IGNORED

What has Golf Cost you this past year?

Boyder
Note: This thread is 5072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One year ago this week I got back to playing this game after a 10 year layoff. In that 12 month period I have purchased 1 full set of new clubs w/bag, then upgraded my driver - twice, upgraded my 3 wood - twice, upgraded my irons over the winter, upgraded my golf bag, purchased a wedge set, purchased 2 putters (1 new, 1 used), a 3-wheeled push cart, dozens of golf balls, golf gloves, golf shirts, 2 pairs of golf shoes, tees, practice aids (practice balls, net, small putting green), 1 lesson and a membership at one of my local courses.

Before golf I spent most all of my spare time and money on fishing - and I have always said that a boat is basically a "hole above water to throw money into" ... I am finding the same can said for golf ... "a set of 18 holes in which to deposit money".

I really do not want to add it all up at this point (especially when I add in money spent to actually play) ... but I know it's been at least a $2500 investment in the past 12 months.

So - I'm just curious ... how much do you figure you've spent on golf in the past 12 months?

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

Don't take any offense to this but it sounds like your spending way too much on equipment. I don't really know why anyone would need two new pairs of golf shoes...or why anyone would need that many clubs. All clubs do the same thing, they hit the ball....sounds to me like if you want get back into the game and make it fun again, you should probably spend more of your money on lessons or just more time practicing. I have been playing for three years and went from about a 20 handicap to a current handicap to 9.8 all with same clubs....its called practice. Now I don't have the money that you probably do and if you don't mind spending a bunch of money on equipment thats your choice. Just play a lot and spend a decent amount of time practicing and that will pay off in the end. Golf is a sport of habit and comfort, get comfortable with the clubs you have and just remember its not the club that hits the ball its the swing....

Driver: R5 XL with Fujikira Stiff Shaft
3Wood: T60 Ignite
Irons: 735 CM with S300 Shafts
56 Degree: Carnoustie Black
60 Degree: Carnoustie BlackPutter: 34" Mini T White IceBall: : WhateverShoes: Icon Snake SkinGolf is the only sport where they encourage drug use and its not illegal,...

im not doing this again.....i just looked at my "won" totals on ebay........
best investment of the year - a membership
paid $1500 for it and have carded 20 rounds already
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

What has Golf Cost you this past year??

My sanity!!

I added it up just now and it came to $1700 + or -. $675 of this was a membership, my first. Best investment so far!

I wish the memberships out where I live were as cheap as the memberships that some of you guys end up with. The cheapest membership in my area for a decent course is at least $3500 and that's WITHOUT the power cart (which I need because of my knees).

Anyway... I figure on an average of about $60 for a round of golf.

About 22 rounds since this time last year. $1320 just on greens fees.
New Driver. $200 for that.
Balls ($20/dozen). $140 on about 7 dozen balls.
Club Membership. $150 for the entry fee.
Driving Range ($8/bucket). $300 for around 40 visits since last June.

All total... probably in the $2100 range for a year.

If I figure it on a weekly basis, it's just about $40 a week. Considering it's my only vice... I don't think that's bad. I've got friends that spend more than that at the bar each week. Other friends who spend more than that on cigarettes each week. Other friends who blow through double that each week gambling and never win. So... no, I don't feel bad about it at all.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So far in 2010:

$800 - membership (like the posts above its been my best investment)
$700 - new Ping i15 irons (picking them up today! Been playing with oversized graphite shaft Calloway irons since HS)
$90 - Ping Anser putter
$60 - lesson
~ $200 - range expenses
~$400 - golf outing and other course fees.

250 a month membership fee so thats 3000 a year but I did get the 5000 initiation fee waved when I joined. 600 in tourney entry fees but I've won half of that back already.

