IGNORED

$5M or 5 Years in Jail… For a Hole in One? Hypothetical Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 1727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

$5M vs. 5 Years in Jail Bet  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take the bet proposed in the first post?

• Yes
    • No

13 hours ago, Lihu said:

Oh, I just assumed his stats were better at this distance on this hole than the average tour player, which is why he attempted it. His swing was pretty sweet looking with that iron... 😊

Even if he was better than average, the most accurate player on the PGA Tour from 150-175 yards (with a fairway lie) is Danny Willet, and his average proximity to the hole is still 22 feet 5 inches. The median tour pro has an average proximity from the same distance of 28 feet 4 inches.

pgatour_fb.jpg

Strokes Gained | Greens in Regulation | Accuracy from Fairway | Accuracy from Rough | Scoring | Going for it | HoleOuts, Other

Pros are insanely good, but not quite good enough to average a yard away from that distance because golf is such a difficult game. It will be interesting to see the results if the European Tour continues to have these hole in one challenge videos.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/28/2019 at 11:05 PM, Pretzel said:

Even if he was better than average, the most accurate player on the PGA Tour from 150-175 yards (with a fairway lie) is Danny Willet, and his average proximity to the hole is still 22 feet 5 inches. The median tour pro has an average proximity from the same distance of 28 feet 4 inches.

pgatour_fb.jpg

Strokes Gained | Greens in Regulation | Accuracy from Fairway | Accuracy from Rough | Scoring |...

Pros are insanely good, but not quite good enough to average a yard away from that distance because golf is such a difficult game. It will be interesting to see the results if the European Tour continues to have these hole in one challenge videos.

Sure, but most of us are better than our fairway stats when making the same shot over and over again. I suppose he’s a bit wider than a yard of course, but I’m thinking a typical or expected shot for him is still quite a bit better than his official stat.

Isn’t Andy Sullivan on the European tour? At least that’s what it stated in the video?

Anyway, I did manage getting a ball into the 165 yard hole last month according to one of my range-rat-mates, but would still not take that bet... 🤪

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 4/26/2019 at 4:52 PM, iacas said:

Yeah… it’s 250 a day for 30 days.

I think 250/30 is better than 500/15. You’d get tired after that many balls. 🙂

I agree that getting tired would be a factor. Additionally, adding to the argument against me, over 6 hours the weather conditions could very easily change enough that the "pin in the same place make small adjustments to get to it" would be nullified. And if you go an hour on, 30 minutes off... to get the 500 balls... fine, 250 x 30 it is.

Either way, I suck, I'm not taking the bet.

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / Orlimar 3W & 4H (circa 2012) / Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) / Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60* / Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

7 hours ago, Chasing_Bogeys said:

I agree that getting tired would be a factor. Additionally, adding to the argument against me, over 6 hours the weather conditions could very easily change enough that the "pin in the same place make small adjustments to get to it" would be nullified. And if you go an hour on, 30 minutes off... to get the 500 balls... fine, 250 x 30 it is.

If it’s 75 yards away, and I had your approached from that distance, I’d take it! 😂

• Like 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

7 hours ago, Chasing_Bogeys said:

If it’s 75 yards away, and I had your approached from that distance, I’d take it! 😂

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I would take this all day and I haven't been within 3 feet of a hole in one. Why?. I would never have another opportunity to win 5 million realistically. Additional follow up scenario. After the 5 years does your life magically re-start where you left off; still have your job, home, wife, kids? 

1 hour ago, Aquaguru said:

I would take this all day and I haven't been within 3 feet of a hole in one. Why?. I would never have another opportunity to win 5 million realistically. Additional follow up scenario. After the 5 years does your life magically re-start where you left off; still have your job, home, wife, kids? 

Cuz everyone who goes to prison comes back to the same job, the mortgage pays itself for 5 years, and wifey doesn’t mind dealing with the rugrats by herself because you rolled the dice, and lost...

Sure...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

43 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Cuz everyone who goes to prison comes back to the same job, the mortgage pays itself for 5 years, and wifey doesn’t mind dealing with the rugrats by herself because you rolled the dice, and lost...

Sure...

It was a hypothetical question to begin with. It may change someone’s mind

On 5/1/2019 at 3:52 PM, Lihu said:

I hit 3 good shots that day. One of which was preceded by a 7 iron that was 75 yards off line. I think you are WAY overestimating my abilities. 🙂

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / Orlimar 3W & 4H (circa 2012) / Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) / Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60* / Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

8 hours ago, Chasing_Bogeys said:

I hit 3 good shots that day. One of which was preceded by a 7 iron that was 75 yards off line. I think you are WAY overestimating my abilities. 🙂

As I said before, that one approach you made was “just like watching a video game” 😂

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 2 months later...

When I first saw this thread my answer was an unequivocal, emphatic NO!  After hitting a large bucket on the range with my mid- and short irons today...my answer is an unequivocal, emphatic HELL NO. 😔

My old but trusty bag is filled with clubs I built...Integra SoooLong 450 10.5°, Jackaroo II 13* 16* 23*  hybrids, Dynacraft irons and wedges...plus a sweet Tad Moore Peach putter.

Please check out my sports card/memorabilia blog: The Five Tool Collector

Only takjng the bet if the jail has a golf course I get to play every day if I don't make it.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

My 8 iron goes between 140-150 yards.  Alex Noren is currently the 200th ranked PGA tour member in average distance to the pin from 125-150 yards at 27' 9".  I'm certainly not that good, but it gives me an idea for where I'm at and with several thousand swings a measure to the ceiling of capability.

On top of that, the arguments about how people haven't gotten a hole in one in their careers (I haven't) doesn't necessarily pertain to the argument as some hole in ones are from shorter distance, or some people don't play par 3s at that distance regularly (I don't).  I feel like an 8 iron is sufficiently short enough to not have too big of a dispersion so as to give anybody with a good swing a reasonable shot at a hole in one.

The video with Andy Sullivan was under much tougher conditions than this scenario, so I would expect an average pro to complete this within a day or two of starting.  Giving myself 30 days seems like a reasonable time frame to make one in the hole.  

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Note: This thread is 1727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!