IGNORED

Adding Sims to my Existing Bar/Restaurant

Vader
Note: This thread is 1892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking to add golf sims in a space next to my bar and restaurant that has been open for 7 years. Quite a few people have stated that 30-50k per simulator is absolutely not necessary and in fact a good way to outspend the possibilities of making it work. What in your opinion is the best simulators for a business idea like mine with an already profitable restaurant and bar? Is it Trugolf ($22,000 each) or the higher priced ones like HD or Aboutgolf. Or should I build them with pieces available and buy the screen, projector, and such separately and have a local do the structure build? 

• iacas changed the title to Adding Sims to my Existing Bar/Restaurant

I can't say I've heard much of or used the simulators you mention, but I have used a Foresight GC2 simulator before and it was definitely top notch. Their launch monitors are cream of the crop (beat only by Trackman, really, and Trackman costs $19,000-25,000 for the monitor alone), and their software has quality to match in my experience. Prices for the launch monitor start at $6,500, and from there what you'd need to purchase is just the projector, the screen, the mat, the software, and a computer to run it on.

Unfortunately I don't know what the final pricing looks like after installation and all components (looks like you need a quote from Foresight Sports for that), but it looks like a full golf setup for the impact screen and enclosure would run you $700-1400 from Carl's Place depending on options. A high end mat like a TrueStrike will cost you $1,300-1,400, with a solid computer with decent graphics and processor costing ~$1,000-1,500 depending on the specs if you put together a desktop rig yourself (a good idea, they're easy to assemble and much cheaper that way).

All told it looks like you'd be in for a total of $9,500-10,800 before buying the software and correct cables from Foresight. Add $6,000 if you want to get the HMT add on for the GC2 to provide clubhead data as well to attract serious golfers who want to practice and improve their swing using data like club path, impact location, loft, and face angle (or add $8,500 if you want the absolute best of the best with their GCQuad with the same clubhead monitoring). A thread from back in 2015 online showed that Foresight priced their FSX simulator software at $2,200, and their 2018 upgrade shows a price of $750 on their website so it's safe to assume the software would cost in the neighborhood of $3,000 if you're buying from Foresight.

This would put the total cost in the neighborhood of $12,500-13,800 all-in for a high quality setup with no clubhead data, or $18,500-27,000 if you want clubhead data (depending on if you went with GC2 + HCT or GCQuad), not counting installation of course. 

To directly answer your question:

If I were in your shoes I'd piece together a full simulator using a GC2 rather than purchasing the systems you mention, since they'll save on cost and you get a well-known and respected launch monitor to use with it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with @Pretzel. I would piece it together and save the money. As long as it is fairly accurate, you'll be fine. It doesn't hurt to check ebay either. A friend of mine bought one for like 8k total from a retired cruise ship. I don't recall the brand but it had the sensors by the screen instead of a launch monitor. It was very high end and came with the walls, screen, software, mat, etc...All he had to do was go pick it up and assemble.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I think that this is a client and use question. 

If you are making an entertainment system then make it nice a showy but don't worry about the simulator accuracy. 

If it is a simulator for Golfers then worry about the accuracy and consider a putting solution and make it the highest quality.

Just my thoughts.

10 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I can't say I've heard much of or used the simulators you mention, but I have used a Foresight GC2 simulator before and it was definitely top notch. Their launch monitors are cream of the crop (beat only by Trackman, really, and Trackman costs $19,000-25,000 for the monitor alone), and their software has quality to match in my experience. Prices for the launch monitor start at $6,500, and from there what you'd need to purchase is just the projector, the screen, the mat, the software, and a computer to run it on.

Unfortunately I don't know what the final pricing looks like after installation and all components (looks like you need a quote from Foresight Sports for that), but it looks like a full golf setup for the impact screen and enclosure would run you $700-1400 from Carl's Place depending on options. A high end mat like a TrueStrike will cost you $1,300-1,400, with a solid computer with decent graphics and processor costing ~$1,000-1,500 depending on the specs if you put together a desktop rig yourself (a good idea, they're easy to assemble and much cheaper that way).

All told it looks like you'd be in for a total of $9,500-10,800 before buying the software and correct cables from Foresight. Add $6,000 if you want to get the HMT add on for the GC2 to provide clubhead data as well to attract serious golfers who want to practice and improve their swing using data like club path, impact location, loft, and face angle (or add $8,500 if you want the absolute best of the best with their GCQuad with the same clubhead monitoring). A thread from back in 2015 online showed that Foresight priced their FSX simulator software at $2,200, and their 2018 upgrade shows a price of $750 on their website so it's safe to assume the software would cost in the neighborhood of $3,000 if you're buying from Foresight.

This would put the total cost in the neighborhood of $12,500-13,800 all-in for a high quality setup with no clubhead data, or $18,500-27,000 if you want clubhead data (depending on if you went with GC2 + HCT or GCQuad), not counting installation of course. 

To directly answer your question:

If I were in your shoes I'd piece together a full simulator using a GC2 rather than purchasing the systems you mention, since they'll save on cost and you get a well-known and respected launch monitor to use with it.

What happens when you get a lefty in the group? They have to move the unit over for every shot?

(edited)
39 minutes ago, criley4way said:

If you are making an entertainment system then make it nice a showy but don't worry about the simulator accuracy. 

