Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SAGolfLuvr

Is it illegal for a man to play with a golf ball designed for ladies?

21 posts in this topic

Just a question I was asked last week. I wonder what the golf community thinks.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Originally Posted by SAGolfLuvr

Just a question I was asked last week. I wonder what the golf community thinks.

Nothing in the rules of golf recognizes a difference between a man and a woman.  This means you're welcome to use a woman's ball, or clubs, or bag, or glove, or whatever you would like.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its not illegal but your buddies will probably make fun of you for it.

Nothing against it.  In fact, the Precept Lady was a pretty popular ball, especially for older men with slower swings but many didn't like hitting a ladies ball so they came out with the Precept Laddie... pretty much the same ball.

If memory serves me correctly, a tour player on the feeder series (back then the Nationwide Tour was called the Buy.com Tour) won using the Precept Lady.  While it didn't quite spark mass usage amongst the other players, it did affect the perception that a softer two-piece (and inexpensive) ball lacked the performance needs of a highly skilled player.

This explains why I could not find official rules, both past and present, on this subject. It appears that it is not illegal because there is no mention of it in the rules. As Shindig points out, there is no mention about clubs and other equipment. Thank you all very much for your comments.

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Nothing against it.  In fact, the Precept Lady was a pretty popular ball, especially for older men with slower swings but many didn't like hitting a ladies ball so they came out with the Precept Laddie... pretty much the same ball.

Not even just that - good low handicappers played the ball when it was cold, too. I still have a few around, and they'll probably be what I use here while temps are still in the 40s.

Originally Posted by SAGolfLuvr

This explains why I could not find official rules, both past and present, on this subject. It appears that it is not illegal because there is no mention of it in the rules. As Shindig points out, there is no mention about clubs and other equipment. Thank you all very much for your comments.

Why would it be illegal?  Its not as if using clubs or balls designed for women are going to give you more distance or more spin.

Yes, punishable by up to 12 months required viewing of the Oprah Network.

It's legal but you have to wear a skirt or it's a 2 stroke penalty per hole up to a maximum of 6 strokes.

I don't know if it is illegal - but it is certainly immoral and unethical.  What are you thinking?

What if it is a ladies ball in disguise, like the Precept Laddie?

I am nervouse about this one now because I mostly play these. :-O

the real question is, Is it illegal for a man to play with a lady designed for golf?

wait...that makes no sense....

I play the laddie/lady a lot. in fact I shot my lowest round to date (68) with one.

The lady was actually my ball of choice for quite some time. Loved the feel of it (no pun intended).

I have played with the Callaway Pearl, you know that sparkly one, for at least the last six years. Its the only ball I have been able to compress properly.