Jump to content
Nutsmacker

Cheating in Tournament

75 posts / 9106 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Martyn W said:

How on earth did the committee accept the card?? If the card is not attested he is DQ!! (6-6)

  

It is not super serious I guess.  I don't know.  I am fairly inexperienced with all of this.  This is my 5th time playing in a stroke tournament.  There wasn't a committee....just a volunteer helping out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

13 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

You did the right thing. Ive been playing with college players in state and national level tournaments for over a decade and I've heard of younger players doing some shady shit, but never seen it personally in competition. In the end, its not your responsibility to worry about policing another player while you're competing as well. Take care of your own game first and dont let another players actions weigh on you. Unless they're angry at all the birdies you may be dropping. Then just point and laugh. 

In stroke play, you may not ignore a fellow-competitor’s breach of a Rule. (D33-7/9)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, nearly every event I've ever participated in, or attended as a parent when my kids were playing, has had some kind of BS rule breaking going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Asheville said:

In stroke play, you may not ignore a fellow-competitor’s breach of a Rule. (D33-7/9)

I didn't.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, c. lassiter said:

Unfortunately, nearly every event I've ever participated in, or attended as a parent when my kids were playing, has had some kind of BS rule breaking going on.

Of course! They’re kids! Some don’t even know the rules 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, Nutsmacker said:

I didn't.  

Yes you did.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:27 PM, Nutsmacker said:

We played on and it was clear that was his thing.  I noticed it 3 more times and I finally just mentioned that it was not the correct way to mark the ball.

You let him breach the rules several times before you called him out. That’s wrong in two ways.

First you could have written down his true score. Two higher. Each time. Maybe you did this.

But mostly you stayed silent and let a fellow competitor breach the rules. You should have tried to prevent it from happening and talked about it when it was clear to you he had (the first time after you thought you were seeing things).

The prevention you failed to do (this is almost more etiquette) at least three times. And he should have been penalized every time he did it. You were his marker.

I understand the weird social situation, but I’m not speaking to that. Just the fact that you ignored several breaches of the rules for several holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Yes you did.

I don't think I ignored the breach of rules.  I told the person running the tournament.  I am more than happy to disqualify myself if necessary, but I did not ignore it.  I am tempted to write an email to the organizer outlining what happened again; and I will offer to disqualify myself.   Frankly, I don't want to have to deal with this ever again....there is nothing fun about it whatsoever.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to hijack, but I had some similar things happen to me during my league.

I am a first year player and bottom of the league, so I try to stay low key.

BUT, I do manage to play OK and score some points.  I have noticed that when I am scoring against better players, they get a bit creative with the rules.

One invented a drop zone when he totally hooked it OOB on a Par 3.

Others have taken drops where their ball would have ended up OOB instead of where it crossed.  Differences of 50+ yards in a lot of cases.

The first week, we were allowed to "fluff" balls on the fairway because of conditions.  Somehow that became OK all season long.

Some of the greens have legit repair areas, and we are allowed relief.  Some players take this to the extreme, and if where they are in the green is not perfect, they declare it "under repair"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, millsan1 said:

Not to hijack, but I had some similar things happen to me during my league.

I am a first year player and bottom of the league, so I try to stay low key.

BUT, I do manage to play OK and score some points.  I have noticed that when I am scoring against better players, they get a bit creative with the rules.

One invented a drop zone when he totally hooked it OOB on a Par 3.

Others have taken drops where their ball would have ended up OOB instead of where it crossed.  Differences of 50+ yards in a lot of cases.

The first week, we were allowed to "fluff" balls on the fairway because of conditions.  Somehow that became OK all season long.

Some of the greens have legit repair areas, and we are allowed relief.  Some players take this to the extreme, and if where they are in the green is not perfect, they declare it "under repair"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Nutsmacker said:

I don't think I ignored the breach of rules.

You ignored it several times. You knowingly allowed him to putt from a wrong place several times.

Again it's a little bit of an etiquette thing, too, but you knowingly allowed a guy to play from a wrong place and continue to breach the rules several times until you brought it up to him.

That's not a value judgment on you and again I understand how awkward it can be, but you may have made it more awkward by waiting so long. I'd have said something the first time I saw it that I was sure. I'd have said right then "hey, yeah, you put the mark in front of the ball, so you've gotta put the ball back in the same place."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not that they should, but each club/association probably has its own culture for how closely they expect rules to be followed. 

I've never been under a delusion about my own association's rigor, but my last outing kind of drove the point home. We were playing a team stroke event and I was with the two old men of the association. One was 98 and the other in his mid 80s. On a level, it was massively impressive that these guys were still out there and getting around the course, but the rules didn't really apply to them. We had ball rolling, dodgy drops and four-foot gimmes all day. After the round, I came to understand they had the association's full backing on it.

What really threw me is that they kept knocking the ball back at me even after I told them I intended to putt everything out. Kind of worked against my fragile psyche. By the end, I was just glad it was over.

Edited by mcanadiens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, iacas said:

You ignored it several times. You knowingly allowed him to putt from a wrong place several times.

Again it's a little bit of an etiquette thing, too, but you knowingly allowed a guy to play from a wrong place and continue to breach the rules several times until you brought it up to him.

That's not a value judgment on you and again I understand how awkward it can be, but you may have made it more awkward by waiting so long. I'd have said something the first time I saw it that I was sure. I'd have said right then "hey, yeah, you put the mark in front of the ball, so you've gotta put the ball back in the same place."

The first time I was sure.

Fair enough.  I did want to make sure that it was in fact the case.  It was blazing hot and my allergies were driving me nuts so I wasn't sure if I was in fact witnessing the cheating move or losing my mind.  The last thing I wanted to do was be wrong about it.  When I did say something to him it was right in front of my eyes as we were both lining up short putts.  So, I saw him go through the entire motion within a few feet of my eyes so I was 100% sure of it at that point.  However, I was about 95% sure of it after 9 holes.  I wasn't always in a place where I could see whether he was doing it or not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I wasn't there, so I'd trust whatever you feel is accurate over what I can tell from trying to read and guess at things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Hey, I wasn't there, so I'd trust whatever you feel is accurate over what I can tell from trying to read and guess at things.

No, you are right.  I should have said something as soon as I thought I saw what I saw.  I was just dumbfounded by what I thought I saw initially.  Again, I was sneezing and my eyes were watering most of the day so I wasn't quite sure if I was just having a brain meltdown or what.  Maybe when I email the organizer about the incident(s); I will request to call the ruling of D33-7/9 on myself to bring attention to the matter.  That could be a way to shine a light.  I don't plan on playing with that group again anyhow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

four-foot gimmes all day. After the round, I came to understand they had the association's full backing on it.

I love local rules.. :-).

 

I am sure they do it for sake of pace of play.............🤥

Edited by GolfLug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Nutsmacker said:

No, you are right.  I should have said something as soon as I thought I saw what I saw.  I was just dumbfounded by what I thought I saw initially.  Again, I was sneezing and my eyes were watering most of the day so I wasn't quite sure if I was just having a brain meltdown or what.  Maybe when I email the organizer about the incident(s); I will request to call the ruling of D33-7/9 on myself to bring attention to the matter.  That could be a way to shine a light.  I don't plan on playing with that group again anyhow.  

It is a learning experience. You may come across it again, but identifying a breach when it happens, politely, is the best approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

40 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

and four-foot gimmes all day

That would shave 2-3 putt per hole off my score, I would be nearly a scratch golfer!

Edited by Elmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Elmer said:

That would shave 2-3 putt per hole off my score, I would be nearly a scratch golfer!

You make that many greens? 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...