IGNORED

Anybody Else Not That Interested in Premium Golf Balls?

Note: This thread is 1934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've hit the odd Pro V and like them but would never game them. I dont lose that many balls these days but as i enjoy playing golf to a budget they just dont make sense to me.

I really like the "budget" Titleist ranges like the Velocity, DT Solo and the new Trusoft. Hell, i have even played with Dunlop DDH balls and played ok and am now looking at Slazenger Ultrasofts for a winter test.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, RussUK said:

I've hit the odd Pro V and like them but would never game them. I dont lose that many balls these days but as i enjoy playing golf to a budget they just dont make sense to me.

I really like the "budget" Titleist ranges like the Velocity, DT Solo and the new Trusoft. Hell, i have even played with Dunlop DDH balls and played ok and am now looking at Slazenger Ultrasofts for a winter test.

Velocity and DT Solo are pretty decent balls...but the way I look at it, I only play once  or twice a week. So, I might as well play a decent ball like ProV1. I like the sound from a premium ball, and they do feel better around the greens. Not sure if they really perform better or not, but I like the feel. Plus, I’ve started using only new balls per round lately. If I don’t lose them, I’ll put them into my putting ball collection.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think it falls just outside the premium category, but the Titleist NXT Tour S is a good ball.  My favorite cheap ball back in the day was Nike's PD soft.  They played well, I thought, and they were under $20/doz.  Nowadays, you can snag good deals on ebay or even amazon.  I got a double dozen of older yet premium Bridgestone balls for a great price.  You can always go bulk and save some money on ebay.

I shoot in the low/mid 90's, (I'm 67 and have had three back surgeries). I have tried every ball out there I think, 2 piece, 3 piece, 4 piece. At my level I don't see any difference, same with all of my playing partners who all in my category. Given the number of balls I can lose in a round I go for the less expensive balls. Being retired I can't afford to play a $4 ball and besides at my skill level..... I unusually play TaylorMade Noodles which I can get on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods or on line pretty cheap. 

I don’t see a noticeable difference between a $35+/dz ball and a $25 or less/dz ball. So My limit is usually $20 a dozen. Right now I like Srixon Soft Feel, all of the K Sigs, Snell Get Sum or OnCore Avant.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 9:51 PM, tehuti said:

I don’t see a noticeable difference between a $35+/dz ball and a $25 or less/dz ball. So My limit is usually $20 a dozen. Right now I like Srixon Soft Feel, all of the K Sigs, Snell Get Sum or OnCore Avant.

I play Pearl Golf balls and really love them! Premium golf balls for a lower price, not saying they are better than any other ball, but i recommend them.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my bag:

Driver: Taylormade RBZ TP  10.5*, 3-Wood: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 TP 15*, Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 22*, Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5- 53*, Wedges: Cleveland RTX 56* & 60*, Putter: Odyssey Versa #7, Ball: Pearl Golf Pure Pro

Bags: Pearl Golf Liberty Stand Bag & Titleist StaDry Cartbag

I normally play balls that are in the $20-30 range (Callaway Chromesoft or Supersoft/Superhot) and I occasionally will find a ProV1 on the course and play it and I honestly dont notice a whole lot of difference.  The ProV1s feel a bit softer and may spin a bit better but not enough to be a gamechanger or be worth the added cost to me.

Honestly, I could play the cheapest of balls and still get around the course in pretty much the same strokes that I would with a ProV1.  From time to time, I will buy cheapie Wilson balls ("Chaos", I believe they call them) and Nitros and even those are fine, although the Nitros dont feel good off the wedges and putter.

29 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I've not heard of them.    I had to look them up...

I understand the company is just 1,5 years old..

I bought a few of their balls with my brother and a friend, 3 different types (2,3 and 4 piece) and compared them to other brands.

I’m not saying they are better than all the other balls, but I like the looks, feel and distance the 3 piece ball gave me (my swingspeed isn’t high enough for 4 piece ball). Also I like playing with top gear that no one knows and I realy hope this brand makes it to the top.

In my bag:

Driver: Taylormade RBZ TP  10.5*, 3-Wood: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 TP 15*, Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 22*, Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5- 53*, Wedges: Cleveland RTX 56* & 60*, Putter: Odyssey Versa #7, Ball: Pearl Golf Pure Pro

Bags: Pearl Golf Liberty Stand Bag & Titleist StaDry Cartbag

Note: This thread is 1934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!