IGNORED

How to get a Lean Body?

adampaul
Note: This thread is 1956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 6/14/2018 at 7:35 PM, Foot Wedge said:

This.  Don't get too bogged down in diets and whatnot.  I lost 10 pounds after college since I stopped eating chik fil a 4 times a week and ham/egg/cheese bagel sandwiches every day for breakfast.  And I was in good shape at the time, lifting about 4 times a week.  I just had an extra layer due to all the crap I was eating.  Cut out the junk, eat decent home cooked meals, lift weights with some cardio, and you'll see results.

I was also doing the same for past 5 to 6 months and put on 10 kg weight. After this process, How many week or months... getting results...

2 hours ago, adampaul said:

I was also doing the same for past 5 to 6 months and put on 10 kg weight. After this process, How many week or months... getting results...

There are too many variables to say.  It's not some kind of program and everyone's different.  

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, adampaul said:

Depends on a lot of things. Mostly, genetics and how much shape you are in now. People who have trained for years will be hard pressed to get significant gains compared to someone who has never worked out before.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 6/16/2018 at 7:42 PM, GOATee said:

eat less later in the day.

Earlier in the day, the metabolism is higher and burns whatever you eat.

Later in the day, the metabolism falls and whatever you eat easily goes to fat.

Is there some science behind these statements? I'm just asking because there are thousands of people that use intermittent fasting that prove them incorrect. And from personal experience, I have awaken in the middle of the night many nights drenched in sweat because my metabolism is so high. Sometimes it's 8pm before I eat my last meal (big meal). And your body treats certain macros differently so I wouldn't say that "whatever you eat easily goes to fat." I almost feel like those statements are backwards..

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I would think metabolism should be the highest around mid-day. Most animals follow the circadian rhythm. Most animals should need their highest metabolism at mid-day, then it would slow back down around evening.

Sleep is a big deal as well. There are studies showing that people who work the 3rd shift (overnight), even if getting 8 hours of sleep, will have higher risks for hear disease and struggle with weight maintenance.

Your body still has a resting metabolic rate. So it still burns fuel and not everything gets turned to fat.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I guess my night time example could be that my metabolism was high, but overall lower than earlier in the day. The more I think about it, I've read that it is lower when you wake up in the morning, so that makes sense.

Bryan A

• iacas changed the title to How to get a Lean Body?

Tried cutting breakfast.  No go, too tired for the activities of the morning.

Tried cutting lunch.  No go, tired for the activities of the afternoon. 

Tried cutting dinner.  Bingo, weight loss. 

90% of weight loss happens in the kitchen

try going to five small meals a day with a total of 2000 calories. Do three full body workouts a week in addition do some cardio on non gym days. See how that goes. 

Edited by chilepepper
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, I have also read several blogs on it. There is old saying on the right way of food consumption. “Eat Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, and Dinner Like a Pauper”. This is the right way to eat food and in my case, this process is almost opposite. 

I will surely change my diet according to this and manage the carb intake. I will share the images of mine if get lean. 

Thanks

What ever way works for you when it comes to eating, then go with it. There is evidence showing intermittent fasting has a lot of good benefits. There is also evidence that if you work out, then you are more healthy comparably than with a person of the same weight who doesn't work out. Subject to things like smoking and such. They found that overweight people have much lower risks of heart disease and other unhealthy biomarkers if they workout. I would say, even if you don't get lean, working out is good to do.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

8 hours ago, GOATee said:

Tried cutting breakfast.  No go, too tired for the activities of the morning.

Tried cutting lunch.  No go, tired for the activities of the afternoon. 

Tried cutting dinner.  Bingo, weight loss. 

Finding what works for you is key. Everyone is different so it's not cookie cutter. Keeping it simple is also key because that makes it much easier to stick to. Good luck with it!

Bryan A

On 6/16/2018 at 5:44 PM, HJJ003 said:

Choose skinny parents 😉 

All jokes aside there is already some good advice here...

Has everything to do with it. What an ex of mine called "the fat gene." She was talking about her granddaughter.

On 6/16/2018 at 5:48 PM, Shorty said:

1. Eat less.

2. Move more.

It's not that hard a concept to understand.

Sure, it is, but understanding natural selection's properties is hard. We are hard-wired to put on weight. It's a survival thing. Takes an awful lot of discipline (and good genes) to not gain weight as we age. I'm in much better shape for 62 than average, but still fighting the silverback belly. Old dude, and there isn't much I can do about that.

