IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The media folks who are writing most of the articles don't know golf, let alone deliberate practice, which is a term that can be interpreted so many ways.

Very true. Question is though, you're thinking of doing your own 'Dan Plan' - learn to be a pro golfer from zero experience........ in fact a pro anything from zero experience. You read the blog. What have you leaned?

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

The media folks who are writing most of the articles don't know golf, let alone deliberate practice, which is a term that can be interpreted so many ways.

Very true. Question is though, you're thinking of doing your own 'Dan Plan' - learn to be a pro golfer from zero experience........ in fact a pro anything from zero experience. You read the blog. What have you leaned?

Don't even think of starting, but that's just me. :-P

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3330_10#post_1175768"]   [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3312#post_1175743"] The media folks who are writing most of the articles don't know golf, let alone deliberate practice, which is a term that can be interpreted so many ways.  [/QUOTE] Very true. Question is though, you're thinking of doing your own 'Dan Plan' - learn to be a pro golfer from zero experience........ in fact a pro anything from zero experience. You read the blog. What have you leaned? [/QUOTE] Don't even think of starting, but that's just me. :-P

Lol But where's the fun in that? I've actually learned a lot from The Dan Plan. Not necessarily how to go about it but I've learned about a few of the potential pit falls. Pretty much all of them actually .........

Pete Iveson

In fact here's a challenge - I challenge anyone to find anything in The Dan Plan posted in say the last 2 years that tells you anything at all about how to get better at golf or how Dan has gone about doing so. Practice routine, technique, drill, practice programme, fitness regime, any ball flight data....... anything at all. Could be wrong but I think you'll come up short.

Oooh, a challenge. 2 years, huh? I'll be right back....

Well, I took a look and got distracted by a new post. My synopsis:

He's went down to SoCal. He couldn't "clear his hips and drop the club into the slot for his draw swing," but he was able to do his "armsie fade swing."  Although I'm still not clear if that's something professionals teach- two different swings for draw and fade.  He learned a lot about his golfing buddy, because golf allows us to do that when we play together. He finished 14 holes before his back started hurting again. No score reported, but he did report that courses are different in SoCal than in Portland (fewer trees, more undulation). He's home now, and feeling better because his back is allowing more golf than just a few weeks ago.

Ok, you're right. I came up short with that recent blog post, but I'm sure I'll sure I'll have better luck next time. :-P

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3300_30#post_1175735"]   [CONTENTEMBED=/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3312#post_1174401 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED] In fact here's a challenge - I challenge anyone to find anything in The Dan Plan posted in say the last 2 years that tells you anything at all about how to get better at golf or how Dan has gone about doing so. Practice routine, technique, drill, practice programme, fitness regime, any ball flight data....... anything at all. Could be wrong but I think you'll come up short. [/QUOTE] Oooh, a challenge. 2 years, huh? I'll be right back.... Well, I took a look and got distracted by a new post. My synopsis: He's went down to SoCal. He couldn't "clear his hips and drop the club into the slot for his draw swing," but he was able to do his "armsie fade swing."  Although I'm still not clear if that's something professionals teach- two different swings for draw and fade.  He learned a lot about his golfing buddy, because golf allows us to do that when we play together. He finished 14 holes before his back started hurting again. No score reported, but he did report that courses are different in SoCal than in Portland (fewer trees, more undulation). He's home now, and feeling better because his back is allowing more golf than just a few weeks ago. Ok, you're right. I came up short with that recent blog post, but I'm sure I'll sure I'll have better luck next time. :-P

:) I'm kind of thinking you won't, there's nothing material in there, just a guy playing golf (or not playing golf right now as the case may be). Could be someone is going to dig up a gem that'll help my chipping technique or perhaps enlighten me on a way to better focus my practice but I'm still betting they don't.

Pete Iveson

I'm kind of thinking you won't, there's nothing material in there, just a guy playing golf (or not playing golf right now as the case may be). Could be someone is going to dig up a gem that'll help my chipping technique or perhaps enlighten me on a way to better focus my practice but I'm still betting they don't.

