iacas
Note:Β This thread is 1101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Paul Azinger  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How is Paul Azinger doing as the lead color commentator for NBC?

• 1 Star - Abominably Atrocious
    • 2 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 5 Stars - Absolutely Awesome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2020 at 04:59 AM

• Administrator

How do you think Paul Azinger is doing so far? You can change your votes at any time, but I'm going to close the poll at the end of 2019.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I gave him 3 so far. He’s been kind of in the background for the most part. He did give some insight in a couple of situations last weekend, but he also had long stretches of being dull. The tournament was kind of dull too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

He's fine, nothing great thus far. Doesn't have the experience of Miller, or the humor of the other standouts.Β  Time will tell, he seems like a good guy with an interesting (yeah, not perfect) personality so I think he'll grow to be a very good commentator.

I give him a "1."Β  I like Paul, but he's a dull golf analyst.Β  To be honest, my opinion of him was formed when he was on Fox and I was very disappointed in him.Β  I wish Justin Leonard had gotten the job.Β  He has a smile in his voice when he's commentating.Β  There's no joy in Paul's voice and he gives you one platitude after another.Β  Think of Ben Wright, think of Ken Venturi, think of Johnny Miller.Β  Think of Gary or Feherty.Β  Paul suffers horribly in comparison.Β  Paul was always an exciting player to watch, that's for sure.Β  I wish he could bring some of that excitement to his new job.Β  Keep in mind that he was with Fox and this is not his first time doing this, so I don't know how much better he'll get.Β Β 

Β 

He’s doing good. He’s no Johnny and that’s gotta be tough for him with the shoes he has to fill, but overall, he seems to have good chemistry with Hicks and the guys, which is the most important thing. I think he needs to be a little more critical like Miller was, but hopefully that comes with time.Β 

Edited by ChrisP

I thin he is doing fine. I gave him 3 stars for now. He is just getting started in this new role, and I imagine he will get better with time. I think people are way too hard on sports commentators to begin with.Β 

I gave him 4 stars. I think he needs a little more time to get in the groove. I really liked Johnny so I don't know if Azinger will ever be that good but hopefully. I agree with the above that he should try and be a little more critical but maybe that's just not his style.Β 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white)Β 

• 3 months later...

What Paul Azinger clearly doesn't understand is that the public DOES NOT want toΒ hear 19th hole/Country Club barfly lingo on theΒ broadcast. The viewing experience is best when the announcers tell the story-say what we're thinking as viewers or give insight and deeper knowledge to the average viewer from whichΒ they/we could learn from.. WHAT THE BROADCAST IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE IS A ballbreakers session in front of Satriales.

Β 

Β 

Gave him a 2. He's a very good schill for the players.Β 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Gave him a 3, not much different than others.Β  Love it when he states opinions one week and then changes it 3 weeks later

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;Β  917F2 15*;Β  818H1 19*;Β  716 AP2 4-P;Β  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

Β  :footjoy:Β  :oakley:Β 

I enjoyed watching Paul play back in the day but I gave him a 3. He looks to me like he's having a lot of trouble keeping some upper dentures in place. Very disconcerting watching him. Listening to him is fine, for me.

Azinger is the master of the obvious: "These two [Woodand and Rose] could get hot and leave the field behind, or get in trouble and let a lot of people back in." Well, duh.

"Gary Woodland needs to understand that the other golfers put their pants on one leg at a time." What??!!

I don't know how Azinger got elevated so fast. His commentary on the closing holes of the 2018 U.S. Women's Open should have disqualified him for life.

Along with Joe Buck, they are inanity to the fourth power.

Β 

Β 

Β 

7 hours ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

Azinger is the master of the obvious: "These two [Woodand and Rose] could get hot and leave the field behind, or get in trouble and let a lot of people back in." Well, duh.

"Gary Woodland needs to understand that the other golfers put their pants on one leg at a time." What??!!

I don't know how Azinger got elevated so fast. His commentary on the closing holes of the 2018 U.S. Women's Open should have disqualified him for life.

Along with Joe Buck, they are inanity to the fourth power.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Totally agree.Β  He comes out with one platitude after another, and sometimes it's cringeworthy.Β 

• 1 month later...

Azinger is embarrassingly bad. He's that fourth guy you hate to see walking up to the tee when you're standing there with two of your friends: yeah, he can play, and you have to let him join up - but he's ornery, and negative and downright mean-spirited. For example, the way he fixated - as in, became offensively obsessed - with one of Fleetwood's approach shots on today's (Sunday) back nine that went ended up in the rough next to the green. This apparently drove Azinger crazy, since he interpreted it as a deliberate decision, or lack thereof, on the part of Fleetwood and his caddy. All of this from the dry comfort and clueless safety of his announcer's booth. I have trouble leaving the sound on at all when Azinger is blabbing away because every other statement out of his mouth is refutable. Just a terrible downer of a guy to have calling the shots, and severely lacking in any insight those of us who love the game might enjoy hearing.

Β Β  I sure hope the powers-that-be on the network catch on soon, and let him go back to complaining in private...

I’ve been on the sidelines with Zinger and cautiously optimistic that he could be serviceable once he gets some reps under his belt....but he was pretty bad this week.Β 

Note:Β This thread is 1101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!