IGNORED

Qualify for the US Open

Ben
Note: This thread is 5455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Correct, if you don't play to a certain standard, they will rule you ineligible to qualify.

I shot 82 in the open qualifier 2 years ago and that did it for me until I can prove to the USGA that I am qualified to play in it again. To do this I have to play in a few legitimate tournaments and write them a letter as to why I think I should be eligible again. This did not disqualify me from other USGA tournaments though as I still play in the pub linx and us am. The rule is like 9 or 10 strokes over the course rating.

What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot 82 in the open qualifier 2 years ago and that did it for me until I can prove to the USGA that I am qualified to play in it again. To do this I have to play in a few legitimate tournaments and write them a letter as to why I think I should be eligible again. This did not disqualify me from other USGA tournaments though as I still play in the pub linx and us am. The rule is like 9 or 10 strokes over the course rating.

That rule has concerned me for a while. In MN weather conditions could dictate quite a few big numbers by itself. Then throw in nerves, a run of bad luck, an unfamiliar course, and/or a just a bad day of ball striking and you can easily eclipse that number. This rule would make much more sense to me if it floated some based on the low round for the day and/or, if it was based on 2 or more years of bad performance. Don't get me wrong, I understand why the rule is there. You are competing for the greatest professional championship in the country (greatest open to amateurs via a qualifying process anyway) so I certainly understand their insistence for quality golf.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it though, my handicap is currently to high to make a run at it anyway. Good luck with the USGA. I'm very interested in hearing how it goes for you.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Does that rule go for the US Amatuer as well? I've always wanted to play in the qualifier to either one if I can ever get my handicap that low. What're the qualifications for the US Am, same as the Open plus amatuer status?

Driver: 905r 10.5
3 - Wood: 15degree
hybrid: heavenwood 20 degree
Irons: MP - 32 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey 54 and 60Putter: Anser 2 Belly

Best of luck! I'm curious to see how you do!

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Does that rule go for the US Amatuer as well? I've always wanted to play in the qualifier to either one if I can ever get my handicap that low. What're the qualifications for the US Am, same as the Open plus amatuer status?

Yes the same type of rule applies to all USGA tourneys...at least all the entry forms I've seen. Same with your state amateur tournaments.

Handicap limit to qualify for the Open is 1.4 Handicap limit to qualify for the U.S. Am is 2.4 Handicap limit to qualify for the U.S. Am Pub Links is 4.4

Sumo 5000 UST V2 S
906F2. UST X. 13*
Sumo2 hybrid 2. X flex. 17*
X Forged. Project X 5.5:
RAC 50* Vokey 54* and 58* Cherry bomb Newport 2 35" One Black

Wow. I salute all you guys with enough game to even attempt this challenge. Just qualifying enough to try to qualify is quite an achievement.

Kudos all around.

Please, win, lose or draw. Keep us posted.

Best of luck!

Just curious, in general, the public is allowed to watch these rounds? Or does it depend on the course?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm going to give it a shot this year, just hope my game is in shape on time! I don't have much expectation, but I enjoy getting out there with a caddy and walking a great course!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

I tried a few times a couple of years ago and it was a lot of fun. I was in a group with Tommy Two-Gloves one year before he "made it."

I am going to give it another shot this year. At the very least it is great competition that gets you ready for lesser tournaments.

Good luck!!!!
My Sticks
Driver - Adams Tech A4 9.5* Matrix Xcon 7 X flex 266 Freq
3Wd - Exotics CB2 15* Motore F1 S flex tipped to 275 Freq
Hybrid - Taylormade Rescue TP 17* & 21*
Irons - 4 thru PW Mizuno MP 62 +1/2 X100 shaftsWedges - Vokey 52* and Scratch Golf WLD grind 58*Putter - Rife IBF Tour Assie custom fitGri...

• Administrator
Just curious, in general, the public is allowed to watch these rounds? Or does it depend on the course?

I believe you can watch them. When Michelle Wie was trying to qualify people showed up and watched.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, you can have spectators. I've had at least one person in my groups bring people each time I've tried.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Yeah, you can have spectators. I've had at least one person in my groups bring people each time I've tried.

Would you prefer to have people watching or not have people watching? If you want spectators, there are plenty of sandtrappers in the area that might be convinced to come out and watch you, if that's something you'd like.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I called a couple of courses. Some do, some don't. The ones that don't were the very private courses and I wouldn't want to go anyway - very snobby.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I called a couple of courses. Some do, some don't. The ones that don't were the very private courses and I wouldn't want to go anyway - very snobby.

i hate snobs.

I'll try again this year. Last year, I missed going to the next round because of three 3 putts. Playing on a muni, It is difficult for me to get used to the speed of the greens. I tend to be too cautious even over 10 footers. This year I'm taking a new approach. I am still going to be very aggressive and not worry about my three footer coming back because I'll be aggressive on those too.

Also, last year I was amazed at some of the pin locations. We played a 260 yrd par three with the pin tucked less than 10 feet from the back right corner of the green. On top of that, it was on a little shelf that was curved behind a bunker that is to the right of the rest of the green. I made a great par and probably gained one on the field.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Would you prefer to have people watching or not have people watching? If you want spectators, there are plenty of sandtrappers in the area that might be convinced to come out and watch you, if that's something you'd like.

That's an interesting question. I think that's what's going to have to happen at the next Pepsi Tour event I play. Its nice to see crowds. I will definitely let everyone know what's coming up.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Playing with a crowd is great. I know in the past I have always played better with people watching. I think it forces me to concentrate more to avoid making an ass of yourself, both with your game and your behavior. I also enjoy interacting with the people, it fires me up. Let's face it, everyone enjoys people cheering a good shot you just hit. It's a huge moral and ego boost!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

Note: This thread is 5455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!