IGNORED

Is worrying about my non-conforming clubs silly?

Note: This thread is 2120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good Day Gents,

My best handicap was 7.7 years ago. Now I am a 14.4 because I don't practice like I used to (time constraints and poor fitness). However I still love to play and will play in a tournament when I can. I try my best to follow all USGA rules. However, I play with Ping i3 irons. I can't find them on the conforming list. It bothers me that my clubs wouldn't be allowed in a USGA sanctioned event. Is it silly of me to think this way? Yes I see many others are also playing old non-conforming clubs but that doesn't matter to me. I just don't want to feel like I would be breaking a rule.

Are you planning to play in tournaments?  If you aren't planning to do so, there's no issues at all.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes. I want to play in some Alamo City Golf tournaments this year to get some experience. Then play next year to see how I would place. 

Only matters for "Official" events. Anyone who would notice and complain in a casual round has issues. I play in many events and I can say for certain that I have never looked at my opponent or playing partner's bag. I wouldn't be shocked if someone I plaid against had 15 clubs. I have my own game to focus on.

For the current Rules, the requirement that clubs meet the 2010 groove is only adopted under a specific Condition of Competition, and the USGA suggest that this only be applied for very high-level competitions.  I doubt that a local tournament would have the requirement, so your i3 clubs will be perfectly legal.  See Decision 4-1/1, end of the second paragraph 

A Committee that wishes to limit players to clubs manufactured with grooves and/or punch marks that conform to all aspects of the Rules of Golf, including those that are effective from January 1, 2010, may adopt the condition of competition detailed below. While this condition of competition may be adopted for any competition, it is recommended only for competitions involving expert players (e.g., professional golf or the highest level of amateur golf).

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

As re you 100% sure your your I3s are non confirming? Is it the grooves that might be a problem? 

I would contact a Ping rep and ask to find out for sure. 

If you are not playing in a sanctioned events, or for a handicap, I probably wouldn't worry about it. Myself, when playing, I never worry about the equipment the other person is playing. This includes balls too. I just don't care. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I am pretty sure the i3 irons are non-conforming to the groove regulation.  However, as stated earlier, this doesn't apply unless there is a condition in effect for the event you are playing.  This is what the USGA site I located says:

Clubs that conform to the rules that were in effect prior to Jan. 1, 2010 will continue to conform to the Rules of Golf until at least 2024, unless the Condition is in effect.

i3 irons have U grooves which met the rules prior to the 2010 cut off; I'm only familiar as I am playing the i3 O-Size irons.  I recall that my irons became non-conforming with the newer USGA groove rules.  My specific model irons don't appear in the USGA equipment search.  There are several i3 models listed in the USGA search tool.  You can find it at this link.  If I can manage to find where I read about my irons when this all came about, I'll pass it along.

https://www.usga.org/InfoClubsDB/intro.html

DaveP043, Weberd27 and all that are telling me I should be fine. The rules Dave and Weberd posted make me feel much better about it. So now I can save up for some new clubs for 2024 and I have no excuse. Gents, Thanks again.

P.S. I checked the conforming database. My Ping i3 are non-conforming.

I just asked my club's mrn's club guru about the groove issue. He said that they had no intentions to impose a pga,  professionals' rule on the amateurs who play their courses. That making amateurs buy conforming groove clubs, would probably cost the GC, and the mens'/womens'  clubs lost revenue, due to a decline in members. 

Now to the purist, this is a poor attitude as far as rules are concerned. However, from a business stand point, it's not a bad call. 

He went on to say that most amateurs don't hit the ball well enough to take advatage of the difference. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Yes, like @weberd27 mentioned, clubs manufactured prior to 2010 are conforming until 2024, except for PGA Tour play or elite amateur events like the U.S. Am and similar events.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Golf is an obscenely expensive pastime.

Neither the R&A nor the USGA subsidizes my expenses.

That being the case, I play with the clubs and the number of clubs with which I most enjoy playing.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Note: This thread is 2120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!