IGNORED

Playing 18 holes tomorrow for the first time..what do I do about distance?

YoungTad
Note: This thread is 2285 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm playing tomorrow in my first ever 18 holes, I've played small 9 holes, one a complete par 3, and short par 4s, but it's not experience that's bugging me..

problem is I can't hit my woods or driver for length, well I mean not reliable enough. I can hit maybe 3/10 shots which isn't good enough. But is it stupid of me too take out a 6 iron, on a 470 yard par 5? It's like a 160 yard hit for me but 9/10 times I know where it's gonna land.

help/advice please?

1 hour ago, YoungTad said:

help/advice please?

Hello @YoungTad and welcome to the forum.

I suppose it depends on how busy the course is as to whether you pull a club you can keep in play vs working on your weaknesses.

First, cut yourself some slack. You're new to the game and it's a tough game to improve upon. You're going to make some horrendous shots - as we all do - and you're going to make some shots you feel pretty good about. Just go out there knowing you're not that good.... yet. Try to play at a reasonable pace (as in not spending 10 minutes looking for a lost ball), but relax and enjoy the experience.

As far as what club to pull on par a 5, 160 yards for a 6iron is pretty decent yardage IMO. But if you can get even 20-30-40 yards from longer clubs in your bag, then I'd pull those clubs - even if it means not keeping it in the fairway.

Now if you're losing balls on every tee shot, then maybe work on those clubs at the range and pull the longest club with which you can keep the ball in play tomorrow. Understand that missing the fairway is not necessarily a poor tee shot.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Like 2

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Play a forward set of tees that is appropriate and don't worry about it.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

470, divided by 3, is about 157.  If you hit the ball 157 three times...you will be 471 yards away from where you began.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

28 minutes ago, Piz said:

470, divided by 3, is about 157.  If you hit the ball 157 three times...you will be 471 yards away from where you began.  

This.

Then 2 putt for par and call it course management.

First 18 holes round? No sweat. Just a few thing to think about. 

1. Don't worry about your score,  or distance. Use what ever club you feel like, but use comfortable, easy, consistent swings. If you hit a ball OB, move on down the fairway, drop a ball, and add a stroke. 

2. Remember that you are not the worst golfer on the course that day. Let someone else be that golfer. 

3. it's your first 18 hole round. Have a good time. It's the beginning of a great learning expirience. The beginning of a life long journey. You know you are going to eventually improve. Stomach butter flies are a good thing. If you are golfing with someone, trust me, any poor shot you hit, every golfer in the world has hit that, or a similar poor shot. 

4. When you're done, walking off that 18th green, after the hand shakes, take a deep breath, relax, and pat yourself on the back. You did something good. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

This is the best Welcome thread I've ever read! Best to you @YoungTad, and please do let us know how it's going.  Re-read this perfect advice once before each round for awhile.

• Thumbs Up 1

Barbara

www.golfgirl.net 

Welcome to the Sand Trap. 

Agree with the poster about dividing the hole up. 

A course that I play at regularly has a par 4 which is long and narrow, and I can't trust my longer shots, so I divide up and go 4i from the tee, with a 7i then a 9 or wedge. Of course, it's far from impossible to mess that up too, but there's a much much better of me making a 5 (with often having a putt for par) than if I gamble. 

The trick though is really committing to make my GIR for that whole in 3, instead of being in 2 minds. Once you've decided it's a 3 shot  hole (or 4 on a par 5 ), it's a case of working out the planned mix - I'd usually still try and play my longest shot from the tee, because less is likely to go wrong from the tee. A 4/6/8 is probably going to work better for you than , say, 6/6/6. 

Good luck. 

Note: This thread is 2285 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!