Paul Azinger  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How is Paul Azinger doing as the lead color commentator for NBC?

• 1 Star - Abominably Atrocious
    • 2 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 5 Stars - Absolutely Awesome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2020 at 04:59 AM

13 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm not a fan, but he's not bad enough that I'd link my entire online identity to Zinger's suckiness.

It’s like having the username NoBrusselSprouts in a food forum. 😜

I just tune him out.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wonder how many times Azinger said, ‘release.’?

• Administrator

Far too often he says what’s plainly visible on the screen.

• ”Oh that ball is curving left…”
  • ”That one’s got to sit!”
  • etc.

(edited)

Azinger said this morning that J.B. Holmes was "literally getting the train back on the tracks". GEEEEZ. If ever there was an example of abuse of the word "literally", that was it.

Edited by Shorty
  • Funny 1

On 3/15/2021 at 7:01 AM, Vinsk said:

I wonder how many times Azinger said, ‘release.’?

Not as often as Faldo does.  “And there’s the release.”

I don’t pay much attention to them for most of the broadcast. Otherwise I’d find myself annoyed at terms like “lofted metal.”

5 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Not as often as Faldo does.  “And there’s the release.”

I don’t pay much attention to them for most of the broadcast. Otherwise I’d find myself annoyed at terms like “lofted metal.”

Yeah, "lofted metal". The other annoying one for me is, "less than driver".

21 minutes ago, Zippo said:

The other annoying one for me is, "less than driver".

I fail to see how this is annoying. It is factually correct. Also, sometimes it is difficult to determine what exactly the club the golfer is hitting. The crew don’t want to say it’s a 3w when it might be a 2w, 5w, 7w, or even a hybrid. “Less than driver” is a quick and accurate phrase. Now, if you want to argue that the announcers should be quiet more often, I’m on board, but I have no problem with the phrase you brought up. 

12 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I fail to see how this is annoying. It is factually correct. Also, sometimes it is difficult to determine what exactly the club the golfer is hitting. The crew don’t want to say it’s a 3w when it might be a 2w, 5w, 7w, or even a hybrid. “Less than driver” is a quick and accurate phrase. Now, if you want to argue that the announcers should be quiet more often, I’m on board, but I have no problem with the phrase you brought up. 

Very true and I considered that argument myself the first 30 or 40 times I heard the term from him but I would also argue that every club, other than driver (and putter?), could be construed as "less than driver". To me, it's the same as saying "lofted metal". It imparts no useful info.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Zippo said:

every club, other than driver (and putter?), could be construed as "less than driver".

That's the point though. They don't always know what they're teeing off with. It beats saying something like, "some kind of metal wood or hybrid club" each time. If they tee off with an iron, they usually say so; it's usually only when it's a fairway wood or hybrid club do they say "less than driver."

Edited by ncates00