IGNORED

Hogan Twist Takeaway

Note: This thread is 1677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

noted an article in February edition of Golf Magazine about Hogan's swing as analyzed by AI technology and Swing Index. I have of course read about some of his prime moves before, but seeing the photos in the article gave me much better perception. The twist move he had at take away was not addressed, but the backswing and "lay off" was. This has been discussed in many threads and videos on you tube.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Hogan Twist Takeaway

Another decent book on Hogan's swing was written years ago by Jack Schlee titled "Maximum Golf". 

Probably not as fine tuned as today's modern scrutiny, but was pretty informative back then. 

• Informative 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Patch said:

Another decent book on Hogan's swing was written years ago by Jack Schlee titled "Maximum Golf". 

Probably not as fine tuned as today's modern scrutiny, but was pretty informative back then. 

right.Jack's book has also been mentioned in videos I have seen. I subscribe to Tom Bertrand's you tube channel for several Hogan videos. For some reason, I am not able to copy and paste here. Works fine everywhere else.  I am pretty sure its something on my browser. (Chrome)

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator

Hogan didn't do what the guy says he did at 4:15. His left wrist was cupped a bit at A1, still about the same at A2, and then cupped a little bit more (but not much) at the top.

Hell, Hogan did more of the opposite than what this guy is saying. Hogan's right hand stayed on top more than the guy demonstrates; it didn't twist "under."

02.jpg01.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Has this guy ever looked at Hogan's swing? 😂

Agree with @iacas, if anything Hogan is doing the opposite.

IMO Hogan had more of what's called a lagging club head takeaway, meaning the club head "lagged" behind the hands on the takeaway. I just don't think you can get in these positions with twisting or rolling the forearms while adding extension (cup) to the lead wrist. I agree he maintained or maybe added a little extension in the lead wrist early takeaway, almost "pushed" the grip end back with the heel pad of the left hand.

Hogan 2.jpg

Right hand above left, well away from his right thigh. If you twisted you can't create that amount of width. Look at how the right elbow is well away from his rib cage.Hogan 3.jpg

Hands and shaft almost inline at 1.5, again don't think that can get there by rolling the forearms early.Hogan 4.jpg

Right hand on top of left here.Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 8.47.38 PM.png

I have some thoughts on how this allowed him to get to the top with such an externally rotated right elbow, might do a video on that soon.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Little off topic but goes to the credibility of the video. Hogan also didn't have his arms super externally rotated at setup (elbows turned under, elbows close together), like Bertrand is demonstrating.

This is right before he starts to take it back.

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 10.32.10 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

3 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Little off topic but goes to the credibility of the video. Hogan also didn't have his arms super externally rotated at setup (elbows turned under, elbows close together), like Bertrand is demonstrating.

Good point Mike. As you said..did this guy ever watch Hogan swing? I don’t get what his motive is to present such blatantly wrong info. And it’s not like a bunch of terms or speculations as to what Hogan said...it’s plain as daylight to see. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 1/20/2019 at 12:40 AM, Vinsk said:

Good point Mike. As you said..did this guy ever watch Hogan swing? I don’t get what his motive is to present such blatantly wrong info. 

He said it in the video, he's selling a book.

David Laville, G.S.E.M.
The Golfing Machine Authorized Instructor

On 1/20/2019 at 1:34 AM, mvmac said:

I did read somewhere, can't remember where, that Hogan "felt" like he was squeezing his elbows together. 

As far as the right hand on top, just look where the "V" of his right hand is pointing. Looks like it's between his left ear and shoulder! Fight a hook, anyone?

• 7 months later...

Isn't Ben Hogan brilliant? He "gave" us the secret but did he really? He cups his left wrist and fans the clubface open as much as he could so he couldn't close it enough to hook it? What was also the other secret again? Oh, the kicking in of the right knee and the digging in of the spot on his back foot where he had the "extra spike" installed?

Trust me guys, those aren't even close to what the real secret (which he took to the grave by the way) is!!! Too bad that golf magazine didn't pay up so he would finally reveal the "real" secret the second time. Oh well, good for us so we can still find this game of golf difficult and challenging! LOL

Here's the real secret guys...

drum roll plzzzz

He reverse the "flip" tendency he had.. what do I mean by that you say?!

