IGNORED

160 yards to break 90?!

Note: This thread is 1733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 7/23/2018 at 10:23 AM, golfsidekick said:

It's not a cookie cutter system.

This is exactly my point.

There are lots of possible reasons why players like me fail to break 90, which include many who can keep the driver in play. 

Most of us have an overall weakness in every phase, while some are fairly strong at one phase and painfully weak in another.

So for those 90 players whose glaring weakness is the driver, your method might work, but they'd have to be relatively strong (to their scoring average) with the other parts of their game.

I've tried so many different strategies and it really comes down to the fact that every facet of my game needs to improve before I start breaking 90.

• Upvote 1

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a player whos only been playing 1 year managed to get down to 12 handicap, ill say a couple of things.

1. Practise, obviously, learn to hit your irons, and learn your distances with your irons and wedges.

2. Once uve done the first, play to the clubs your good with, say im good with lw with i can hit 90 yards on a full swing(60°) then all u have to do is get you ball 90-100 yards, which you can do with with point 3.

3. Course management, think about what your going to do before you tee off. 240 yard down hill par 4, 8 iron - lw - 2 putt.

For me just by doin these 3 things, took my score just below 80, consistently, worked for me may not work others, but my best now is 6 pars, everything else bogeys, and thats due to just bad strikes, for me, more practise and nailing the shot everytime and i know ill become a single handicapper within a year, just gotta keep practising.

And putting gotta get better with my putting

10 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

This is exactly my point.

There are lots of possible reasons why players like me fail to break 90, which include many who can keep the driver in play. 

Most of us have an overall weakness in every phase, while some are fairly strong at one phase and painfully weak in another.

So for those 90 players whose glaring weakness is the driver, your method might work, but they'd have to be relatively strong (to their scoring average) with the other parts of their game.

I've tried so many different strategies and it really comes down to the fact that every facet of my game needs to improve before I start breaking 90.

I’ll echo this and some. It’s not just that it’s not a cookie cutter system, I would even say for most who would use this system (20-25hc) it’s not even a consistent method. Sure once in a blue moon this strategy may allow them to shoot below 90 when using longer clubs wouldn’t, but I don’t thing it’s as repeatable as the proponents of the method think it is. 

Also- learning to hit longer clubs is a FUN part of the game. I love slapping a great drive out here, or hitting the green with a well hit long iron/hybrid. I just make sure not to take unnecessary risk. Removing driver from your arsenal removes some intended fun from the game I think. I know I know “it’s not how far it’s how many” but there is a pretty good correlation between how far (relative to your tees) and how many 🙂

Edited by HJJ003
  • Upvote 1

After writing my comment ive noticed alot of 100 shooters are the ones telling a single handicapper hes wrong, may i ask how many of you put practise on the range, in my first year ive practised on a wednesday evening on the range then a game on the weekend. If your just playing on a weekend and your shooting 100, how the hell do u expect to get better?? Your practise is basically, driver - 7i -- putter - putter, 5i - pw - putter - putter, driver - 8i - sw chip - putter - putter, how the hell do you expect to get consistent with any of your clubs?!?!?!?!?! 

13 minutes ago, Simanrules said:

3. Course management, think about what your going to do before you tee off. 240 yard down hill par 4, 8 iron - lw - 2 putt.

Nah sounds like a driver or 3 wood hole to me! 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simanrules said:

After writing my comment ive noticed alot of 100 shooters are the ones telling a single handicapper hes wrong, may i ask how many of you put practise on the range, in my first year ive practised on a wednesday evening on the range then a game on the weekend. If your just playing on a weekend and your shooting 100, how the hell do u expect to get better?? Your practise is basically, driver - 7i -- putter - putter, 5i - pw - putter - putter, driver - 8i - sw chip - putter - putter, how the hell do you expect to get consistent with any of your clubs?!?!?!?!?! 

Don't take this the wrong way, but is there some planet you just stepped off of?  I think most of the people here spend a lot more than just a Wednesday evening on the range.  The key is more than just practice, it is really getting an instructor to help improve a person's swing.

I've taken lessons in the past, but have not taken any since my shoulder injury.  I did talk to one instructor; he suggested surgery.  My orthopedic doc told me he'd see me in 5 years, but I'm pain free.  As long as I can still catch waves, I'm waiting to go under the knife.

John

1 hour ago, Simanrules said:

No offense @Simanrules, but as poor as my game is, I know it better than anyone else regardless of their ability. So yeah, I'm going to tell a single capper he's incorrect when he's incorrect - as it applies to my game and my strategy.

As to your question - as off-topic as it may be - I've practiced almost every single day for the last 7 years. While my lack of improvement may be due to less-than-perfect practice habits, I work on specific areas and use video to see how close my feels are to what's really going on. And yeah, I've also taken lessons. Sometimes you have to accept that ability plays a big role in improvement.

So while your assumption may be accurate to some, it probably doesn't apply to very many high cappers at this site. Check this thread out.

I wish getting better was as easy as a different strategy and more practice.

:beer:

Jon

18 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I agree Jon! Some guys are athletic and some are not! The more athletic ones will do better at golf, as they do most other sports.

I know @golfsidekick is just trying to help and I appreciate that he's put forth the effort. I would love it if my strategy was the thing holding me back from shooting in the 80's. While I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement in that area, high scores (for me) are about not executing shots.

One of the courses I play is very short and, distance-wise, I can easily reach everything in regulation using only irons. I spent a decent number of rounds last year playing this course just with the irons in hopes of breaking 90. What I learned is, given a chance to f-up a shot, it's going to happen regardless of which club we have in our hands. THAT'S why we're high cappers.

