IGNORED

Club Champion - Wonderful Experience

Note: This thread is 2086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just came off a Club Champion fitting and I must say that I had a wonderful experience.  I am coming back to the game, slowly, but noticed that the consistency in my swing and ball striking is far from what it used to be.  I knew a change was needed and decided to make an investment in my game.  I've been fit before but nothing compared to the extent of this trackman experience.  In the past, it was a simple clubhead speed reading and a lie board test to determine flex and lie adjustment.  What I found the most interesting about CC is their lack of allegiance to a brand.  They had me hit my 6 iron and while I was doing this the fitter was listening to contact and already assembling combinations.  They have such a wide breadth of offerings in both head and shafts.  I didn't care about brand, aesthetics of shaft colors, or any of that stuff... I wanted the best ball speed, launch angle, spin, and smash. I hit Callaway EPIC pros, PXG XF and T irons gen 2, the P790's, and some Titleist offerings.  I skipped the DG to lightweight KBS and then into graphite offerings.  I ended up with a set of P790's with Aerotech Steelfiber i95's regular, heads were reduced to swing weight D0, 2 flat (which I had before in all my clubs), and they bent to create a 4-degree gap in the set.  I gained 11 MPH of ball speed over my current irons.

They are by no means cheap as they order stock clubs from OEM's and then reverse engineer and adjust in their own shop.

Big thumbs up for this experience and would recommend to anyone.

• Like 1

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

We have one in the area next door to where I go for lunch at least once weekly.  Didn't know who they were and looked them up and it looked like a nice setup, though expensive.  Tough to justify when all the other shops will fit for free (with purchase) and a couple of them do a very nice job as well.  I'd like to go in and talk and ask questions some time, interested in how the attack the fitting.

But for fittings in general?  I got fitted for hybrids and woods this spring (2nd Swing tour van fitting) and the results were amazing.....  Playing my best long game ever right now.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

We have one in the area next door to where I go for lunch at least once weekly.  Didn't know who they were and looked them up and it looked like a nice setup, though expensive.  Tough to justify when all the other shops will fit for free (with purchase) and a couple of them do a very nice job as well.  I'd like to go in and talk and ask questions some time, interested in how the attack the fitting.

But for fittings in general?  I got fitted for hybrids and woods this spring (2nd Swing tour van fitting) and the results were amazing.....  Playing my best long game ever right now.

They claim they have higher standards of quality in their work, that's a bit subjective and harder to quantify.  They'd rather build the set for your then just submit the specs and hope the factories in China get it right.

The best part is just working with someone who wants the best numbers, not trying to push one brand vs the other.  It was AGES ago but my first job in high school was at a local golf chain and the management used to always sweeten spiffs and deals for us to push certain brands.  I don't know if that happens anymore but it's always been in the back of my mind.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

8 minutes ago, DDBowdoin said:

The best part is just working with someone who wants the best numbers, not trying to push one brand vs the other.  It was AGES ago but my first job in high school was at a local golf chain and the management used to always sweeten spiffs and deals for us to push certain brands.  I don't know if that happens anymore but it's always been in the back of my mind.

I know what you mean.  My last fitting was a good experience.  I've had previous "fittings", but frankly it was just part of a sales pitch and beyond a very generic set of shaft recommendations (frankly just stock brand of stiff vs reg) it was nothing more than the dog and pony show.  (sales floor type "fitting").  My last iron fitting was somewhere between a floor pitch and a mediocre fitting

As I learn more, I'm finding out more about gear and finding better fitting options too.  I do think it's not much value until after a few lessons.  How can you get fit to your swing if you don't have a swing that you call yours first?

Bill - 

I've been fitted twice through Club Champion. I got fitted for new wedges through them (although I ordered through my pro shop because I had credit there), and I got fitted for a driver shaft there.

