IGNORED

Help choosing irons

Note: This thread is 2271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know I should get fitted, but I have a toddler, live a couple hours from a city, and don’t get much time to myself. So eventually I’d like to do that, but I’m pretty tempted to just order a new set of irons. 

I went to the range today and tried my friends clubs (strata), and they felt amazing compared to my 90s callaways. I’ve been looking at some taylormade sets online but I’m not too sure what to look for. 

Anyway, I am in my early thirties, swing too hard, and on a good day am a bogey golfer. Would anyone be willing to point me in the right direction? At this rate I am pretty sure anything I order would feel better than my current clubs.  Thanks in advance for any help. 

Well hello Night Rider! Welcome! Yes, getting fitted is really the better route to go. But temptation...I get it. There are SO many choices these days. Being new to this you really can’t go wrong with GI (game improvement) set from TahlorMade, Ping, Calloway, Titleist etc. Also depends on your budget. You should at least hit a club before you invest. Nothing worse than spontaneously spending $500-1000 then standing over your 7i and not really being thrilled with it. I’m a Ping fan but also have Callaway and Srixon irons. You can also find great used clubs on eBay from all these brands as well. If you’re not willing/wanting/able for a fitting, then any of the mentioned brands and others would be a fine route to go. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome.  If you really liked your friends Stratas; you might want to consider those.  I think you can get an entire set, with a bag, for around 200 bucks.  Also, see what those Callaways of yours go for on ebay.  Might be you could sell one set and pick up the other for very little dough.  Whatever you decide to do; take some time to identify what you like about your friend's set and what you don't like about yours: looks, weight, flex, etc...That will help your search.  Bon chance.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

David, you really need to go to some sort of store and look, hold and swing a few clubs.

Everyone here can tell you what they like but we are all different so someones recommendations might not appeal to you.  Budget is a big factor as well.  Can you use some of your old gear?  ** Bag, woods, putter**

Are you looking for a new complete whole setup?  **Bag, woods, irons, wedges, putter**

This can cost some $$$.  I like Ping, Callaway, Mizuno and Miura gear.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

You need to at least go to a store that has multiple lines and a launch monitor of some sort. There is a world of difference in how clubs look and different shafts perfom. As a fellow 14, we can't tell as much difference maybe as lower handicap could, but we can tell if we are comfortable. The monitor can tell the difference though, if you have a fairly consistent swing.

Shafts have changed a lot since you last bought clubs. Newer game improvement clubs are targeted at those wanting more distance, and the method for achieving this is often stronger lofts. In order to make the club launch adequately, they have much lighter shafts. This may be good for you or may be bad for you(hence the monitor), but the change is drastic enough that you will notice a big difference in feel, especially if you really do swing hard.

I did not get a proper fitting, but I did hit some shots on a monitor with different shafts. I am pretty average, and the standard length and lie sits pretty well for me. I got the Titleist 718 AP1s, and I am very satisfied.

If you are buying off the rack or ordering without testing, the safest bet might be the PING G400. They have a fitting guide that you can do almost for yourself. It is not foolproof, and not as good as a proper fitting or hitting on a monitor, but it is better than nothing. The G400 irons are almost universally liked. I love my AP1s, and a buddy has Mizuno JPX900's-the JPXs are a series of I think 3 models, one of which should suit you. Because of the different shafts, I don't think I would take a chance on the AP1s nor the JPXs without hitting them.

Of course, there are many more, but if I were shopping these would be my top 3.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Thanks a lot guys. I was trying my hardest not to get fitted, but it’s pretty clear that is the way to go. 

Ill sacrifice a day and take a trip trip over to Eugene the next time I get a chance. I guess missing out on a day of golf for the sake of better golf makes sense. Thanks again

I'm a Cobra guy, (I know some aren't), but you can get a set of Cobras with hybrids pretty cheap, relatively speaking. If you are of "average" size you maybe able to get away without swinging a club. BUT I agree with the above, if you can get to a store and get on a launch monitor and try different clubs, i.e., get fitted.

I agree on the Ping G400 irons...I was hitting them inside today.  Very nice.  If I want to save a few bucks though, go for last years model the Ping G series.  Great clubs and the same great shaft offerings from Ping.

21 hours ago, Vinsk said:

... You should at least hit a club before you invest. Nothing worse than spontaneously spending $500-1000 then standing over your 7i and not really being thrilled with it. ...

Hint...

9 hours ago, dbuck said:

You need to at least go to a store that has multiple lines and a launch monitor of some sort. There is a world of difference in how clubs look and different shafts perform. ...

Hint, hint...

7 hours ago, David Hasselhoff said:

Ill sacrifice a day and take a trip trip over to Eugene the next time I get a chance.

Glad to hear it!

And welcome to TST.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

AP1 if you don't play a lot.

AP2 if you plan on playing a little more

mizuno if you plan on playing a lot and want amazing feel.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Not hit an iron in awhile that didn't perform really well. Last time I was at a golf store, literally all the clubs I hit were awesome. I'd go with something I thought looked nice, and consider getting a lesson if you have too much trouble.

If you ever decide to get a fitting, do it with someone reputable.

Note: This thread is 2271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!