IGNORED

press before chipping?

Note: This thread is 2084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I began experimenting with a slight press right before my chips (basically just rotating my hips very gently and pressing my right knee in a bit) and then taking the club away.  It has been very effective thus far.

Obviously, the first thought any of us would likely have is "if it's working, keep with it" so I will...But, I have to say, it does concern me a bit that nobody seems to advocate doing it, and I can't recall ever seeing a good player doing it or even so much as a youtube clip showing it as a potential fix for chipping problems.

Has anyone ever heard of doing this?  It wasn't a miracle fix for me, but it definitely seemed to help.

I'm no expert, but I can't see any big problem with a little forward press as a trigger to start any stroke.  I may even do this myself, subconsciously, I'll have to pay attention tomorrow when I play.  You should be aware that if your lower-body press ends up moving your hands a little forward, you're lowering the loft and decreasing the bounce of your club at that point, which would slightly change your impact and ball flight if your impact position was the same as at the start of your take-away.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have never consciously started any of my swings with a press of any kind. Just the way I was taught many, many years ago. It was considered a wasted move by my swing guru, even though at the time, it was a common move among the pros. 

Like the OP posted if it works, it ain't broke, so don't try to fix it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I use it for chipping only. I press the handle forward depending on how much I want to Deloft the club. My playing partners ask my why not take a lower lofted club. For me it’s a mental thing. Works for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

On 8/8/2018 at 6:36 AM, Nagah said:

I use it for chipping only. I press the handle forward depending on how much I want to Deloft the club. My playing partners ask my why not take a lower lofted club. For me it’s a mental thing. Works for me.

I think that delofting a higher lofted club will typically increase the spin rate especially on tight lies. I use a 58* around the green and even may use it with low hanging branches in the way. I will deloft it and it seems to stop quicker on the green.

For chipping, it's fine. You are not using much bounce with chipping anyways.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Haven't pressed consciously - but I like to move my feet subtly to remain athletic or tap the clubhead a few times on the ground before taking it back - keep the arms loose.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

On 8/8/2018 at 6:36 AM, Nagah said:

This is kind of my answer. It's the kind of flight I want to put on the ball. And, there are instances where I WILL take the lower lofted club. It usually depends on what kind of lie I'm coming out of. A heavier lie will usually mean a more lofted, heavier club. A nice clean lie, where I can get the ball rolling more quickly, I'll take the lower lofted club.

Note: This thread is 2084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!