IGNORED

USGA/R&A release new distance report

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, shanksalot said:

No they are talking about making a change.

A little. I don't think they're actually thinking they'll move forward with that. Heck, their "study" that had the ball going 3 yards farther this year didn't even prompt much more than "we'll continue to study this issue" or something like that.

They're not doing anything right now, so it's unfair to blame the USGA for doing something that they haven't done. You can't say they're out of touch with their actions when they haven't done any actions.

I hope they don't, but it they do they had better just make it by bifurcation and enforce it against the less than 1% of the players not the 99+%.

I actually think bifurcation would be worse.

And the 1% doesn't really want the ball rolled back either.

It seems like they are concerned more about losing sites for their USGA tournaments than about affecting millions of golfers who already have distance problems.

I don't think they're that concerned about that.

I think they're trying to speak as if they're listening to the roll-back people, while never really having any intent to actually do anything.

36 minutes ago, phillyk said:

The PGA of America already sent out their survey and I'll assume the PGA Tour and other tours sent surveys of their own to their players for feedback.  If the majority of the 29,000+ leaders of the game come out saying the ball should not be rolled back, the USGA wouldn't dare go against them.  And it sounds like all the above have a majority against the roll-back, but we'll find out a couple weeks I think.

The survey was pretty damn weak, though.

Screen+Shot+2018-03-06+at+8.18.22+PM.png

Meh.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very good response and the only thing I could disagree on is the fact if they are not going to do anything then they should not come out with that statement. All it does is create more bad feelings for the USGA. They talked about length of shafts and size of heads then went ahead and made their ruling. They talked about COR and made their ruling. They talked about grooves and made their ruling. They talked about putters long and belly being anchored against the body and made their ruling. Now they are talking about reducing the distance of the ball by 20% I think most people think since they are talking about it there is a good chance they will make that change. they have been complaining about great courses that have been US Open venues that are no longer viable because of the distance players hit the ball today. Sorry did not mean to rant about this. I enjoyed your post as it was one of the best I have seen on any forum about this topic. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, shanksalot said:

Very good response and the only thing I could disagree on is the fact if they are not going to do anything then they should not come out with that statement.

What statement, exactly?

They issued their yearly study. It shows what it shows.

Now they are talking about reducing the distance of the ball by 20% I think most people think since they are talking about it there is a good chance they will make that change.

Where have the USGA said this?

they have been complaining about great courses that have been US Open venues that are no longer viable because of the distance players hit the ball today. Sorry did not mean to rant about this. I enjoyed your post as it was one of the best I have seen on any forum about this topic. 

Where?

I think you're attributing things to the USGA that others have said.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Are there anyone lobbying or working for a roll-back? I know the 2017 report said they don't want the best players to hit it longer, but is there anyone outside of USGA or other governing bodies that want this?

Also, and this might have been covered in the thread already, does anyone have any insight into what the next five years might give us? Is this distance increase likely to keep going or will it peak by itself at some point?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Zeph said:

Are there anyone lobbying or working for a roll-back? I know the 2017 report said they don't want the best players to hit it longer, but is there anyone outside of USGA or other governing bodies that want this?

Yes.

So far as I know they’re a small but vocal minority.

21 minutes ago, Zeph said:

Also, and this might have been covered in the thread already, does anyone have any insight into what the next five years might give us? Is this distance increase likely to keep going or will it peak by itself at some point?

I've only heard it quoted from Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player and Tiger Woods. They probably won't do much... They've already added 6 new equipment tests since 1998 to curb the distance gain. There isn't much they can do, except make the OEMs do wound balls with balata covers. There isn't much else they can do.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• 2 months later...

“It is important that we collate all of the relevant data and hear the many different perspectives on this issue that exist in the international golf community,” said Martin Slumbers, chief executive of the R&A, “We intend to conduct this process openly, comprehensively and promptly and will work with all of the key stakeholders to ensure we have a fully rounded view of distance and its implications.”

The USGA and R&A plan to release their next joint report on distance in 2019, along with the findings of the Distance Insights project.

https://golfweek.com/2018/05/15/usga-ra-seek-insights-opinions-about-distance-gains-in-golf/

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/advancing-the-game/distance-insights.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 3/5/2018 at 8:49 AM, GrandStranded said:

Lately, everything I read in forums and magazines regarding distance in golf brings me to the same conclusion. Once the ruling bodies raise "a concern" over something happening "at the games highest level", it is the amateur who is about to get screwed. The groove and anchoring rulings did nothing to "grow the game", in fact they made it harder and less enjoyable for those who played a longe putter (I never did), legally, for decades. Now they're concerned about distance, clubs(maybe), balls (definitely). Which leads me to ask, when was the last time you played with someone who was concerned about their game because they hit the ball too far. I believe the time is fast approaching when Bifurcation (a word only heard in golf it seems) is needed. Let the Pro Tours worry about what their problems are, and let the games of average golfers be governed with some common sense.

Well said.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Simple solution - don't change the ball, clubs, or otherwise bifuricate. If, like me, you think 20 under par is outrageous, groom the courses the pros play tougher, make the rough truly tough to hit from, the hazards penal (sand that sucks with tough lies and high walls, boundaries of water hazards overgrown and thick, no relief from grandstands or other temporary obstructions, OOB strictly enforced).

The pros get way too many breaks for missing fairways, sand traps that are not penal, rough that is not ROUGH, and free drops for overshooting greens with temporary viewing areas or TV/commentator towers - the latter of which should IMHO be marked and penalized as OOB.

A  championship course need not be excessively long - just sufficiently difficult for the best of the best to navigate! :doh:

Edited by CR McDivot

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

12 hours ago, CR McDivot said:

and free drops for overshooting greens with temporary viewing areas or TV/commentator towers - the latter of which should IMHO be marked and penalized as OOB.

This doesnt make sense to me. Where do you draw the line? Is hitting into a crowd that is 10 yards off the fairway going to be considered OOB too? How do you distinguish "overshooting" the greens missing long to missing the green left/right often where viewing areas and hospitality suites also exist. 

It's not like players are aiming to hit the towers or crowds on purpose in an attempt to gain an advantage. I dont understand why you think they should be penalized for hitting a ball to a spot that without the tv tower or grandstand there, would have been in play for their next shot.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

“Overall, the amateurs at the test sites picked up an average 8 yards of distance off the tee, going from 200 yards in 1996 to 208 yards in 2017.”

What the Devil? How did I miss out on this revolutionary leap -  I want, nay, I demand my 8 yards!

On 5/16/2018 at 6:20 AM, klineka said:

...Where do you draw the line? Is hitting into a crowd that is 10 yards off the fairway going to be considered OOB too? How do you distinguish "overshooting" the greens missing long to missing the green left/right often where viewing areas and hospitality suites also exist....

Simple... Outside the ropes, or hit the grandstand, towers, or other backstops = OOB!

Somebody said "These Guys are Good!" Yeah, let's see. :-O

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

1 minute ago, CR McDivot said:

Simple... Outside the ropes, or hit the grandstand, towers, or other backstops = OOB!

Somebody said "These Guys are Good!" Yeah, let's see. :-O

So youre saying if a ball hits a rock in a water hazard and bounces back into play then thats ok, but if it hits a grandstand or tower (which are not elements of the course) that it should be OOB? 

I dont understand the logic there.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 2170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!