Well, I dug up this Rub e y:

Start your putting a foot from the hole, then work your way back an inch at a time per day. By the end of first year you should be more consistent with your 365 inch putts. However, you have to stop this long game practice.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Start your putting a foot from the hole, then work your way back an inch at a time per day. By the end of first year you should be more consistent with your 365 inch putts.

That's some shaky math right there. ;-)

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3330#post_1175801"] I'm kind of thinking you won't, there's nothing material in there, just a guy playing golf (or not playing golf right now as the case may be). Could be someone is going to dig up a gem that'll help my chipping technique or perhaps enlighten me on a way to better focus my practice but I'm still betting they don't.[/QUOTE] Well, I dug up this Rub[S]e[/S]y: Start your putting a foot from the hole, then work your way back an inch at a time per day. By the end of first year you should be more consistent with your 365 inch putts. However, you have to stop this long game practice.

Lol Like I said, I've spotted the occasional pit fall in the plan :) Btw I challenged you to find something in the last 2 years......

Pete Iveson

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3330_30#post_1175807"]   Start your putting a foot from the hole, then work your way back an inch at a time per day. By the end of first year you should be more consistent with your 365 inch putts. [/QUOTE] That's some shaky math right there.;-)

Spotted it too, was too kind to mention it :-)

Pete Iveson

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Quote:

Don't even think of starting, but that's just me.

Lol

But where's the fun in that? I've actually learned a lot from The Dan Plan. Not necessarily how to go about it but I've learned about a few of the potential pit falls. Pretty much all of them actually .........

No, wait... I learned something very important.

Golf is ****ing Hard!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

In fact here's a challenge - I challenge anyone to find anything in The Dan Plan posted in say the last 2 years that tells you anything at all about how to get better at golf or how Dan has gone about doing so. Practice routine, technique, drill, practice programme, fitness regime, any ball flight data....... anything at all. Could be wrong but I think you'll come up short.

Does doing the Trackman combine count?

All kidding aside, I asked him this question. Well. Maybe not exactly this question but something similar about how he was going about deliberate practice. His answer was not inspiring. Because I think he doesn't know how to go about practice. Erik has said this before, and it is true.

But even if he had a practice plan he is not the type of person to detail out what he is doing. That is just not his personality. He is much more of an artist, free spirited, than someone with a detailed list of what he is suppose to be doing. And I can't say this is the wrong way to go about this. Do you think Seve had such a detailed list? I get the sense he went about things creatively rather than detailing them in a blog or anything like that. The goal of his blog is to be a diary, not a plan for someone else to follow to get better at playing golf.

• Thumbs Up 1

Michael

[quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3330#post_1175824"][QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/3330_30#post_1175807"]   Start your putting a foot from the hole, then work your way back an inch at a time per day. By the end of first year you should be more consistent with your 365 inch putts. [/QUOTE] That's some shaky math right there.;-)

Spotted it too, was too kind to mention it :-)[/quote] Yeah, I caught it earlier, but got wrapped up in work stuff. I'll just call it an "estimate". :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

All kidding aside, I asked him this question. Well. Maybe not exactly this question but something similar about how he was going about deliberate practice. His answer was not inspiring. Because I think he doesn't know how to go about practice. Erik has said this before, and it is true.

But even if he had a practice plan he is not the type of person to detail out what he is doing. That is just not his personality. He is much more of an artist, free spirited, than someone with a detailed list of what he is suppose to be doing. And I can't say this is the wrong way to go about this. Do you think Seve had such a detailed list? I get the sense he went about things creatively rather than detailing them in a blog or anything like that. The goal of his blog is to be a diary, not a plan for someone else to follow to get better at playing golf.

You got me, last one is under the 2 year deadline :-) The thing is everyone talks about Dan's lack of distance off the tee (and to be fair he's mentioned it himself quite recently) but the last thing we have to go on was back in Nov 2013 where he was carrying the ball 228 yards on average with a driver. Who knows how far he carries it now, I don't.

