IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 186.  I was able to get some good practice in, about 15 minutes, after work and before tonight's social plans.  This was, again, 6-iron, full shots, focusing on my angle at A3

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 9 (9/1/21) - Rain day, so worked on putter path with the "2 x 4" drill about 10 minutes. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 66 (01 Sep 21) - Got in a round at the course today.  Continued focus on the iron swing and making solid contact.  Seeing improved contact as the ball flights were consistent and on line with my target landing zone.  Side note, with the winds gusting it was also an exercise in planning for any push the winds may have on the ball in flight.  Given the heat of late with no wind, it was fun playing on a gusty day.    

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 310: Backswing work to get the feel down some more.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Day 613 - September 1, 2021

Hit balls downtown in the morning after working with Dominic. Played nine holes with just irons later that afternoon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 32:

More of the same stuff as the last two days. Used 5-iron today. Thinking I’ll switch between long and short clubs to feel confident in the motion across the bag.

Also did a few minutes each of COVID-19 days 6 and 7 with 54 degree wedge. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 187.  I have been focusing on long game for a while, so I did a putting drill tonight instead.  Ruler drill, focusing on setup and completing the "backswing" (whatever we call it) of my putt, thinking of the tempo drill from pandemic practice.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 10 (9/2/21) - Earlier today I came across an old thread by @mvmac on the method of chipping using essentially a putting stroke, colorfully named the "pip" or "chitch" because it makes use of the bounce. I have used a putt-chip method over the years, but never consistently (I tended to play the ball back in my stance with predictable results), so I found the embedded video really helpful and spent about 20-minutes working on the technique in my yard today. 

• Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 311: Post Ida range work. Focused on long, slow, high backswing and added a feel of relaxing a bit at the top. Also worked on my distance wedge pieces.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 67 (02 Sep 21) - chipping drills in the backyard w/8i today.  Focused on maintaining momentum thru the downswing, working the ball from next to the flag (about 5yds) out to about 30yds.  Goal was to get the ball to land and release up to the pin.  Did manage one to not only go up to the pin, but into the cup. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 1 - pitched, chipped & putted x 35 mins this afternoon. Did really well actually. I like the Blast putting app. It’s been helpful

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 33:

More work on priority piece motion, with a 9-iron this evening. 

-Peter

Day 188.  After work but before an evening bike ride, I did the ruler putting drill.  I fell into a bad habit of using my hands, so I need to revisit an early-day quarantine drill in the near future. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 2 - did some Blast work for rhythm on office this morning. I need to post a grip video sometime soon

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 312: Worked on backswing again with a bit of relax feel just at transition. As @iacas told us in Erie, relaxed muscles are fast muscles, which was from a pump drill. I feel sometimes I have too much tension at the top. So the intent in this drill was to make the long, slow, high backswing, with a slight relaxation as I reach the top, then start the downswing. I did the drill with 6 iron and driver. I filmed it as a well.

I used my SuperSpeed radar to record the driver swings and had 5 in a row of 100+ with the top being 105. Then I did SuperSpeed training with the blue stick only protocol. Hit 107 with the blue and 103 with the driver in this set. This routine has a minimum of 2 minutes rest between sets.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Day 68 (03 Sep 21) - Wedge day today - Set up the 3' dia. washtub at 25yds and then worked the 50 - 54 - 58 wedges, with 30 balls each.  The obvious goal was to land in the tub and out from there.  Shots that were outside the 2 "wedge" club length distance were deemed as missed hits - either too long or too short.  Given that I was in the back yard and grass is not green length there were a good number that landed in the zone but bounced to finish out the "good shot" target point.  Results were interesting, but by no means scientific.  Started with the 54 (my go to around the green wedge of late) - 0 in the bucket, 9 w/in 1 club, 7 w/in 2 clubs, balance outside 2 clubs w/one being a skull.  58 was next  - 1 in the tub (though it bounced out), 6 w/in 1, 8 w/in 2 and balance outside but with 3 skulls.  50 was last - 1 in the tub (and stayed in), 7 w/in 1, 8 w/in 2, balance outside w/1 skull.  My thoughts - no real difference between these at 25 yds in terms of accuracy.   For kicks, I moved out to 40yds to see who things would shake out, I was not expecting any in the tub but so I focused on proximity.  50 wedge - 0 in the tub4 w/in 1, 4 w/in 2, balance outside with 5 noticeable flips of the wrists.  The 54 was next - 0 in the tub, 3 w/in 1, 9 w/in 2, balance were short except 2 (a shank and a skull).  Last was the 58 - 0 in the tub, 1 w/in 1, 3 w/in 2, balance outside with all being short and about a 1/3 being flippy. 

To finish this up I took the 9i and chipped from the 40yd marker - 0 in the tub, 3 w/in 1, 6 w/in 2 and balanced outside.  Pretty much what I expected with the iron.

All that to say, I need to work on wedge accuracy in terms of distance control,  but also to "trust" that I know the wedge, the swing and related distance to make it an easy finish to the hole.  Overall it was a fun exercise in working on the wedges.  

wedge drill setup.jpg

Landing zone area.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 11 (9/3/21) - Friday night 9-hole league finale tonight at NKGC! Great group of people in the league and I'm already looking forward to next year.

Day 34:

Priority piece work with driver today. Really starting to feel when I do the motion wrong now.

-Peter