IGNORED

A Question about Bags with Dividers

Note: This thread is 2249 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok,  I admit it. I was one of those guys who had plastic cylinders in my bag. It made it super easy to slide the clubs in & out without binding or jamming and they protected the grips. But I noticed that after a time they abraided the surface of the graphite shafts of my driver & 3-wood so after switching to graphite for all my clubs I got rid of the cylinders. Now the clubs, specifically the grips, are causing jams at the bottom and this is in a big, wide mouth Ogio, so I'm looking at new bags. 

I notice now that a LOT of the new bags have 14 or 15 way dividers, some full length, others only at the top with the full length ones made of fabric, nylon I'm guessing. Do either of these styles actually do the job and prevent jamming or does the fabric at the bottom collapse or get bunched together making the club separation feature useless?

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

46 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

Ok,  I admit it. I was one of those guys who had plastic cylinders in my bag. It made it super easy to slide the clubs in & out without binding or jamming and they protected the grips. But I noticed that after a time they abraided the surface of the graphite shafts of my driver & 3-wood so after switching to graphite for all my clubs I got rid of the cylinders. Now the clubs, specifically the grips, are causing jams at the bottom and this is in a big, wide mouth Ogio, so I'm looking at new bags. 

I notice now that a LOT of the new bags have 14 or 15 way dividers, some full length, others only at the top with the full length ones made of fabric, nylon I'm guessing. Do either of these styles actually do the job and prevent jamming or does the fabric at the bottom collapse or get bunched together making the club separation feature useless?

I have a Sun Mountain and Titleist bag that both have dividers. They both do a decent job. Just make sure the dividers go all the way to the bottom.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I bought a nice Ogio stand bag about 4 years ago, 14 way divider.  I'm not a fan of my clubs banging against each other.  After about 2 years the nylon sleeves that the clubs go through started tearing,  I assume the friction of the clubs going in and out gradually degraded the material.  So now the problem is that the material bunches up and tangles at the bottom of the bag, sometimes making it difficult to put the club back in.  Also, sometimes when you pull the club out the whole nylon sleeve comes with it.  I just haven't gotten around to replacing it, but I'm looking for something more durable.

I have a 14 way divider sun mountain bag and have had no issues with binding. I am also pretty gentle when putting my clubs away though.

I use plastic tubes.  To prevent the wear of which you speak; I put painter's tape on the graphite shafts - just a turn or two - centered at the point the shaft emerges from the tube.  To accommodate the putter, and its larger grip, I attached a section of black, PVC, pipe to the umbrella holder.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I have found that any bag with dividers will bind some when pulling or replacing clubs. Some are better than others. My Sun Mountain C-130 isn't bad, but it still binds some. Sometimes I have to pull up the neighboring club a little and the club drops down.

Edited by hilmar2k
  • Like 1

Check out the Ogio silencer. It’s what I use. It’s not the lightest stand bag, but it might suit your needs.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

If you walk and carry your bag, any of the 14-way divider bags will be pretty heavy.  If you ride or have a push cart, it's not an issue.

If you have oversize grips, or even certain midsize grips, they will tend to get bunched up at the bottom of the bag.  Some Winn grips are tacky enough to cause issues too.  If weight isn't a concern, get the biggest bag you're comfortable getting in and out of the trunk.

If you use a stand bag, sometimes the bottoms are configured so the paddle for the legs fits flush up against the side, which may make the bottom of the bag a little smaller, so be aware of that.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Bagboy Revolver and love it. Lots of storage and does a great job protecting the clubs

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I bought a Datrek DG Lite II cart bag. It has 15 full length dividers. (Oh what to do with the extra slot!?)  I usually walk with a push cart and occasionally will use a riding cart so I didn't mention in my original post that I was only interested in cart bags, being only concerned about the fabric dividers bunching up and causing binding. That being said, I took it to Florida on my recent trip and it survived the airline handling and 4 rounds of golf and seems well put together, considering it's so light, only a hair over 4 lbs. There was no binding of the clubs but the best thing about it is the insulated cooler pocket which is large enough for my water bottle and kept the water icy cold. The pockets and zippers seem pretty robust for now but only time will tell. If it's still in one piece in five years, I'll be satisfied.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:37 AM, 1badbadger said:

If you walk and carry your bag, any of the 14-way divider bags will be pretty heavy.  If you ride or have a push cart, it's not an issue.

If you have oversize grips, or even certain midsize grips, they will tend to get bunched up at the bottom of the bag.  Some Winn grips are tacky enough to cause issues too.  If weight isn't a concern, get the biggest bag you're comfortable getting in and out of the trunk.

If you use a stand bag, sometimes the bottoms are configured so the paddle for the legs fits flush up against the side, which may make the bottom of the bag a little smaller, so be aware of that.

Agree with the 14 way dividers. I have a cart bag with 14 dividers and while the bag itself isnt too heavy but im one of those types who thinks "hmm plenty of space here, i'd best fill it all" result, light bag crammed full of steel, balls, drinks clothing food and god knows what else.

I have a 4 divider light bag and a 6 divider stand bag (just delivered). As i carry i think the 6 way will be the best of both worlds for lightness and storage.

• Informative 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I have a Ping Hoofer that has a 5-way divider. I find that the clubs fit well. There might be a time that one will be angled across the bag, or one grip will catch on another. I just give the bag a bit of a shake and the clubs fall back into place.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2249 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!