IGNORED

The $5 Bucket

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A small bucket starts around 9-12 dollars in my area at your typical range, not attached to a golf course. I'd say it's about 60-75 balls. 

There should be a $5 bucket, 30-35 balls. I get it. Businesses think they'll lose revenue and more will opt for the cheaper bucket. 

Sometimes you just want a quick-ish practice session and people these days have busy schedules. It's not uncommon for me to see people buying two large buckets and those aren't going to opt for the small size. I'd think ranges would get people who otherwise would not have come if there were a $5 bucket.

More than a few times I got the "small" bucket and left a good number of balls behind. I just see this as a business #fail. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

More than a few times I got the "small" bucket and left a good number of balls behind. I just see this as a business #fail. 

You bought a larger bucket (than you needed), didn't you?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

You bought a larger bucket (than you needed), didn't you?

I got the cheapest bucket, 70 ish balls, there was no 30-40 balls bucket option but had only time to finish off 40  so I left them behind. Have done this many times, better short practice than  no practice.

That's not my regular practice range, which does have a $5 option. I bought a 400 bucket card from them so got a discount but that's something else. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
Just now, nevets88 said:

I got the cheapest bucket, 70 ish balls, but had only time to finish off 40  so I left them behind. Have done this many times, better short practice than  no practice.

Right, so what's the fail? The business still got your money.

You didn't shy away because the "cheapest" bucket had too many balls. You still gave 'em $$$.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to The $5 Bucket
2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Right, so what's the fail? The business still got your money.

You didn't shy away because the "cheapest" bucket had too many balls. You still gave 'em $$$.

I agree it's a win for them but a lose for me, if they had a $5 bucket I would have taken it and saved 50%. 

Steve

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I just see this as a business #fail. 

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

I agree it's a win for them

I give up?

At Whispering Woods, a small bucket (one drop) is $5. A medium (two drops) is $8. Most people get the $8. But if you're only gonna hit 35 balls, it's still a waste of $3.

Some people will split it. They save a whopping $1 each.

It's really no different than a restaurant giving you a larger portion and charging more for the plate than they could have gotten away with if they served a normal-sized portion.

Except with food you can usually take it home with you, although I have heard of people putting their half-finished range buckets in their trunk and bringing them back next session.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 minute ago, billchao said:

Except with food you can usually take it home with you, although I have heard of people putting their half-finished range buckets in their trunk and bringing them back next session.

Yep.

It takes almost as long to eat a smaller meal as a slightly bigger one, so $8 profit is better than $5 profit and a more appropriate size serving.

And nobody wants to go to a restaurant and leave still hungry.

$4 & $6 for me at both our local courses. Three months ago,  it was $3 & $5. 

I know in our area (Vegas Valley) golf courses are trying to raise revenue any way they can without increasing green fees too much.  The Vegas area is hurting for newer, local players. 

Instruction costs have risen, as have food, and drink prices. Cart rentals have even increased. Some courses even require range balls to be purchased to use on their short game practice areas. 

I am happily impressed how the two courses I frequent manage to keep the courses in great playing conditions, while keeping all their prices lower. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I played at a resort course in Vermont last weekend and had about 15 minutes before teeing off and the only option was paying $11 to hit balls but the the plus side for people who had more time was they could hit an unlimited amount.

I don't think I could hit $11 worth of balls in a quality practice session, though.  I barely get through the $6 bucket at my local course which is a small bucket.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Most people get the $8. But if you're only gonna hit 35 balls, it's still a waste of $3.

That's exactly it. Except I don't have the $5 option. I've done it enough, leaving balls behind, that it adds up. At the ranges here it's $10 for a small - 75 and $15 for a large. Those are the only options. I just want a $5 35 ball option. 

I'm not the typical range customer as using the camera uses more time so I use way fewer balls in an hour than most people gunning through their buckets. 

I just want 

$5 - 35

$10 - 75 

$15 - whatever, 120

at all the ranges near me.

I'm stuck with

$10 - 75

$15 - 120

The one range with the $5 bucket is not close to me. 

Steve

• Administrator
Just now, nevets88 said:

That's exactly it. Except I don't have the $5 option. I've done it enough that it adds up. At the ranges here it's $10 for a small - 75 and $15 for a large. Those are the only options. I just want a $5 35 ball option. 

I gave up; I still have no idea what the "business fail" is.

They don't have your option, yet you pay them anyway.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I gave up; I still have no idea what the "business fail" is.

They don't have your option, yet you pay them anyway.

Because I have no choice. I asked them for the option, they just politely acknowledged the suggestion. I'm not going to bring half a bucket home. 

Steve

OK, fail is a strong word. Bad brain filter. Shortcoming? 

Steve

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

OK, fail is a strong word. Bad brain filter. Shortcoming? 

No. You still buy the bucket.

Maybe these words you’re using would apply if you didn’t choose to buy anyway.

Just leave the balls you don't hit there. Maybe some kid who can't afford more but would love to hit more will get a solid from you. Consider it a good deed. 

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I see you're from New York where everything is more expensive. You're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Either you spend the gas money to get to the $5 bucket, or you go to the close place and pay $10. I think the close range knows they have the local market by the short hairs, so there's no reason to offer anything cheaper.

I'm lucky. There's a self-serve range nearby. You put your bucket under the spout, select your size, and swipe your debit or credit card. A small bucket, 50-55 balls, is $5! And I've left balls behind as well.

Note: This thread is 2026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!