Jon

4 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

I know @golfsidekick is just trying to help and I appreciate that he's put forth the effort. I would love it if my strategy was the thing holding me back from shooting in the 80's. While I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement in that area, high scores (for me) are about not executing shots.

One of the courses I play is very short and, distance-wise, I can easily reach everything in regulation using only irons. I spent a decent number of rounds last year playing this course just with the irons in hopes of breaking 90. What I learned is, given a chance to f-up a shot, it's going to happen regardless of which club we have in our hands. THAT'S why we're high cappers.

What is it that goes wrong exactly? I understand a bad shot, but what is the bad shot? Whats going on in your head? Are you becoming negative easily? Are you placing too much importance on the outcome? I doubt you dont haveth skills, it must be in the head bro! Open up

• Administrator
1 hour ago, golfsidekick said:

What is it that goes wrong exactly? I understand a bad shot, but what is the bad shot? Whats going on in your head? Are you becoming negative easily? Are you placing too much importance on the outcome? I doubt you dont haveth skills, it must be in the head bro! Open up

No. Just no.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, Simanrules said:

I know you are pointing out "100 shooters" and I'm a little better than that, but it doesn't matter the skill level of the person giving advice. A tour pro could give the worst advice ever, and have been known to be way off of thing such as ball flight laws. Being good at something doesn't make you a good teacher, it just means you are good at it. I learned a long time ago not to ask for help from people I played with who were "good" because they tended to give advise based on old adages like "keep your head down". I've had single digit hcp players tell me "you'd be really good if you just x" where "x" ends up being something that has nothing to do with what I know my actual main swing flaw to be.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

13 hours ago, Simanrules said:

As a player whos only been playing 1 year managed to get down to 12 handicap, ill say a couple of things.

1. Practise, obviously, learn to hit your irons, and learn your distances with your irons and wedges.

2. Once uve done the first, play to the clubs your good with, say im good with lw with i can hit 90 yards on a full swing(60°) then all u have to do is get you ball 90-100 yards, which you can do with with point 3.

For me just by doin these 3 things, took my score just below 80, consistently, worked for me may not work others, but my best now is 6 pars, everything else bogeys, and thats due to just bad strikes, for me, more practise and nailing the shot everytime and i know ill become a single handicapper within a year, just gotta keep practising.

And putting gotta get better with my putting

Where do you play with 240 yard par 4's?

2 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

There is one on my league course, but it's got a pond just short of the green that takes about 220 to carry. So that one I do play a 8 or 9 iron layup then a short wedge on. A lot of the time on really short par 4s like that there is some reason to not go for the green, but if there was nothing in front I'd go for the green every time. There are a few other shorter par 4s on the same course and I always go for them, closer you get the better chance of scoring of course.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

The 240 par 4 l, is just one hole 9n my local course that i can garentee a par, just used it as an example.

Jeremie boop, completely agree, being a novice i have and had people all the time saying head down, blah blah blah and all the rest of it, and now ive ignored them for the last 6 months because your right they dont know better. 

The main point im trting to make is pra tise with your irons, get them down, absolutely nail them, just yourself to hit a straight shot and learn your distance, and then course management, ppay to your strengths dont leave yourself silly little chip shots if your not good at them, im not im terrible, from 20 yards to 70 from the green i suck, so i make sure my ball never lands in that range, i swear to god, if u can do that and uve practised enough so that every time u stand over the ball your confident in yourself, your scores will drop, for god sake ive been playing a year and im 12 hc. And just for a little more info, my bad shot is a thin, maybe 1/20 but it gets the ball down there and never happens with a wedge which is critical.

And 70'ssano i agree people 9n here are serious about golf hench being on here.. also a golf pro is not a doctor nor a surgeon, if u have injury of course its going to affect your swing. And in that case your be so hard on yourself for being a high scorer.

And jonma1, your game is bad by ur own admission, and ur telling a single handicapper they're wrong? Do you not see the flaw in your logic? A beginner guitarist does not tell brian may his technique or advice is wrong, simply because you think you know better, when quite clearly, you dont.

18 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

There is one on my league course, but it's got a pond just short of the green that takes about 220 to carry. So that one I do play a 8 or 9 iron layup then a short wedge on. A lot of the time on really short par 4s like that there is some reason to not go for the green, but if there was nothing in front I'd go for the green every time. There are a few other shorter par 4s on the same course and I always go for them, closer you get the better chance of scoring of course.

Yeah sorry should of add the one im talking about has a stream running across the front, and stream on the back

16 minutes ago, Simanrules said:

And jonma1, your game is bad by ur own admission, and ur telling a single handicapper they're wrong? Do you not see the flaw in your logic? A beginner guitarist does not tell brian may his technique or advice is wrong, simply because you think you know better, when quite clearly, you dont.

You are right about disagreeing with a better player (Love Brian May, btw). Maybe I should show more respect and not reply.

At the same time, can you understand that because I have used what he’s suggesting on dozens of rounds without success why my opinion might have some credibility?

I wouldn’t, for example, ever tell another high capper not to try this out. I’m not qualified to give much in the way of advice. But give us a little credit for knowing our own weaknesses.

Jon

On 2/24/2018 at 12:44 AM, onthehunt526 said:

1. A club you can consistently hit 160 yards or more off the tee and keep out of trouble. (Use this club off the tee on par-4s and par 5s)

2. Two clubs you confidently can hit on the green from inside of 150 yards.

Didn't watch the video, but really here is the thing.

Anyone who can do these two things in the first place, probably isn't horribly concerned with breaking 90. They've probably already done it several times.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Grizvok said:

Ladies tees? Not even, must be from the kiddie tees 😂

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 1733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!