IGNORED

Making Practice More Relevant to Playing?

Note: This thread is 1838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, Patch said:

Using an abbreviated pre-shot routine between driving range shots works pretty well.

That's not quite what I was getting at.  I suppose it's a start.  I'm talking about having a decent amount of time between shots to somewhat simulate what you'd do on the course.  Granted, that makes practice sessions/playing on the sim much longer, but I think it gets you used to having cool down time and having to hit a shot.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

42 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

makes practice sessions/playing on the sim much longer, but I think it gets you used to having cool down time

Yeah, I agree and for me the best way to add that time/cool-down element is to play with others on the sim (we do that in winter). Basically playing 18 holes in a group.

Edited by Nave
  • Like 1

Nave

I play a game on the range with my last 18 balls. Pick a random club, a target, and a draw/fade/straightish. I go through a full shot routine for each, try to visualize a real shot somewhere on a real course, then I rate each shot and keep a running tally:

-1 solid ball contact, correct shape, lands excitingly close to target (aka the Tiger stare down)]

0 decent ball contact, correct shape, not exciting but not bad

+1 everything else, bad ball contact, way off target

Keeps things fun. I believe it helps me to sort of solidify what I've just worked on in something that sort of more resembles what I'd do on the course.

Edited by jshots
  • Like 1

:whistle:

As crazy as this sounds it's effective.   I bring a Score card with me and play those holes as I would play a normal round.   I also don't rush the shots either.  Giving myself time between each shots.   I'll also video each shots so I can add a little pressure as if someone is watching or playing along with me.

I'll even add the video to my YT channel or FB page... It makes for a fun practice.    I just skip the putting.      It really helps me.     Even though you'll look a little out there to the rest at the range.

hope it helps

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 11:02 PM, ncates00 said:

This is pretty good.  I would also add in that the TIME factor is huge.  It's easy to bang balls in machine gun mode on the simulator or on the range.  I think delaying each and every shot for several minutes to allow your body to go "cold" is a huge part of it.  You're going to hit great golf shots while you're warm and in a groove.  On the golf course, to me, the biggest difference is the fact that you have a lot of time between shots to go cold and you also as seen above, have variable conditions and lies.  The platform thingy above is pretty awesome.  TIME between shots is also a big deal or at least it is for me.  Staying warm and in a groove on a simulator makes you think you're better than you are.  You have the advantage of short term repetition and it's far too easy to "feel" the movements.  Over a course of 18 holes and walking or even riding to your ball, you don't have that luxury.

I agree. It takes me about an hour and a half to hit a small bucket of about 50 balls. And this is still much faster than a round of golf would take. 

• Like 1

I try my best at each practice round with the following:

Sit after every few shots of a minute or two.  Slows me down so that I am not just auto hitting shot after shot.

The first half of a practice round I concentrate on fixing tings that need fixing, I re check everything imaginable, I bring out sticks, I slow down all aspects.

The end of the practice is more trying tout it together.  I don't take a lot of time for address, one practice swing and the shot, for that is what I do in a match.

As well, I do not try to go back into practice mode.  A bad shot is a bad shot; forget it and get on with it.

I save corrections for next time on the range.

The mind set on the range and playing a round are different; I practice the mindsets as well as the mechanics.  So far the results have been good for both.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Note: This thread is 1838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!