After he discovered that secret, in his downswing he actually flung the club-head at the ball the same way he was doing in his "duck-hooky" days. But what changed???? I guess we'll never know coz none of the top golf instructors or PGA or LPGA professionals has been kind enough to tell us.. (myself included lol) or is it because nobody but our dear Mr.Hogan knows it? LOL

Before the secret pix

insl01_hogan_left_wrist.jpg.2606164b19cbe7f8b1c34a6b997f3928.jpg

After the secret pix

6b34904df5c70142659b3c9319dee784.jpg.f512fc564f94be323a6091b8efa7ecc2.jpg

Ben Hogan's the best and I'm glad nobody knows his secret. He's a really great human being. A true humble hero. He's my idol in golf and life. He worked really hard for it and he does not owe it to anyone to share! I'm happy his swing is still the golfer's holy grail. Cheers guys n have a lovely day :)

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, MSK_LPGA said:

Isn't Ben Hogan brilliant? He "gave" us the secret but did he really? He cups his left wrist and fans the clubface open as much as he could so he couldn't close it enough to hook it? What was also the other secret again? Oh, the kicking in of the right knee and the digging in of the spot on his back foot where he had the "extra spike" installed?

Trust me guys, those aren't even close to what the real secret (which he took to the grave by the way) is!!! Too bad that golf magazine didn't pay up so he would finally reveal the "real" secret the second time. Oh well, good for us so we can still find this game of golf difficult and challenging! LOL

drum roll plzzzz

After he discovered that secret, in his downswing he actually flung the club-head at the ball the same way he was doing in his "duck-hooky" days. But what changed???? I guess we'll never know coz none of the top golf instructors or PGA or LPGA professionals has been kind enough to tell us.. (myself included lol) or is it because nobody but our dear Mr.Hogan knows it? LOL

Before the secret pix

After the secret pix

Ben Hogan's the best and I'm glad nobody knows his secret. He's a really great human being. A true humble hero. He's my idol in golf and life. He worked really hard for it and he does not owe it to anyone to share! I'm happy his swing is still the golfer's holy grail. Cheers guys n have a lovely day 🙂

935C01A4-E47F-45BD-9949-12A1FD729026.gif.2b1a42a8fccef60ee281049496537bf8.gif

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

If you want to discuss his swing that’s cool. If you want to talk about ‘the secret’ you’re wasting your time here. 

On 9/19/2019 at 8:21 AM, Vinsk said:

If you want to discuss his swing that’s cool. If you want to talk about ‘the secret’ you’re wasting your time here. 

What i posted earlier was a direct response to the op's video on the little "twist" cock in that video sir.

I just wanted to point out that Hogan simply did not do any of of that nonsense is all. It is apparent in all his swing footage and photos (as kindly mentioned by other members in earlier response). So please pardon my strange sense of irony and humor in trying to make people realized that all of this knowledge and swing advice by so called Hogan expert on how "Hogan did this, Hogan did that" is pure nonsense.

And since the "lil twist" the video described was one of the most common misconception that it must be "the secret" or the way Hogan took his club away from the ball. I guess my sarcasm towards that misconception could be qualify as me trying in my own strange(or some might say arrogant) way of trying to discuss Mr.Hogan's swing by poking fun at the fact that so many people are so hell bent on finding the lil things Hogan did and thinking it will be the "'magic pill" or "the one move to better golf" while ignoring good basic fundamentals backed up by science and bio-mechanics taught by almost all qualified golf instructor nowadays. So my apologies. Cheers sir!

Edited by MSK_LPGA

1 hour ago, MSK_LPGA said:

What i posted earlier was a direct response to the op's video on the little "twist" cock in that video sir.

Fair enough. The OP was from 8 months ago. If you want to directly quote a post select ‘quote’ to quote the post or select specific text then ‘quote selected text.’ That way we can know what you’re referring to. Cheers. No worries.

• Like 1

In looking at the pictures, I think I see his secret.

White cap... white shoes.

You're all welcome.

Edited by bwdial
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

At the end of the day, who cares what his secret was.

It won't help your game because it was specific to his feels/priorities/faults.

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

On 9/17/2019 at 9:11 PM, MSK_LPGA said:

drum roll plzzzz

Before the secret pix

After the secret pix

Ben Hogan's the best and I'm glad nobody knows his secret. He's a really great human being. A true humble hero. He's my idol in golf and life. He worked really hard for it and he does not owe it to anyone to share! I'm happy his swing is still the golfer's holy grail. Cheers guys n have a lovely day 🙂

I don't about humble. At one Masters tournament he said of another golfer (might have been Arnie), "How the Hell did that guy ever get invited to the Masters?!" It might have been at that same Masters, or maybe at the 1960 US Open at Cherry Hills, he was paired with Jack Nicklaus the first two rounds. After the second round he was talking to the press and said, "I played two rounds with some fat kid who, if he understood anything at all about the game, would have made this place look silly!" 

Note: This thread is 1677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!