IGNORED

Finding a home course

JarrettLeger
Note: This thread is 2081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a member at a club with 4 premier courses on site. I love it, but also play in a 80 man league every Thursday where we travel to other great courses on the Strand like Caladonia, True Blue, Tidewater, etc. It's the best of both worlds!

Edited by GrandStranded
  • Like 1

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, iacas said:

You need to replace them with new buddies every two years. Variety is the spice of life.

That's my way of saying that there are those who enjoy playing the same course in a variety of conditions and those who don't.

If the course is good, it'll still probably hold your attention after 10 rounds and after 100 rounds.

You got me! That's a point. And amplifying on Patch's reply, I guess your "home course" can just be the one you like to play most often.

I signed up for the "Greatest Golfer in the Valley" tournament this year for two reasons. One, I went to watch the final day's play at The Lake Club (private), and it looked really laid out! Two, I found out that the Seniors will play Youngstown Country Club (verrry private), on day 2. I have never had the opportunity to play there, so I'm very much looking forward to it. The place looks fantastic!

Plus, and I guess you could call this reason #3, is that everybody plays Mill Creek on Day 1, and I know that course like the back of my hand! I've played more golf there than all the other courses in the area combined, and I've literally played everywhere I could get on.

In fact, the entry form asks for a home course, and Mill Creek is what I picked.

My simple review to this question is....It's all about the people you play with. Joining a club is like pledging a frat. Where do your buds play? It's not always easy breaking into the gunk that exists at clubs. It's more social than the golf....Otherwise just play at all the various  places.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FLOG4 said:

My simple review to this question is....It's all about the people you play with. Joining a club is like pledging a frat. Where do your buds play? It's not always easy breaking into the gunk that exists at clubs. It's more social than the golf....Otherwise just play at all the various  places.

I tend to agree for the most part. I have belonged to two private clubs - The first was as described; the second was great fun all because of the people.

That club is gone now. My golf buddies and I now enjoy setting up and scheduling and playing at numerous different courses.

I might add that alternatives to private clubs in our area include the memberships at privately owned courses that have member structures. That might be great for golf, but if a family wanted more (restaurant/dining room, tennis, swimming), I don't think it works. Best to all, -Marv

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I have lived at numerous places. I have been a member at private clubs...But that was mostly so my kids had great access to play this maddening game. Many areas have these discount clubs which make great access to many. New England has the Golfing Magazine...We had about 20 guys who would play every week as we wandered around playing varios places...Many private clubs. When I was in FL there is the SFPGA card which allows access to many great privates in the summer as all their members are elsewhere...Now in VA there is the VSGA and it allows discounted play at a myriad of places...Way back when I use to be a Golf Card member. It was one of the first to create play at many for a discount.  

Great information guys! I appreciate all the input. 

Unfortunately, there is only 1 private course in my area, and I 100% will not be able to convince the wife of that. So right now I have my eyes set on two courses for memberships. The first one is just down the street from the airport where I work and it's a beautiful course (probably the best in the area) and is $975 for a family. Then there is a 9 hole course just a few miles away in a different town which I will be going to play this week sometime and is only $475 for a family.

Not sure this is relevant, but every year I purchase a discount card that covers 5 or 6 golf courses in our area. It allows me play at these courses at a highly reduced rate. Up to 40% off normal rates, at specific times. I might use it 10 times a year.

It does not include my home course who's rates are less than what the discount card offers at those other course's..

I suppose this makes me a member of sorts to those golf courses. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, Patch said:

Not sure this is relevant, but every year I purchase a discount card that covers 5 or 6 golf courses in our area. It allows me play at these courses at a highly reduced rate. Up to 40% off normal rates, at specific times. I might use it 10 times a year.

It does not include my home course who's rates are less than what the discount card offers at those other course's..

I suppose this makes me a member of sorts to those golf courses. 

Ohh the only thing I could find in Nebraska is this; https://nebraskagolfpassport.org/

Which I will probably get next year for sure and travel during the week to play a round or two.

Here in the Mahoning Valley (NE Ohio), we have the "My Loop Card". It offers discounts at a about dozen different courses. They use a paper punch to put a hole in the card at their course. You can use it at each course only once. Well, unless they choose not to punch your card, which might be the smart thing to do! Keep you coming back. Some money in the till is better than an empty first tee!

Also,one course near here, "The Links at Firestone Farms", a really nice course, offers a small bucket of range ball along w/the 18 and cart. They rebuilt their range this year, and the first two times we went to play there, it wasn't ready to use. So, the guy charged us the reduced rate, but didn't punch the card because the range wasn't ready!

I thought that was very nice and the way to take care of your customers. So they'll see more money from us!

I live in Germany so things might be a little different here. We also have 4 courses within a 20 minute drive. In the end, we opted for the closest, simply because we reckoned on a summer evening we were more likely to play a few holes if we only had to drive 10 minutes. Another factor was the fact that our course has no tee times - you just turn up and play, and it is rare to have to wait more than a few minutes before teeing off. Also: the course is a difficult one, which means we usually find other courses easier to play. For us, being members of a club was important, as taking part in competitions and other club events adds to the social enjoyment.

The only real drawback was that the club we chise was probably the „snootiest“ of the four. We reckoned we would find some normal, down-to-earth people to play and hang out with. It took a while - but worked out fine in the end!

Someone mentioned clubs cooperating with each other. This has become a major factor here as clubs compete for new members. We can now play on four courses without having to oay a green fee, which is a huge plus.

since you're in Nebraska, I say just go ahead and join this one.  

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/sand-hills

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 8/5/2018 at 12:07 PM, JarrettLeger said:

The first one is just down the street from the airport where I work

Fair Play Public Golf Course? Looks like my kind of course. Not long, flat and almost none of that freaking water stuff.  Hell of a price if that membership is unlimited.

That said, I'd try to get as much golf in as you can at your candidates. A big aspect of it is how you get on with the other members. Get to know them if you can before you commit.

Note: This thread is 2081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!