I liked the experience there a lot. I really liked my fitter, which is great. The customer service was really, really good. They comped the driver shaft fitting because I ordered the driver shaft through them (the specialized shaft was pretty expensive, although it was totally worth it, because my driver has been $$$ since then).

The negative is that I'm not 100% sure it was worth the money I paid for the fitting as opposed to getting the fitting comped when you order the clubs through somewhere else. But if you have a place nearby where you trust the fitting process, they're definitely a great fallback if you don't mind spending the money.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

13 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I've been fitted twice through Club Champion. I got fitted for new wedges through them (although I ordered through my pro shop because I had credit there), and I got fitted for a driver shaft there.

I liked the experience there a lot. I really liked my fitter, which is great. The customer service was really, really good. They comped the driver shaft fitting because I ordered the driver shaft through them (the specialized shaft was pretty expensive, although it was totally worth it, because my driver has been $$$ since then).

The negative is that I'm not 100% sure it was worth the money I paid for the fitting as opposed to getting the fitting comped when you order the clubs through somewhere else. But if you have a place nearby where you trust the fitting process, they're definitely a great fallback if you don't mind spending the money.

I suppose your local market also matters... I have never experienced a shop or fitter that carried so many shafts.  I am headed in for a driver fitting this afternoon.  I don't think I'll go back for hybrids or long game as I am pleased with the old Sonartec hybrids that just work for me.  Those hybrids were a complete crap shoot as I ordered them on ebay without ever playing the shaft (Banzai Hybrid, Reg) and it just flies.  I hit the 4 hybrid 210 with a slight draw or dead straight about 95% of the time.

29 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

I know what you mean.  My last fitting was a good experience.  I've had previous "fittings", but frankly it was just part of a sales pitch and beyond a very generic set of shaft recommendations (frankly just stock brand of stiff vs reg) it was nothing more than the dog and pony show.  (sales floor type "fitting").  My last iron fitting was somewhere between a floor pitch and a mediocre fitting

As I learn more, I'm finding out more about gear and finding better fitting options too.  I do think it's not much value until after a few lessons.  How can you get fit to your swing if you don't have a swing that you call yours first?

while I certainly have flaws, I have a consistent swing.  I have some sort of hybrid stack and tilt thing going on.

Daniel Duarte

(edited)

Just wrapped up another solid fitting session and solidified my support and belief in Club Champion.  Visited a few other local shops and fitters and no one had anywhere near the amount of variety in stock.

Ended up in a Callaway Rogue 10.5 with a FW wood shaft (OBAN Isawa Red 65 Reg). A full inch shorter than my 45.5 inch Nickent 4DX.  Smash factor was good at 1.51 with a consistent ball strike but it was amazing what the shaft did for ballspeed and overall distance.  I’m still low on the spin number (low 2100-2300) but launch angle and apex was great.  93 MPH, 240 carry, 265 overall.  I’ll take it.

I was topping overall distance with the Nickent at 235-240.  I’ve never been fit for a driver and have always scoured eBay and local used shops for “good deals”.

Dropped serious coin but hey, you only go around once. 

Edited by DDBowdoin
  • Like 1

Daniel Duarte

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

What kind of money are we talking here? 

Like 8 bills... which isn’t far off Callaways own price on their web, 200 upcharge on the OBAN shaft plus the 499 price tag.

But then I’d have to have a local clubmaker shorten and tip the shaft. So that all brings it to the same price

Edited by DDBowdoin

Daniel Duarte

I had a fitting at Club Champion in Chicago.  Pretty cool concept...I found them to carry a number of shafts that you wouldn't necessarily be able to find & test at normal big box.  This was my first fitting and I did a full bag (one last horah before I got married and disposable income disappeared).  They're clearly focused on the fitting, not pushing you to buy a new club/shaft/etc.  I agree on costs....they basically told me I would have to buy a driver retail ($400) then a shaft ($350), add fairway woods, hybrids, irons & wedges and it's enough to buy 2 used jetskis.  I actually took my spec sheet and bought the shafts and clubs on ebay, or other internet retailers..some used, some weren't.  The best driver shaft for me was Oban Kyoshi White XS...hard to find a deal on that shaft anywhere so I finally bit the bullet and I have zero regrets. The shaft could have been purple & pink for all I care...it's helped me find the center of the club face much easier.  C-taper S+ shafts in the irons have helped keep my spin down and get better distance.  My fitting was very enjoyable and I became a true believer after seeing the results.  

