IGNORED

I Can't Stand Paul Azinger

Daryl

Wanted to see if anyone feels the same way I do.  I think Azinger lacks charisma and has a nasally, annoying voice.  His fundamental tone is one of sarcasm that isn't redeemed by any wit or original insight into the game.

He grates on me to the point where I will being passing on some NBC telecasts this year.  I hate to mute the programs, because I really like rest of the NBC team. 

Here's my list of who should have replaced Miller as lead color analyst:

Peter Jacobson

Roger Maltbie

Notah Begah

David Feherty

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Daryl said:

Wanted to see if anyone feels the same way I do.  I think Azinger lacks charisma and has a nasally, annoying voice.  His fundamental tone is one of sarcasm that isn't redeemed by any wit or original insight into the game.

He grates on me to the point where I will being passing on some NBC telecasts this year.  I hate to mute the programs, because I really like rest of the NBC team. 

Peter Jacobson

Roger Maltbie

Notah Begah

David Feherty

He's pretty new to the job. Give him some time.

Roger Maltbie? Notah? Peter Jacobson? No thank you.

Feherty? Maybe, but he's best in a tower or walking with some groups.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Daryl said:

Peter Jacobson

Roger Maltbie

Notah Begah

David Feherty

Too soon for me yet with Azinger. But Jacobsen? Wow. I mean it’s your opinion of course. But goodness his humor is that of a youth Christian Camp director, awful music and annoys me like that 7 year old who wants to show you his magic trick over and over.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

As someone who wasn't a big Miller fan, it's nice to have a different personality with Zinger. Doubt anyone could please everyone - guess time will tell.  

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

Wow Daryl, I totally agree and have said as much in other posts.  And you're so right about his annoying voice.  And he's boring.  Did you see him with Jack today?  Nothing.

I see we're in the minority here.  Nevertheless I'm glad I'm not imagining Paul's weak style.

No, Jack was boring.  

He didn't offer anything on the current action that they were watching. I'm sure it was driving the production crew nuts. 

• Upvote 2

I missed the Jack interview.  Turned the sound off.  I don't need to evaluate Azinger further.  He's a known quantity after years on Fox broadcasts.

Listen, this is a really tough job.  You have to have a great announcing voice and be able to consistently offer original insights to the tournaments.  But the main thing is you have to come across as somebody we would like to hang out with i.e. the likability factor.  Azinger is weak on all three fronts and I can't imagine who made the decision to put him in there when you have a bunch of guys on the team already who clearly better qualified.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Herkimer said:

I see we're in the minority here.

Huh???

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
1 hour ago, jakeecsj said:

I'd rather hang with Swinger then Jim Nance.

How about Jim Nantz?

He seems so much cooler than this "Nance" character. Heck, Nantz calls the Super Bowl and the Masters!

P.S. Jim Nantz isn't the color commentator. He's the play by play guy.

• Like 1

I thought Azinger was very bad his first day taking over. He has seemed to improve each week.

My biggest issue this week (Honda) was the broadcast not showing Rickie or Brooks play the 72nd hole....not his fault.

Having a legend like Johnny Miller or Nick Faldo critique the players means more to the average golf fan/viewer IMO.

However, I felt he offered better insight this week. One Ex “once you get in this position and get those cheers-you crave it for the rest of your life” The insight into how tour players think and feel was an added element.

I think he’s growing into his job. I’ll give him more time to keep improving before I get too critical.

Been a fan of Paul Azinger ever since he gave the eulogy for Payne Stewart. He's new, but so far I think he's doing a decent job. You can't make everyone happy, and some people seem to live to find fault. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Speaking of coverage, I found it mildly interesting that there was almost no coverage of the winner until his final hole or two. I get that the networks go with the big names, but c'mon, there was plenty of time.

Azinger did a fine job.  I find him to be better than most. He's just a regular dude who made a fantastic living playing golf and knows far more about it than a regular joe.  Since none of us really know him, at all, any negative perceptions are coming from within our own selves.  

Edited by 3jacker

A lot of people felt the same way about Miller in his first year. He was hated! Not just by the viewing public, but by the Tour pros! They felt he was arrogant, condescending and hyper-critical. Usually due to misunderstandings. 

Miller himself described a situation where, as a guy was setting up for a shot, he said, "This is the kind of shot that can cause guys to choke." The player made a fine shot and Miller said so. Later in the season the player cornered Miller because someone told him Miller called him a choker. Miller thought the guy was going to punch him! The guy eventually saw the actual clip and apologized, but Miller was ready to quit at the end of the season. 

The NBC talked him in off the ledge, asking him to try it for one more year. And we saw what happened, one hell of a second career. So let's let Zinger settle in at least. He's new to the job.

I will say I still miss Ken Venturi.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

A lot of people felt the same way about Miller in his first year. He was hated! Not just by the viewing public, but by the Tour pros! They felt he was arrogant, condescending and hyper-critical. Usually due to misunderstandings. 

Miller himself described a situation where, as a guy was setting up for a shot, he said, "This is the kind of shot that can cause guys to choke." The player made a fine shot and Miller said so. Later in the season the player cornered Miller because someone told him Miller called him a choker. Miller thought the guy was going to punch him! The guy eventually saw the actual clip and apologized, but Miller was ready to quit at the end of the season. 

The NBC talked him in off the ledge, asking him to try it for one more year. And we saw what happened, one hell of a second career. So let's let Zinger settle in at least. He's new to the job.

I will say I still miss Ken Venturi.

Personally, I liked Miller from the get-go. 

I question how much Azinger can improve.  He did this same job for ABC and ESPN from 2005 to 2015.  Maybe he didn't get alot of airtime because they didn't have rights to many tournaments, but that's still way more experience than Johnny Miller had.

Yes, Venturi and Nance were probably the best combo we'll ever see.  I think we'll see Mickelson in the booth eventually.  He's a talker and a real people magnet, if you've ever followed him around a course.

9 minutes ago, Daryl said:

Yes, Venturi and Nance

‘Nantz’ was much better imo.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge