IGNORED

Patrick Reed vs. the Rules of Golf

NM Golf

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Oy, again with this one.  On the video I see him mark and lift his ball, and set it to the side.  I did NOT see him wandering around probing for random depressions, poking in tees at random to mislead the official who appeared to arrive just a few moments matter being summoned.

The deep hole the ball jumped out of was only about a foot away.  

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The deep hole the ball jumped out of was only about a foot away.  

What you keep saying is not supported by the video at all. Please, show us when he moves the tees from the ones he puts right by his ball to the one "only about a foot away," and then explain how he knew that there would be another impression in that thick rough since he didn't see it bounce.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Oy, again with this one.  On the video I see him mark and lift his ball, and set it to the side.  I did NOT see him wandering around probing for random depressions, poking in tees at random to mislead the official who appeared to arrive just a few moments matter being summoned.

Did you see how they delayed the showing of anything to do with this? 5 minutes after his shot from the sand they had some rules guy come on the broadcast. 5 minutes after that they showed Reed arriving at his ball. Another 3 minutes before RO gets there. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Did you see how they delayed the showing of anything to do with this? 5 minutes after his shot from the sand they had some rules guy come on the broadcast. 5 minutes after that they showed Reed arriving at his ball. Another 3 minutes before RO gets there. 

Dude, they showed the entire clip of him getting up there through to him finishing his drop.

I don't think it was three minutes until the RO got there.

Hell, this whole video is only 3:54:

The RO is on the scene a few feet from the ball at 1:50 in that video.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, Bonvivant said:

Actually, the video that shows the whole process is a bit under 4 minutes long, no breaks.  Walking up, marking, calling for the official, official examining the spot, one take. 

image.jpg

Patrick Reed discusses with rules officials as he takes relief for an embedded ball on No. 10 during Round 3 at the 2021 Farmers Insurance Open.

If you think he marked some extra locations while the camera was pointed away, compare the location of the ball with the seams in the cart path.  The official evaluated the proper spot.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

What you keep saying is not supported by the video at all. Please, show us when he moves the tees from the ones he puts right by his ball to the one "only about a foot away," and then explain how he knew that there would be another impression in that thick rough since he didn't see it bounce.

I don't think the camera was on him 100% of the time. I'll have to go back and review the footage.  I simply don't believe the ball came to rest in that deep hole he had the RO probing.  In front of my own eyes I am becoming a conspiracy theorist.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I don't think the camera was on him 100% of the time. I'll have to go back and review the footage.  I simply don't believe the ball came to rest in that deep hole he had the RO probing.  In front of my own eyes I am becoming a conspiracy theorist.

FFS:

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

In front of my own eyes I am becoming a conspiracy theorist.

Agreed, a retrospective objective analysis of the footage lead the RO’s to the conclusion that he didn’t violate any rules and didn’t do anything you are claiming. You are choosing to believe what fits your preconceived notions rather than taking the objective look at the facts and letting them take you to the most reasonable conclusion. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1 minute ago, The Flush said:

I now understand how Q-Anon exists.

Please, thats getting kind of close to politics.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Yea, they are delving into the land of conspiracy theorist. No matter what, even with full video evidence, they still deny the facts. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So why are so many people saying there's a controversy???  Can't simply be because he tossed his ball aside.  There has to be more.  This is a serious question.

I could be wavering... I don't want to incriminate a guy when he did nothing wrong or devious... wouldn't be fair.  Doesn't matter what he did in the past. 

I watched the 4 minute video and can't honestly say if he stuck a tee in the ground... I see his right hand moving around the ball but when he gets up I see no tee sticking there... no visual evidence.  Granted, the grass is long so any tee he inserted could be below the grass level.

Anyone see the movie "Blow Up"?  We need super close up shots of Mr. Reed's hand hovering around the ball.

This whole episode sure eclipses the tournament.  I was at Pebble Beach two weeks after Tiger holed out from the fairway on #15 to lock up the tournament.  I asked my caddie to show me that spot.  Now I want to go to Torrey Pines and check out the pitch mark in the left rough on #10.

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I watched the 4 minute video and can't honestly say if he stuck a tee in the ground... I see his right hand moving around the ball but when he gets up I see no tee sticking there... no visual evidence.  Granted, the grass is long so any tee he inserted could be below the grass level.

I didn't see him put a tee in, but I saw him remove the tee after the official had examined the lie.  I think it was a camera angle thing, with the camera behind Reed when he first arrived at the ball.  The cam had moved around to the front by the time he pulled the tee out.

Dave

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I could be wavering... I don't want to incriminate a guy when he did nothing wrong or devious... wouldn't be fair.  Doesn't matter what he did in the past.

That's the entirety of the controversy. Or at least 95% of it, with the other 5% being that the ball did in fact bounce. But so did Rory's.

I have been quiet waiting to examine myself.  Much of what I am going to say has been said by others so sorry for a like duplication.

1) if you are going to be critical of Patrick you need to make the same criticism towards Rory.  It is either OKfor all of none regardless of past track record.  Nobody double checked Rory’s, so why should Patrick be required to have someone else confirm it?

2) Dottie does not know the rules.  She says you never touch the ball before calling the official.  The rules and ROs say otherwise.

3) I see no evidence he cheated.  Since there is no camera footage showing the lie all we can do is speculate.  Remember, he did not have the benefit of the replay showing if bounced and we can not be certain it was not imbedded even after the bounce.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

19 minutes ago, StuM said:

Dottie does not know the rules.  She says you never touch the ball before calling the official.  The rules and ROs say otherwise

Many many players, and ex-players, have very limited knowledge of the rules.  For them, the only safe thing to do is call an official whenever there's any question.  

Dave

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, StuM said:

2) Dottie does not know the rules.  She says you never touch the ball before calling the official.  The rules and ROs say otherwise.

Yes.

Plus what Dave just said.