IGNORED

Repairing Ball Marks

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 3749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

That's great information. Thank you very much. I have to admit I did not know the proper way of repairing my ball marks (the few I actually make). I'll be sure to pass this on to the people I play with.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the people at your course repair their marks! I was out yesterday and found at least 10 ball marks on every green. That left me some work to do.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5Β° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5Β°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20Β° IronwoodΒ 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51Β° MP-T Black Nickel ;Β 56Β° Vokey Spin MilledΒ 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic GripΒ 

Ball: Pro V1x

Dear God! Those greens are nice! So soft and receptive.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to find a file and sharpen my repair tool.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I wish more golfers would take the extra 4 seconds to repair their divots correctly.

I don't mean to pick on you, but I hear people use "divot" for the impact mark on the green. Do I have my terms confused? I thought divot was just the chunk of ground displaced by an iron shot on grass. Or does it also mean the ball mark on the green?

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nah... you are right Shindig. Ball marks are the marks on the green and divots are the displaced grass your club makes when hitting the ball.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5Β° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5Β°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20Β° IronwoodΒ 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51Β° MP-T Black Nickel ;Β 56Β° Vokey Spin MilledΒ 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic GripΒ 

Ball: Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...
I unfortunately, have been a pusher, because that is the way some other misguided golfer showed me. It takes longer, is obviously less effective and I could tell after playing a few rounds with better golfers that it was incorrect. I watched them do it, but they fixed their marks so quickly I couldn't see how to they did it, and was embarresed to ask. Now I know and will start repairing this way, just need to make more of them...

Classic 290 10.5 Miyazaki C. Kua 43 R

Β AMP 15 Aldila RIP F

Β Baffler Rail H 17 & 22Β Fujikura Motore S

Β S2 Forged 5-GW Nippon NS Pro 900xh R

SM 54 & 58 Vokey Nippon 105T W

Β Studio Style Newport 1.5

Great link. It's good to confirm what is the proper way to repair your ball mark.

Thanks,

Cheers,
Eric

what's in my Sun Mtn bag:
Driver: 3-Wood: Big Bertha Irons: Mizuno MP-54 Wedge: Mizuno 56Β°-10Β° Putter: Newport 2 Ball: Pro Vx

Good info on how to repair ballmarks. I think though that what corses need to do more is stress the importance of repairing ballmarks because on small courses and muni's are really beat up by people that dont repair them at all.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

So I was paying special attention to how I repaired ball marks this week, and I really don't see the problem with using a tee. The holes from the tee are not substantial, you cannot notice them. The other devices he recommends may be better, but to totally rule out using a tee (or even some of those other tools) as unexceptable is over the line in my opinion.

The article is great in regard to how to fix a ball mark, but I disagree with the "unexceptability" of some of the tools he criticizes. They may not be preferred, but they still work, and are better than not fixing your ball mark at all.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

• 5 years later...

The majority of yall already know the proper way to do this, as you probably hit a lot more greens than I do. Β But this is a mild rant.

I have seen a lot of people stick their divot tool into the green and pull up aggressively, using it as a lever to "lift up" the part of the green that has been depressed by the ball. Β This results in the roots of the grass breaking and is the improper way to fix a ball mark. Β Days later you are left with a golf ball size brown mark on the green due to improper ball mark repair. Β The sound of the roots breaking from across the green makes me cringe.

Incorrect: prying up grass that is depressed and breaking roots.

Correct: entering at an angle scrunching gross towards ball mark, and patting down.

In case I haven't worded it nicely here is the correct way to do it:

I was taught the same way your video shows when I started caddying at Bob-O-Link in Chicago while in highschool.Β That's how they taught us to do it. Β I still fix all marks this way and know it is the best way toi fix a mark.Β  But, no one else fixes that way :)Β Β 99%Β of people I play with fix them the way you first describe, they push in and pull up breaking the roots.Β  Even the pros fix them that way.Β  Watch on t.v orΒ in person if you can.Β  Almost every singleΒ pro will stick in their tool and pull up.Β I've been watching that specific act for decades. Β I think people feel this is the best way to get a flat surface.Β  If that's not it, I don't know why so many fix it like that especially the pros.

I also use a tee as I feel it's the best tool to use to fix ball marks.

This is always a good reminder, and especially because I see pros all the time in TV repairing their ball marks with the incorrect method. Saw Bernard Langer doing the pry up method in the old man's US Open. Also, why does it seem like none of the pros carry a ball mark repair tool? They always use a tee which is barely adequate...

Colin P.

I also use a tee as I feel it's the best tool to use to fix ball marks.

I'm sorry but I have to wholeheartedly disagree with that statement.

Colin P.

I'll argue all day long that a tee is hardly adequate.Β I've been fixing ball marks with a tee for decades and they are as adequate as it gets. Β In fact I'll argue that it's the best tool to use.Β  The tool companies will disagree because it's basically a free divot repair tool and they are in business to sell their own tools.

I've tested most tools.Β  Now they are even making tool that resemble tee's.Β Callaway has one out. Β They only have one prong instead of the old standart two. The one prong looks like a skinny tee but the problem with those is that they are too skinny.

The two prong tool is good to fix marks the wrong wayΒ by sticking and pulling up but I don't find them as effective to fix the correct way. In fact I have found they actually do more damage to the green especially compared to a tee.

Originally Posted by colin007

I'm sorry but I have to wholeheartedly disagree with that statement.

I agree. Β The ball mark tool seems to be at least twice as good. Β They should give cheap ones away at the club house to ensure more people do it. Β Instead - $15 for the pleasure.

Note:Β This thread is 3749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!