Regarding what you've said about the way Dan is going about it I'm not disagreeing but isn't that the irony - there's no plan. Seve had massive natural talent to fall back on and regularly did as off the tee was not where his talent lay, but the concept of The Dan Plan is to test a hypothesis and as far as anyone can tell the basis of that hypothesis (deliberate practice) isn't being tested. It might be, I have no idea because no one has a clue about what deliberate practice Dan does, it's never mentioned, it mostly seems to be just going out and playing golf. So the question is can an average guy just go out and play lots of golf and end up good enough to play on the PGA Tour? I don't know but I think that's been tried before ie by every keen recreational golfer ever to play the game. Surely the point was to try something a little different?

I have no problem with Dan, actually I quite like the guy on a personal level (although I think he's made some mistakes, especially by choosing not to engage with people who are following him), but the whole concept was to go out, engage in deliberate practice, chart the lot and see if the 10,000 hour theory could be shown to hold true. That hasn't happened and at the end of the 10,000 hours all anyone will be able to say is he played lots of golf and got to a certain level. Not sure what that will prove.

Pete Iveson

Quote:

I agree, but since he put the words "deliberate practice" in his aim/goals statement, I was hoping to see more related to it, like him mapping out his swing, nothing super detail oriented, similar to short, slow, specific, simple. I think his interpretation of deliberate practice is more academic based or at least, different than what I'm thinking.

I would go as far as to say that abman's video has a good bit of creativity to it and has a decent amount of detail.

• Upvote 1

Steve

I agree, but since he put the words "deliberate practice" in his aim/goals statement, I was hoping to see more related to it, like him mapping out his swing, nothing super detail oriented, similar to short, slow, specific, simple. I think his interpretation of deliberate practice is more academic based or at least, different than what I'm thinking.

I would go as far as to say that abman's video has a good bit of creativity to it and has a decent amount of detail.

He also put the word "Plan" in there. I STILL believe Dan could turn it around but what he needs is a plan. At this moment in time he doesn't appear to have one.

Re Abman's video, I honestly learned more about his methodology, practice technique and theory for improvement than I have about Dan's in the last 3 or even 4 years - basically since he ditched the "I'm going to get to Tour Pro stats from x distance from the pin before moving further out." That was a methodology. From memory it lasted to about 8 or 10 feet then was ditched - pretty silly idea anyway.

I get that Dan isn't very scientific in his approach, what I don't get is calling something a "Plan" but actually not having one. I suppose you could call it litterary irony but I'm guessing it's not deliberate.

Dan now needs a Plan or the remaining hours in the 10,000 hours will simply tick away (if he ever starts recording them again of course). If he'd listen to anyone he may even get an outline for one.  Kind of hope he does.

Pete Iveson

Abman's problem in my opinion is he is working from feels. He tells you constantly things he "feels". Chasing feels is like chasing the end of the rainbow. It is a exciting feeling but it is fleeting and can disappear at any time (as it appears it does for him).

Michael

Quote:

Abman's problem in my opinion is he is working from feels. He tells you constantly things he "feels". Chasing feels is like chasing the end of the rainbow. It is a exciting feeling but it is fleeting and can disappear at any time (as it appears it does for him).

True.  I'd speculate that if he did have a good pro, his vids about his progress would be more along the lines of seeing how deliberate practice works. But we already have some of that in the swing threads.

Steve

I'm surprised I'm the first to mention this, but all this talk of talent and the drive to practice for hours on end in terrible weather etc as different things, no one has picked up that this is talent. Talent comes in many forms and I believe that you don't necessarily need all of forms to be great at something. You need a lot of them but you can make up for deficiencies in some aspects by being brilliant at others. Zach Johnson is a perfect example, not in the same ballpark of Dustin Johnson, Rory etc in the athletic department but there must be some other aspect (whatever that may be) that he has managed to make up that shortfall that he excels at.

Dan on the other hand, I think we are yet to find he excels at any elements of talent.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Note: This thread is 2404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!