IGNORED

Plugged ball

False hopes
Note: This thread is 2292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I hit a shot on a par 3 today from about 165.  Long story short, the ball plugged into the fringe, literally there was only a 1/4 of the ball showing.  It took me 3 swings to get it out.  What type of swing and what club do you use for a shot like this?  All advice is welcome, I appreciate it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, False hopes said:

So I hit a shot on a par 3 today from about 165.  Long story short, the ball plugged into the fringe, literally there was only a 1/4 of the ball showing.  It took me 3 swings to get it out.  What type of swing and what club do you use for a shot like this?  All advice is welcome, I appreciate it.

I moved this to the Rules forum because…

Look up Rule 25-2: http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-25,25-2 .

25-2. Embedded Ball 

If a player's ball is embedded in any closely-mown area through the green, it may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green. 

Note 1: A ball is "embedded" when it is in its own pitch-mark and part of the ball is below the level of the ground. A ball does not necessarily have to touch the soil to be embedded (e.g., grass, loose impedimentsand the like may intervene between the ball and the soil). 

Note 2: "Closely-mown area" means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less. 

Note 3: The Committee may adopt the Local Rule as provided for in Appendix I allowing a player relief, without penalty, for a ball embedded anywhere through the green.

You could have taken a free drop.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You are allowed relief from a ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in any closely mown area through the green.  The fringe counts as such.

You should have lifted the ball (you're allowed to clean it if you like), and drop it as close to the original spot, not closer to the hole, as possible.  You then play it as usual, without penalty.

Rule 25-2 applies.

editted to add that @iacas beat me to it....

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, David in FL said:

drop it as close to the original spot, not closer to the hole, as possible

Yes, I'll take this chance to point out that this is one of the times you don't get a club-length for a free drop. In this case you have to drop as near as possible.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awesome, thanks for the clarification guys.  I actually asked my playing partners about this and they were not aware of any rule that would let me drop.  I think I need to spend some time studying the rule book.

@iacas Thank you for the link.

6 hours ago, False hopes said:

Awesome, thanks for the clarification guys.  I actually asked my playing partners about this and they were not aware of any rule that would let me drop.  I think I need to spend some time studying the rule book.

@iacas Thank you for the link.

One more point to add: do not repair the pitchmark before you drop, that would be improving your area of intended drop in breach of 13-2. If the ball goes back into the pitchmark, re-drop with no penalty (see Rule 20)

• Like 1

One last point, you would not generally get to lift and drop the ball without penalty if it was embedded in the rough.  However, many courses extend the embedded ball rule beyond the "closely mown areas" to allow relief "through the green".  Its usually a good idea to check the scorecard, front and back, to understand what the local rules are.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

...and finally, if you drop and the ball embeds again, you are entitled to redrop.  If upon redropping, the ball also embeds, you may place the ball as near as possible (not closer to the hole) to the spot where it embedded on the second drop.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I actually learned about this rule while caddying one time.

To kind of get at your original question, if you were in the rough, which you're not allowed to lift and drop out of (unless you want to take an unplayable), your best bet is to just grab a wedge and hack out as best as you can. The ball tends to not embed in the rough like it does in the fairway because the long grass slows the ball down. If you're close to the green, err on the side of chunking rather than thinning, and use speed.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the proposed rules changes for 2019 extend the embedded ball rule to include all areas through the green. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

46 minutes ago, Dick Kusleika said:

Isn't "as near as possible (not closer to the hole) to the spot where it embedded on the second drop" in the pitch mark that I wasn't able to repair?

Yes it is.  If the ball ends up back in the pitch mark, then redrop.  It must be dropped directly above the point where it was embedded, and in my experience, will rarely return to the pitch mark.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 1 month later...

Didn’t this happen to Arnie Palmer during one of his early Majors.  He played it both ways and had to wait until the end of the round to find out if he pared or double boogied the hole. Ken Venture was whining about it, because it cost him the win.

Note: This thread is 2292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!