IGNORED

2018 Quicken Loans National Invitational Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’ll be at the tournament on Sunday.  Hope it’s a great finish.  Have tickets to the Charles Schwab tent.

• Like 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, MacDutch said:

-5 is good enough in my book. Might be in contention on sunday.

Still needs to get over that hump, though. We’ve seen this in several tournaments this year. Bad first round...then throws himself in contention with a good Friday and/or Saturday....and then falls off the wagon at the end. He needs to keep the foot on the gas for two more days and quit hitting the brakes.

In the grand scheme of things, he's playing way better than I expected, considering he was looking at forced retirement a year ago.  But this wasn't that great a day.

He scored a lot better than he played.   He really only made two good birdies; the rest were the result of bombs ranging from 16 to 80 feet. 

That said, he is showing all the components of a great game, just not all at once.  His driver is still a crap shoot, but when it's good, it's really good, rivaling the longest.  His irons seem to be rounding into great form.   His short game is starting to become jaw-dropping in a good way, rather than a bad way like it was last year.  And there is the possibility that all those bombs he made today might be a sign of things to come with his new putter.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if he wins this year, but if he can stay healthy and iron out the kinks, I'll be surprised if he doesn't win next year.

Looks like Tiger and I both had good rounds today!

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

I’ll be at the tournament on Sunday.  Hope it’s a great finish.  Have tickets to the Charles Schwab tent.

Have fun!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

23 minutes ago, Gerald Ladig said:

Pitch and putt golf coursr

Isn’t that every course on the PGA Tour with the exception of the majors? Scoring no different here than any other regular week. If anything it maybe tougher than a typical event. Most events the leader is double digits after 36 holes.

Edited by ChrisP

48 minutes ago, colin007 said:

5 birdies in 9 holes. P good. 2 bogs, eh. Traj and reps, Tigs. 

Par train on the back nine so far. Needs to get something going.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

He did this at Memorial, too,and some other events. Gets hot early on Saturday and then cools down on the back 9. Was on 59 watch at TPC after getting to -7 on the front 9 Saturday and then ended with a 65. Just seems to always be hitting the brakes this year.

Edited by ChrisP

Made a bit of a mess on 13 with a long approach after an errant tee shot. What kind of lie did he have there? I only got shot tracker.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Prolly needs a win to get in top-50 in WGR and qualify for the WGC. Not a fan of his chances at Carnoustie which is an absolute brutal course so he needs to get it rolling here.

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Prolly needs a win to get in top-50 in WGR and qualify for the WGC. Not a fan of his chances at Carnoustie which is an absolute brutal course so he needs to get it rolling here.

He said he won't add any events to increase his chances of qualifying for Bridgestone. His schedule is this week and The Open. A win this week would get him inside top 50, as I expect would be the case at The Open too. Or a decent finish in both perhaps. By not adding events, it's these two that will decide it.

Edited by Zeph

Oh sure, Tiger, miss a 3'1" birdie putt but surround it by making longer ones.  Oh well, 2 under on that stretch is still two under on that stretch.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!