I’d really like to go to a CC fitter. I have one here. Unfortunately I can’t hit indoors due to my irrational and talentless constitution. Indoors I literally feel like I’ve never held a club before. But thanks for the review.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I took my driver to a Club Champion near Detroit early in the season and I was extremely impressed.   I just wanted to have the guys check it out and give me a tour and a sales pitch.  The guy was extremely knowledgeable, informative and friendly.   It didn't take long to impress me.    I have been fitted at Carl's which is a top 100 fitter in the US and CC seemed to be the better choice.   I didn't commit to a new fitting because he told me around Thanksgiving they would be 1/2 off.   

We have some great fitting places within an hour of me and I'm not sure the $350 is justifiable.  Golftec, Wishon, Carl's and Miles of Golf are available.

Thanks for the review.   It was very informative.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I’d really like to go to a CC fitter. I have one here. Unfortunately I can’t hit indoors due to my irrational and talentless constitution. Indoors I literally feel like I’ve never held a club before. But thanks for the review.

Geez and thought I was the biggest  golf headcase... Welcome to the club! 

21 hours ago, DDBowdoin said:

Like 8 bills... which isn’t far off Callaways own price on their web, 200 upcharge on the OBAN shaft plus the 499 price tag.

But then I’d have to have a local clubmaker shorten and tip the shaft. So that all brings it to the same price

Hmmm... 8 bills is a little bit of coin.... It sounds interesting but my belief in shaft flex in drivers has been shaky. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

13 hours ago, Vinsk said:

2 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Geez and thought I was the biggest  golf headcase... Welcome to the club! 

Hmmm... 8 bills is a little bit of coin.... It sounds interesting but my belief in shaft flex in drivers has been shaky. 

For me, it may have to do with it being really dark indoors in those hitting bays. It takes me a while to get used to it. I rarely hit balls at Golf Galaxy when I go by for that reason. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 9:33 PM, DDBowdoin said:

Just wrapped up another solid fitting session and solidified my support and belief in Club Champion.  Visited a few other local shops and fitters and no one had anywhere near the amount of variety in stock.

Ended up in a Callaway Rogue 10.5 with a FW wood shaft (OBAN Isawa Red 65 Reg). A full inch shorter than my 45.5 inch Nickent 4DX.  Smash factor was good at 1.51 with a consistent ball strike but it was amazing what the shaft did for ballspeed and overall distance.  I’m still low on the spin number (low 2100-2300) but launch angle and apex was great.  93 MPH, 240 carry, 265 overall.  I’ll take it.

I was topping overall distance with the Nickent at 235-240.  I’ve never been fit for a driver and have always scoured eBay and local used shops for “good deals”.

Dropped serious coin but hey, you only go around once. 

This information is exactly what we need to answer your question about changing balls to increase backspin slightly.

Based on these numbers, you are golden...don't change a thing!  First, your smash factor isn't "good".  It's really freakin' good. Theoretically, 1.50 is as good as can be obtained, but I have seen examples of players exceeding that.  Not very often, but it can happen.  1.51 is better than perfect, so you are getting maximum ball speed.  You mentioned launch angle was great, and we know your spin rate.  With your ball speed at 140.4 mph, ideal launch angle of 12.9* and perfect spin of 2499 rpms, mathematically your maximum carry distance is 242.8 yds.  You're already there.  I hate to tell you, but squeaking another 7-10 yds of distance out of your rig isn't possible. 

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!