buttputt40

How Many Yards Does Hitting From a Divot Hole Cost You?

9 posts / 909 viewsLast Reply

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Zero if you’re hitting the ball first 😁

Seriously, Hit down a little more and don’t be too timid.

And you’re not alone getting upset...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends on the shear strength of the soil and the geometry of the club, ha ha. @Lihu is right about hitting the ball first. I have been working on a couple of drills I found to develop a consistent low point for my club (how to control the low point of your arc). I played yesterday in central Ohio in very wet conditions, which would normally spell disaster for someone plagued by hitting it fat, but I was really striking the irons well and shot a decent (for me) 82 after having not played for 6 weeks or so. I practiced the drill throughout my round. It did cause issues with my driver, which I had tried to hit with an upward angle of attack whereas the drill causes more of a descending action as well as getting the weight on the lead leg. 

As @Lihu says, play the ball a little back, so you're hitting down just a little more, and hitting from a divot isn't all that difficult.  Maybe you're making a bogey because you haven't taken the time to learn that simple adjustment.  Maybe you would have made bogey from that spot, even if you'd had a perfect lie.

9 hours ago, buttputt40 said:

I get upset when I bogey because of divot. 

How do you know?  What is it that gives you the certainty that the bogey was caused by the lie?  You don't post a handicap, so I can't what level of player you are, but in my experience, anyone can make a bogey at any time without any assistance from a bad lie.  I'm far more upset with the Fates when I hit a perfect drive in the middle of the fairway, have a great lie and a great angle to the hole, then block the ball 20 yards right and make a bogey or a double with nothing to blame it on but my own ineptness.

I don't lose hardly any yards from a divot. I just club up, or down to get decent results.

The problem with divots for me, is I have to figure out my aim point, based on the depth, and width of the divot. I will sometimes catch the heel of my club a little before impact, which closes the club face, and will send the ball right. Sometimes I will even hit a fade due an open club face. 

A ball in a divot is just another type of ball lie, that needs to be looked at to figure out the type of club, and shot that is needed to advance the ball for a more playable next shot.

In other words, the lie of the ball on every shot dictates what we can, and/or can't do with it. It's a shot that should be practiced. Pretty easy to find divots to hit out of on the driving range. 

Edited by Patch

On 1/5/2019 at 12:18 AM, buttputt40 said:

I get upset when I bogey because of divot. 

There's your problem, blaming a bad hole on a divot. Buck up little camper, life (and golf) is hard. 

To answer the OP.  Let assume it's a 100 yard shot and I'm in a divot and I hit my 100 yard club...

Roughly?  the ball goes from between 0 yards and 200 yards.....depending on the contact...

If the divot is so deep that I am concerned about making good contact; I will either take a drop or play a repair shot.  Otherwise it is just a tight lie.