GAA

1952 to 1972 MacGregor Forged Iron Sets

30 posts / 6793 viewsLast Reply

I have a similar set of MacGregors Jack Nicklaus autograph 809, look like the 812 maybe a different year, got hem two winters ago off ebay, the 7 has a rock nick and they have bag rattle but the faces are good and I got them to play, the MacGregor grips were gorgeous but I couldn't save them , so they got Tacki Mac tour wrap , I learned on 1954 MacGregor Ben Hogan Bantams , these fit nice with my 72 Button Backs & Hogan White Cameos, if anyone knows what year I'm all ears,MacGregor had that broaching machine that let them do different models from the same forging ,instead of needing different dies, so they changed up a lot,  taking them out in the morning.

MacGregor Jack Nicklaus 809 back.JPG

MacGregor Jack Nicklaus 809 face.JPG

Edited by bad back

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

My Dad passed onto me his set of 1964 MacGregor Tourneys.  Beautiful irons, especially with their black faces and the diamond shaped design on either side of the clubface.  Used them for years when I was starting out... they are now stored in the basement.  I have shown them to my young son with reverence.

9 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

My Dad passed onto me his set of 1964 MacGregor Tourneys.  Beautiful irons, especially with their black faces and the diamond shaped design on either side of the clubface.  Used them for years when I was starting out... they are now stored in the basement.  I have shown them to my young son with reverence.

That's what I started golf with years ago. Amazing that I could even hit them back then! Best, -Marv

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

That's what I started golf with years ago. Amazing that I could even hit them back then! Best, -Marv

macgregor iron.jpg

Can you tell me anything about the Macgregor Irons. I have the 2-SW. I was told they were prototypes for their 1st Nicklaus clubs. The shafts are Tourney Taper Flex 2 SS.

20190813_215351.jpg

@GAA

New to the forum and hoping you can help. I will apologize in advance for any breaches in protocol, but I think I have the right thread. I picked these up at a garage sale and can't seem to find what model they might be. There are no markings on the head other than the red logo on the back and the brand. Help Please?

IMG_4174.jpg

IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_4177.jpg

6 hours ago, cowhidecovers said:

I have a set of MacGregor XW Registered irons and woods with matching serial numbers in fair condition.  Can you give me any info on these such as manufacture date and value? 

Welcome to the Sand Trap. Most of us would do Google searches for this. I am not aware of a vintage golf club site, but there may be one.

7 hours ago, cowhidecovers said:

I have a set of MacGregor XW Registered irons and woods with matching serial numbers in fair condition.  Can you give me any info on these such as manufacture date and value? 

Search these on eBay and often times it will lead you to a site that deals in vintage clubs.

On 3/13/2019 at 2:46 PM, GAA said:

I happen to know more than I should about MacGregor forged irons of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's.

I probably own 18 sets of these vintage beauties.

If you have questions about this era of golf,  I may be able to help get some answers.

I have studied and still use as a reference the Jim Kaplan MacGregor and Wilson golf history catalogs.

Hello. I am a fan of anything and everything old that man has created. What can you tell me about this set of 2-10 Macgregor blades I just picked up? 

macgregor Tourney 2.JPG

Macgregor Tourney1.JPG

I'm interested in assembling a set from my birth year, 1970. Could you point me in the direction of a resource that would help me identify my options for MacGregor forged models?

Thanks for any help you can provide!