks for posting

17 hours ago, billchao said:

Sure it can. Isn't that how we strengthen muscles in the first place?

You overdo it and risk injury from the repetition. Your muscles aren't the only body parts that can be stressed. Joints don't heal the way muscles do.

Good point 

Thanks for posting

17 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Like breathing. 

can repetitive shallow breathing cause stress ? Good question. We better save that for another discussion.

18 hours ago, David in FL said:

Sounds like how those cycleists (never bikers ;-) ) and swimmers build strength and endurance....

sorry Cyclists not bikers. no question about that. great for building endurance

16 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Yes, but it has to be an extremely high volume. I do not think the typical average golfer suffers from this.

I would have to agree on the volume part.

Thanks for posting

Note: This thread is 2297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!