IGNORED

Wedge Shaft Flex vs Stiff Flex, Spinners, Etc.

Note: This thread is 2847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That depends on the type of ball, too. I doubt Tim Clark was playing a Callaway Warbird at The Players.

Top Flite XL circa 1998 actually. He got a great deal on em by bulk. Bought em in yellow too, but ppl think he was using a Srixon...ppl be craaaazay maaaan

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Flite XL circa 1998 actually. He got a great deal on em by bulk. Bought em in yellow too, but ppl think he was using a Srixon...ppl be craaaazay maaaan

LMAO I was saying NO WAY as I was reading, until I got to the last line lololol

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What makes it a wedge shaft vs a non-wedge shaft? Is there a reason you couldn't put these in other clubs? Also, where does the "Wedge" flex fit into the scheme of the TTDG, stiffer than S300?

Do a search on "wedge flex" here in the Golf Equipment forum. Last Fall, we had at least two good threads on the topic, with several links to technical golf sites on the matter.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 3 months later...
I'm just curious how the new DG Spinner wedge shaft from True Temper actually works to create more spin out of wedge shots.

Knowing absolutely nothing about it, I would assume, that it has something to do with shaft flex and lag at point of impact?

Anyways I am really curious about it, if anyone has the low-down then please let me know.

Titleist Bias - 907D2 9.5 V2 Stiff | 906F2 15 V2 Stiff | 710MB 3-PW DG300 | 52, 56 SM Vokes | Tom Slighter - 2007 Tacoma FPR

I'm just curious how the new DG Spinner wedge shaft from True Temper actually works to create more spin out of wedge shots.

Im not sure the exact reason why it does it but I used the DG high launch shafts and they seemed lighter and had were whippy for a stiff flex. Those shafts would throw the ball up so high on every iron. I had 7 iron shots spinning backwards on a normal basis with them, so I didnt like them. Would be good for a senior player though. Im sure these spinner wedge shafts are the same way.

I believe it has to do with the kick-point, but I truly do not know much about shafts.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Im not sure the exact reason why it does it but I used the DG high launch shafts and they seemed lighter and had were whippy for a stiff flex. Those shafts would throw the ball up so high on every iron. I had 7 iron shots spinning backwards on a normal basis with them, so I didnt like them. Would be good for a senior player though. Im sure these spinner wedge shafts are the same way.

actually the spinner shaft was designed to the exact opposite. They wanted to promote a lower launch trajectory, so if you look at the shaft, it supposedly gets slightly thinner below the grip (give it a high kickpoint maybe?). My guess is something to do with the kick point as well.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Are we all agreeing that it changes the ball trajectory (from high to mid, or mid to low)? I was under the impression that it would perform in the same fashion as regular wedge shafts but (bonus time) add more spin.....

Titleist Bias - 907D2 9.5 V2 Stiff | 906F2 15 V2 Stiff | 710MB 3-PW DG300 | 52, 56 SM Vokes | Tom Slighter - 2007 Tacoma FPR

i'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to shafts but I'm curious as to how the high kickpoint promotes more spin.

On a driver typically, a high kick point promotes lower, less spin trajectory. So assuming on a wedge shaft, the high kick point promotes a lower trajectory...where and how does the high spin come in effect?

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

i'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to shafts but I'm curious as to how the high kickpoint promotes more spin.

I thought with wedges the lower the trajectory the more spin you get. So by lowering the trajectory of the shot they are also increasing the spin at the same time. How the relationship happens I am not sure.

It launches the ball lower but with more spin.
I'd say the two must cancel each other out since it's only a couple hundred RPM, just a marketing ploy.
that's what I think anyway.

It's like when you hit a chip shot that comes out hot but with a load of spin, it'll still check up but you could just throw the ball up into the air and it'll stop the same if not quicker.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I haven't tried this myself, but I am curious so maybe I will have such a shaft installed in my 58* ..... I doubt of adding 700 rpm will add much, we'll see.

This is what I could find at the True Temper Website : "The DG Spinner has been designed to increase ball spin during those all important wedge and approach shots. Powered by a specially engineered section just beneath the grip, DG Spinner can increase your ball’s spin rate by as much as 700+ RPM. The result: A wedge shot with greater stopping power on the green and the proven accuracy that has made Dynamic Gold technology the number one iron shaft on tour. "

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I haven't tried this myself, but I am curious so maybe I will have such a shaft installed in my 58* ..... I doubt of adding 700 rpm will add much, we'll see.

Sounds like a specific bit of shaft engineering but not sure how it would work. One thing you can try if you're using 0.370" parallel tipped shafts is to tip one for, say, an 8- or 9-iron and install it in a PW i.e. soft step it. Seen this talked about quite a bit on other forums as one way to give a bit more rip to a wedge. Not tried it but I guess this would make the tip a bit more active through the ball and (hopefully) lead to more spin. Might be able to install a 8- or 9-iron 0.355" taper shaft into a wedge and get a similar effect....perhaps.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Catalog info on the Rifle Spinner Wedge shaft:
- Offered in PrX flexes 4.5 to 6.5, in half flex increments.
- All flexes have mid/low bend point, and medium tip stiffness.

Playability factor code (what shaft delivers) is *B2M. (* replaces SPF flex code digit indicating what club you hit from 150 yds: 3 = 6i / 5 = 8i )
* = Distance digit
B = Mix of distance and control
2 = Medium trajectory
M = No correction (for hook or slice)

Spinner 4.5 would have code 3B2M
Spinner 6.5 would have code 5B2M.

Golf Galaxy crew says spinner flex is good for people who hit mostly partial wedge shots, rather than full ones.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 2 weeks later...
I am also interested in these shafts, there is a guy on ebay that is selling new scratch wedges with this shaft and didn't know anything but here is a link:

http://thelaunchmonitor.com/index.ph...ix13&Itemid;=53

seems to work if believe the numbers....

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff
Taylormade V Steel 3 and 5 wood

Bridgestone J33 R Hybrid 21* NV Shaft
Mizuno MP Quad Cut 52* and 56* Spinner Shafts

Scotty Cameron Newport Two TeI3

• 2 months later...
How many of you play non-standard shafts in your wedges? Intuitively, it makes sense to put the same shafts in your wedges that you have in your irons, but is there a reason for playing a different flex? What are the pros and cons of stiffer/weaker shafts in wedges?
Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

I can't answer your pros and cons question, but I can point out that when I was looking at Titleist wedges when I bought mine, the standard spec was a stiff shaft. I got them custom with regular shafts to match my irons though.

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

Nearest I can tell, most standard wedge flexes are a Dynamic Gold S200. My irons have S300 shafts in them, but I'm debating whether I'd be better off with an X100 to keep the ball flight down. Thoughts?
Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

Note: This thread is 2847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!