Doing 20 minutes of meditation a day is even better.

Wayne

5 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

Takes an awful lot of discipline (and good genes) to not gain weight as we age.

Good genes, no. Discipline, yes.

People seem determined to pretend that they can be fat but healthy and that putting on weight is a natural consequence of age. As we age some of us eat more and do a lot less.

The first thing people have to do is to stop looking for excuses. It's hard. But it's true.

7 hours ago, TN94z said:

Finding what works for you is key. Everyone is different so it's not cookie cutter. Keeping it simple is also key because that makes it much easier to stick to. Good luck with it!

But doing more exercise and eating less (and eating the right stuff) works for everyone. You can't escape the laws of science. You don't make fat out of thin air.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The other thing to note is we lose muscle mass as we age (sarcopenia), causing metabolism to fall.  Lower metabolism means we burn less calories a day.

Looking on WebMD, a 19-30 year old man burns 2400 calories a day, 31-50 year old burns 2200, 51+ burns 2000.  If you want to reverse this, pump iron.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, saevel25 said:

What ever way works for you when it comes to eating, then go with it. There is evidence showing intermittent fasting has a lot of good benefits. There is also evidence that if you work out, then you are more healthy comparably than with a person of the same weight who doesn't work out. Subject to things like smoking and such. They found that overweight people have much lower risks of heart disease and other unhealthy biomarkers if they workout. I would say, even if you don't get lean, working out is good to do.

Your message makes this thread worthy. Yes, your fact is right but it will also help me to not give up and work out regularly. This is not easy to get in shape. You have to be regular on work out and well-maintained diet.

3 hours ago, adampaul said:

This is not easy to get in shape. You have to be regular on work out and well-maintained diet.

Find things you enjoy. I am really into playing sports with my friends now. I play volleyball 1-2x a week. I play in a kickball league. I play golf 1-2x a week. I go swimming 2-3x a week. All of these things I enjoy doing. I never really enjoyed running on a treadmill or lifting weights. I enjoy the feeling of working out. I rather find things I enjoy doing.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

16 hours ago, Shorty said:

But doing more exercise and eating less (and eating the right stuff) works for everyone. You can't escape the laws of science. You don't make fat out of thin air.

That's a no brainer. And that's what I'm talking about. When I say that, I am specifically talking about eating habits and diet. Each individual has to find what works best for them as far as diet goes. Some people do better with more carbs and less fat. Some do better with more fat and less carbs. Eating less is not necessarily true either. Many, many people eat way less than they actually think they do and have already tanked their metabolism. Dropping calories even further will not crank that metabolism back up. Eating 2000 calories from mcdonalds and eating 2000 calories of clean food are two totally different amounts of food. That's why you hear many people complain when they start eating healthy that they can't eat that much food. People have no clue how many calories they are taking in. I had a friend tell me he wanted to start leaning out. I asked him how many calories he was eating a day. He said around 2000. After having him track what he was eating, it was more like 1400 and there is no way a 35 year old male that is exercising can eat 1400 calories and have a good metabolism...So just telling someone to eat less is not a good way to get them started on a healthy lifestyle.

Bryan A

On 6/16/2018 at 5:44 PM, HJJ003 said:

Choose skinny parents 😉 

All jokes aside there is already some good advice here...

Has everything to do with it. What an ex of mine called "the fat gene." She was talking about her granddaughter.

On 6/16/2018 at 5:48 PM, Shorty said:

1. Eat less.

2. Move more.

It's not that hard a concept to understand.

Sure, it is, but understanding natural selection's properties is hard. We are hard-wired to put on weight. It's a survival thing. Takes an awful lot of discipline (and good genes) to not gain weight as we age. I'm in much better shape for 62 than average, but still fighting the silverback belly. Old dude, and there isn't much I can do about that.

Doing 20 minutes of meditation a day is even better.

This didn't get posted yesterday, but I stand by it. I don't disagree at all with those who say "Get off your ass!" My point is any program of fitness in the modern age is competing with millions of years of evolution. We are built from DNA and everything we do is either in favor of it or pushing against it. 

Humans don't do personal sacrifice very well. But the point is don't give up just because it's hard. You knew it was going to be hard. Just do it. Today. And tomorrow. 

Wayne

Note: This thread is 1956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!