IGNORED

Wedge for thin sand?

Note: This thread is 2162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My home course has a lot of green side bunkers with thin sand.  I carry a Titlest SM6 58/12 as my only wedge (aside from PW and gap, which I use as 10i and 11i). The bounce is great for the edges of the traps where sand is reliably deep, but I can get a nasty surprise anywhere else.  I’m thinking of dropping in another wedge with less bounce just for sand play ... would appreciate your thoughts on this situation ...

I usually play better courses but one, Shorecliffs in San Clemente, has mostly dirt in their sand bunkers. I have a Mizuno 60° with factory 5° of bounce. I took a file to that so it is a little less. I play that square to the ball & attack a bit more vertically & enter dirt/sand about 1/2" to 3/4" behind the ball keeping my lower hand - Palm up thru the shot. Works very nice. Hope this helps.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I were the OP,  I'd probably not get a new wedge, and just open up my PW, or AW. 

On hard packed sand conditions I have a very low bounce LW I sometimes use. 

I see alot watered down, sun baked bunkers out here. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the advice! Before springing for a new wedge, I will try my AW with the face open and with it closed to see what gets the better result for me. The thin sand problem is the result of overwatering the greens. If I would just stop hitting into them it wouldn’t be a problem 😀  

I have Edel wedges, with the trapper grind. All of my wedges have 16 degrees or more bounce. I have no issue with thin sand, and actually prefer to hit out of thin sand. It's also the technique used as well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

You're likely hitting too far behind the ball, @easyjay39402.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're likely hitting too far behind the ball, @easyjay39402.

I hit too far behind the ball out of a bunker. How do you hit closer? Is it a ball position issue?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

I hit too far behind the ball out of a bunker. How do you hit closer? Is it a ball position issue?

Technique mostly. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, billchao said:

Put the ball forward… but your weight really forward. :-) Then… just hit the sand an inch or so behind the ball, instead of further behind it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Technique mostly. 

I was hoping for an easy answer 😉

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Put the ball forward… but your weight really forward. :-) Then… just hit the sand an inch or so behind the ball, instead of further behind it.

I definitely play the ball forward, but I'd say my weight is pretty even. That's probably the issue.

I don't really think about where the club enters the sand TBH. I just swing and wherever it hits, it hits. I'm mostly just happy to get it out in one swing without blading it, which I'm ok at doing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!