Basically 3300... I had one year where I bet I spent 5000 easy
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I guess im getting by pretty cheap, I bought new irons last year, 3 wood, driver and new bag but spent only about $150, bought new shoes this year but only spent $28 including shipping but i like them. Was struggling with my driver so I got 2 new ones this year, finally decided that I liked the cheapest one, a nitro driver i bought off the clearance rack at kmart. If you include all the money spent playing(i dont have any memberships) the courses I usually play at arent expensive and range balls, figure 50-75 a week for about 7 months a year so that comes out to probably about $1500-$2000 a year total expenses playing golf i guess. I get a lot of golf balls and tees for christmas every year so I dont have to buy too many balls each year and i buy cheap ones, the $5 a dozen ones at walmart, so figure maybe 10 dozen of those a year. I might get a new bag soon as I have trouble fitting my clubs in this one easily sometimes and its frustrating at times to pull a club out and not get it back in, need to get one with individual slots for each club. I guess if you figure it out on a weekly basis for a whole year including not playing in the winter its really not an expensive hobby. I guess travel expenses would be another thing to consider, gas, food, drinks etc. Adding it all up, probably about $50 a week for a total year. The only club i might add is a longer hybrid, maybe a 17 deg 2 hybrid but im not really sure i could hit it farther than my 20 deg 3 hybrid which i can hit pretty good. Im single so I dont have a lot of expenses associated with being married and having kids so my other expenses arent really that much each week so I never feel like im spending too much playing golf and can go whenever the weather and my work schedule allow me to go.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

spent 100 bucks on titleist irons i bought from my friend. and then 20 bucks on a pull cart. 25 bucks on a cobra hybrid club i cant hit anymore.im gonna spend 15 bucks on a putter. then i bought a bag of tees for 6 bucks 2 golf gloves totalling about 12 bucks and then spent probly 18 bucks on golf balls. so adding in 10 bucks that i probly forgot about spending id say about 200 bucks on equipment this year.

then i got a 100 dollar associate membership to be in the membership league where the dues were 40 bucks. so it cost me 7 dollars to golf on week days and 10 on weekends. i golf 3 or 4 ties per week but i dont always pay cuz one of my friends works at the course so i would say i spend 24 dollars on greens fees per week. and 3 months of golf so far is probly 15 weeks. so thats about 360 bucks. so to golf its costed about 500 bucks.

so total, without counting gas, booze, or food, id say ive spent about 700 dollars. so that is where all that money is going.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So far this season:

-$250 for my membership
-$274 in general green fees
-$15 for access to my clubs' handicap computer

=$539

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

In about the last year and a half, probably about $300 in range balls on average, about 20 9-hole rounds at about $15 each, a nice round and a half last summer for $120 total, a set of used irons for $200, a pair of wedges and a 3W for $45, my 56° wedge for $50, a pair of golf shoes for about $50, about $45 in golf balls, and about $30 in gloves. That's a total of around $1140, so probably about $800 for the year. About to bump that up with a golf (+ US Open) trip.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

250 a month membership fee so thats 3000 a year but I did get the 5000 initiation fee waved when I joined. 600 in tourney entry fees but I've won half of that back already.

So worth it if you play more than once a week. I'm sure that includes free range as well. The range is expensive too. Some people go through over 50 dollars a week in range balls alone.

Best 9 holes: 35 (Trilogy at Redmond Ridge, 3163y, Par 35/70, 70.0/131)
Best 18: [b]77[b] (Palm Valley CC, 6545y, 71.4/126)
Notable career achievement: I have NEVER four-putt.

WOW... you guys getting memberships for under $3500 have it made

... the cheapest in our area comes in at $25,000 initiation fee and $295/month

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

The bulk of my golf expenses are greens fees I've played 28 rounds this year, and at an average cost of $25/round (senior rate on week days) , that's 700 bucks. Expect to play 30-40 more rounds, so that's another $1000. . I've not seen any memberships near me that are less than $2000, and I wouldn't care to play 50 rounds at the same place anyway.

Add in some gear, shoes, gloves, and golf costs me about $2500 a year. Shucks, that 's cheap. My health insurance that allows me to keep playing golf cost costs me 4X more than that.

I had a membership at a course a couple years ago, Crooked Creek in Mt Vernon, IL that cost only 300/year. I didnt renew last year or this year because I just dont go down there much, its about 30 miles from me, used to play there with some other friends but we dont hang out anymore. So its just out of the way now. I played there sat for the first time in a long time, its a quirky little course, not long by any means but got some of the trickiest greens anywhere. I couldnt imagine paying $2000 or more for a membership, thats just insane, I like to play at a lot of different courses and having a membership I would want to play at the same course all the time to get my money's worth. I can play 18 with a cart at many of the courses around here for $25 or less.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

Time i could've spent doing revision.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Note: This thread is 5072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!