Please be careful here. If you are going to get a golf simulator, get one that is accurate. We got a 10yr old AboutGolf sim that runs windows xp. Sure, its fun enough but the inaccuracies drive me crazy and we can’t sell the use of it because people hate that it’s inaccurate. We can’t upgrade the system without paying another $10,000 or more.

Yes, the ones that use our sim are golfers, but even the non/very occasional golfers who gave it a go notice that its not accurate and didn’t use it again.

If I had a choice to start over and spend a little more, I’d go with the Foresight. You can get a brand new system, cage, mat, all courses, teaching software for $25,000 or so. I also looked at a flightscope attached w e6 simulation. Similar enough pricing but foresight is meant as a sim and flightscope is a launch monitor. Slightly different packages was why I’d prefer foresight.

There are more affordable launch monitors that calculate some stuff based on measurements and can be hooked up with e6 simulation.

18 minutes ago, drmevo said:

What happens when you get a lefty in the group? They have to move the unit over for every shot?

Unless you want to spend quite a bit more that has the radar above you or Multidirectional unit without a piece on ground (like aboutgolf or TruGolf), yes. But its pretty simple to move. The new foresight is an all inclusive package, instead of having an extra attachment to measure ball speed.

@Vader, if you have a higher end restaurant/bar, I’d look into the higher end sims that dont have a floor measuring unit.  If its a middle of the road business, go with foresight or flightscope. At least that would be my recommendation. People who are spending decent money at a decent place would spend money for a decent system. 

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

51 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Unless you want to spend quite a bit more that has the radar above you or Multidirectional unit without a piece on ground (like aboutgolf or TruGolf), yes. But its pretty simple to move. The new foresight is an all inclusive package, instead of having an extra attachment to measure ball speed.

Yeah I’m just thinking about scenarios where you’re playing as a foursome on a time limit, you’re going to be moving it quite a bit and that will eat into your time. Plus cable wear and tear from constant moving, potential tripping hazard, etc. if I’m paying decent money to play I wouldn’t want to have to deal with that. 

Edited by drmevo

2 hours ago, criley4way said:

I think that this is a client and use question. 

If it is a simulator for Golfers then worry about the accuracy and consider a putting solution and make it the highest quality.

Just my thoughts.

True, but even as an entertainment system, your real golfers will want accuracy. Not to mention if you have leagues that will be playing weekly. I think some big business would be having league play on them, especially in the winter. I would go for accuracy regardless.

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

If the OP can find one on ebay like I mentioned, he may luck out and get a great deal on one with the sensors. We were on a simulator last weekend that was probably 50k....you still had to change between left and right handed players. It would be quicker than moving a launch monitor device, but still changes had to be made.

Bryan A

What is the target demographic? Are you looking to provide fitting level information or are you just looking to have course sims so anybody can get together and play some virtual golf courses? If you are looking to serve the super technical golfer, the the GC2 or similar would be OK. If your target market is someone who just wants to play a virtual golf course then something like SkyTrak which offers a yearly subscription to several virtual golf courses could be the better option. The tracking data is less accurate, but if the target market is not looking for super specific data and only wants to play a few hold of golf at their favorite bar/restaurant, then the SkyTrak at $2k is the better option. 

Edited by Sean_D

32 minutes ago, Sean_D said:

The tracking data is less accurate, but if the target market is not looking for super specific data and only wants to play a few hold of golf at their favorite bar/restaurant, then the SkyTrak at $2k is the better option. 

A buddy of mine has SkyTrak and goes to the same fitter I do which has Trackman. He says the SkyTrak is within a couple of yards and few mph of the trackman, so they are very accurate.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

Uneekor was at the PGA show this year and showed off a new simulator that looks really interesting and would solve the righty/lefty problem since it's mounted overhead. I think they said it's around $6K. I've never heard of it before so I'm not sure how good it is.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Grass Destruction said:

Uneekor was at the PGA show this year and showed off a new simulator that looks really interesting and would solve the righty/lefty problem since it's mounted overhead. I think they said it's around $6K. I've never heard of it before so I'm not sure how good it is.

Man, that looks like a great deal, in my opinion!

Bryan A

Here in Johnson County Kansas, there is a lot of money. My town, Olathe has money, but not quite the elite money of other towns inthe county. I would think we could get some 7 figure people in here that live 3-5 miles away in town. But I think because there is nothing like it within 3 hours, we could cater to all sorts of people. Leagues, amateurs that are afraid of real golf, buddies that want to drink as much as golf, there are a ton of high schools within 30 minutes, and just the "Top Golf" type people (pure entertainment), and there are a ton of companies that do team building all over here. To me, it's all about marketing correctly. 

I shoot in high 70's to mid 80's and love real golf, but after playing 18 on a TruGolf sim, I was hooked. The exit feeling I got was just insane and just like leaving the real course.  I wanted that 3 wood on 14 back, and that approach I duffed back. And I was a bit tired too.  

I want a overhead camera system for many reasons. Accuracy, no theft like a Skytrack, aesthetics, stability, and left/right capabilities. And my place would not be just a bar/restaurant for golf lovers because it would be separated by a foot thick brick wall. I think this is very important to keep my place as more than just a golf bar.  

I really want to thank all of you for taking time out of your day to chime in. It is invaluable info. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/8/2019 at 12:28 PM, criley4way said:

Exactly. After a beer or two the patrons are using the simulator for entertainment, not to hone their game.

Note: This thread is 1892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!