IGNORED

Windy Conditions - When to Swap Hybrids for Driving Irons

Note: This thread is 1928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have hybrids and driving irons.   Both with similar carry and the same loft.   Driving irons peak about 5y lower than hybrids.  What wind speed should I consider swapping out the hybrids for the driving irons. 

WITB

Cobra  Wishon 911 D FMAX 10.5 ,EQ-NX 4W, 7W, 4H/6H, 7-LW

Biomech Acculock Ace Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Themightyoz said:

I have hybrids and driving irons.   Both with similar carry and the same loft.   Driving irons peak about 5y lower than hybrids.  What wind speed should I consider swapping out the hybrids for the driving irons. 

How far do you hit the hybrid? I tend to duck hook my hybrid these days so wind isn’t an issue with it...

If I need that distance with a lower trajectory, I’d just use my 4i which goes as far as I used to hit my hybrid before the duck hook days...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

10 minutes ago, Themightyoz said:

I would use the club that you are most comfortable hitting.   A pro golfer can hit each club in a windy condition and keep them low.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

9 minutes ago, RayG said:

If the ball balloons and lands behind you, it might be time... 

I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read this!:-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

13 minutes ago, RayG said:

If the ball balloons and lands behind you, it might be time... 

Lol.  Good advice.   And yes I'm channeling my inner Bryson Dechambeau. 

WITB

• iacas changed the title to Windy Conditions - When to Swap Hybrids for Driving Irons

Most 37 handicaps I've ever met have real problems hitting a long iron consistently well, and have fewer problems with the hybrids.  If that's the case for you, if you're generally more consistent with a hybrid than the driving iron, I suggest you always hit the hybrid.  A well struck hybrid is pretty much always superior to a poorly struck driving iron.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, Themightyoz said:

What wind speed should I consider swapping out the hybrids for the driving irons. 

Since a driving iron is probably producing a lower loft, lower spin, it will not carry as far. I would think they would end up near the same distance under most windy conditions. A hybrid shot might be pushed around more from a side wind. Also, a hybrid might go much farther with a downwind shot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On a more serious note. Hybrids are way easier to hit than driving irons. If, as you indicated, are a 37- it's probably better to not kill the hybrid into the wind. An easier swing would impart less backspin. if you can learn to hit up slightly on the ball like a driver swing by teeing it a smidge higher, you might get a better launch, less spin and more rollout. If you are talking off the deck- that takes a more sweeping stroke instead of an iron type of swing hitting down on the ball. And off the deck, a 'driving' iron isn't the best choice no matter what the conditions.

If you are a fast learner and can hit(consistently) a low stinging 2 or 3 iron into the wind (or across the wind for that matter), then it would pay to do that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A 5 yard difference in height isn't going to make enough difference in the wind to make it worthwhile. Keep the more forgiving hybrids.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

The wind has no bearing on which bag of clubs I might play. 

If hitting into the wind, I will choke down on a lower lofted club, play the ball back in my stance, and put my abbreviated swing to good use. 

When hitting with the wind I might take a.more lofted club, and not change much else. Maybe hit a higher shot so the wind might be of more help to me. 

Cross winds, I take more, or less club, aim more left, or right, make my normal swing, and let the wind move the ball towards the cup. 

That's the problem with the wind. It blows the same direction, no matter which direction the fairway is pointing. Some fairways might offer wind breaks, while others won't. Because of these situations, I don't worry about which bag of clubs to use. 

In windy conditions, depending on wind speed, the golfer is better off just being patient, take what ever the wind will allow the golfer to get away with.  Just accept the end score will be higher. 

On another note, I played in high winds the other day. Getting from the tee to the green was not much of an issue. What killed me was the ground wind blowing my putts off line. It didn't matter what type of clubs were in my bag once I was on the green. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

(edited)

Just figured out my hitting averages for my best 20 rounds out of 46. We've come a long way but we have a long way to go. Good gaps though.  Thanks for the advice.  And yes I am a 37 right now but hoping to get that down this year since I have finally settled into a swing that I can repeat.  I've been swing shopping for a while but after reading Adam Youngs book and choosing a coach that works well for me I'm hoping I can get better this year.

Driver 180Y
2I 168 
4I 156
5I 141
6I 131 
7I 118, 
8I 97 
9I 101 
PW 68, 
52W 80 
56W 68, 
60W 42

Edited by Themightyoz

WITB

Note: This thread is 1928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!